Flat Pedals For A Roadbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I've got a CF Roadbike which came with toe straps so I chucked on a spare set of flat MTB pedals I had lying around.

I want flats on all of my bikes just for consistency (so I don't have to try and remember which type I have when I go to put my foot on the floor).

The MTB pedals look a bit naff on the roadbike and the toe strap pedals without the toes straps tend to flip over the wrong way up (they are only flat on one side).

Any recommendations for flat pedals suitable for a road bike?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I use wellgo pedals, although not sure what makes flat pedals unsuitable for a roadbike?
A bit like these, although with reflectors (came from LBS)
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Wellgo-Alloy-Pedals_129215.htm

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Can you not take the cage off of the pedals? they usually have two small bolts and nuts holding them on.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I use wellgo pedals, although not sure what makes flat pedals unsuitable for a roadbike?
The MTB pedals I buy are big with loads of pins which suits me when I'm riding my commuter in workboots or thick soled trainers.

Not so nice when riding in a thin soled lightweight trainer. They also look totally out of place on a road bike.

The toe strap pedals which came with the bike are perfect apart from the fact that they flip wrong way up whenever you put your foot on the ground.

Ideally, I'd like pedals the same size as the toe strap type (supplied with the bike), but without the straps and not one sided.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Can you not take the cage off of the pedals? they usually have two small bolts and nuts holding them on.
That's what I've done and I'm using the bike like that now.

Trouble is, they flip over wrong way up every time I put my foot down.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
What do those look like? Try your LBS?
get some basic resin pedals?
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/comp...-pedals-916-inch-thread-plastic-black__326657
I just found these.

1622468433659.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Trouble is, they flip over wrong way up every time I put my foot down.
Flipping them over is an art, just practise.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Look fine, but expensive at £30 :ohmy:
(and sold out everywhere)
They are expensive but my experience of cheap pedals is not good. Nothing worse than a seized bearing on a pedal half way around a hilly island with no way back apart from walking.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Never had an issue myself but I have lots of bikes and pedals :whistle:
This was a pedal I bought about ten years ago off the shelf in an Aussie bike shop. I'd done maybe ten miles on it when I started to hear an annoying click and another 10 miles further on, it stopped rotating on its spindle.

I bought the pedals as part of a quick service I was doing to the family bikes prior to us going to an Island off the coast of Australia which is very cycle friendly.

Basically, I had to walk/cycle back by walking up the hills and coasting down them. On the flat bits, I propelled myself with my feet.

When I got home, I took the pedal apart and the bearings were bone dry.

I'm so paranoid about dodgy pedals, that I keep a spare set at work just in case I get a failure on the way in.

Top Bottom