Flat pedals for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirtyhanz2

Can any one recommend any makes of flat pedals for touring worth having a look at
Going to have a go at flats I have used clipless for years but now fancy a change

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The offerings from Nukeproof are fantastic. I have switched from DMR V8 pedals and they are much better.

Twilkes

Guru
The offerings from Nukeproof are fantastic. I have switched from DMR V8 pedals and they are much better.

From someone who has only ever used flat pedals, and tends to assess them with the questions 'Are they present?' and 'Do they make the cranks go round?', how would you describe the difference between different quality flat pedals?

The only other thing I can think of is the grip it provides to the sole of the shoe, but apart from a set of plastic pedals that I wore smooth through use, I've never had a problem with feet coming off of flat pedals, even when pushing/pulling at the 12/6 o'clock positions.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How readily they spin and how long they live are another two key variables. A cheap pedal with plastic bushings isn't going to work as well either way as one with easily serviceable cup and cone ball bearings behind good flexible seals.

I like Union SP 808 or Vavert leisure/commuter. I think I would like mks lambdas but I've not yet tried them.

I have Shimano M324 on my tourer (and cargo bike). Love em!
They're a combi with flat one side and standard Shimano clips on the other. Best of both worlds?
Yes, good pedals, though a pig to service.
On pure flats, I 'd recommend the OP look at MKS sylvan touring. Don't cost much, good grip for shoes, easy to service and so no reason why they couldn't last a lifetime of touring.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Santa bought me some Wellgo C32B pedals, which are the first flat pedals I’ve owned with sealed bearings. Not enough miles on them yet to give any meaningful feedback, but they do spin very well!

Possibly not ideal for remote touring as I assume that when the bearings go they will need replacing rather than servicing.

https://en.wellgopedal.com/products_detail_8_212.htm

I use something very similar, although I think mine were branded Raleigh.

About 3,000 miles so far and no sign of any play or binding.

I prefer the rubberised platform to pins, which I can sometimes feel depending on the shoes I'm wearing.

Less chance of shin scrapes, too.

gasinayr

Über Member
Used the older version of these for years thought they are great
www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/mks-urban-platform-pedals/

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been using this type for nigh on 20 years and can't fault them. They're so grippy the foot doesn't slip and i've never had a shin injury from them.

51nBPtwxsdL._AC_SY400_.jpg

The 'screw in' pins above, I feel are grippier than moulded pins (below). Although the odd pin does go missing but doesn't affect the grip.

41StIqwgcRL._SX466_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dirtyhanz2

Hi thank you all for your reply I like the look of the more traditional MKS pedals but also like the crank bros pedals I have not rode in flat pedals for years so could be a little bit of a learning curve going to move to them getting more into remote cycling and it's one less thing to worry about and I think my knees would appreciate a change
Thanks all for the suggestions

Yes, good pedals, though a pig to service.
On pure flats, I 'd recommend the OP look at MKS sylvan touring. Don't cost much, good grip for shoes, easy to service and so no reason why they couldn't last a lifetime of touring.
I was looking at these the other day on http://Bike24.com and was curious as to what made them "touring" pedals. Any ideas?

Personally on my bikepacking bike I have gone with DMR V12 magnesium pedals which are probably overkill for most people here, but on my touring bike, a Surly LHT, I am replacing the existing pedals with DMR V8s.

Both work really well gripping my Scarpa Approach shoes which I wear touring.

I was looking at these the other day on http://Bike24.com and was curious as to what made them "touring" pedals. Any ideas?
I think it's essentially that they are flats. Which has a certain advantage for touring. And that they have a good grip for a variety of shoes. I have long used clipless but prefer these pedals on my expedition tourer. It s often heavily loaded and i have to push it round obstacles sometime. I was grateful for the flats paired with tough shoes when I had to push the beast over a canal cobbled bridge.

edited - clipped changed to "clipless" to remove confusion (including mine) - I meant SPDs - whoever coined the phrase clipless for these should be shot. Don't like toe-clips.

Last edited:
I think it's essentially that they are flats. Which has a certain advantage for touring. And that they have a good grip for a variety of shoes. I have long used clipless but prefer these pedals on my expedition tourer. It s often heavily loaded and i have to push it round obstacles sometime. I was grateful for the flats paired with tough shoes when I had to push the beast over a canal cobbled bridge.

edited - clipped changed to "clipless" to remove confusion (including mine) - I meant SPDs - whoever coined the phrase clipless for these should be shot. Don't like toe-clips.

I understand and appreciate the advantage of flats for touring, using them myself (DMR in my case), but I was curious as to what was special about these particular pedals to warrant the touring moniker. I am suspecting now that it is nothing more than marketing. Fair call?

Top Bottom