Flat pedals, hmm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
OK, I spent most of the '90s getting used to SPDs. Now they're completely second nature, and I don't feel safe or efficient without them.

Why does everyone now use flat pedals?

I mean, trail centre riders, magazine tests... all the bikes have platform pedals. How do they do it? How do you stay on the bike? How do you lift the thing over roots and obstacles?

I'm in the market for a new bike next year, but not sure if I want to be learning to ride again while not actually attached to the bike...

Drago

Legendary Member
All the groups you cite are dedicated followers of fashion. Use what works for you.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Buy the bike you want and fit the pedals you prefer....

Simples!

BTW: I've never clipped in on my MTB's and can still manage to fall off occasionally.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, I spent most of the '90s getting used to SPDs. Now they're completely second nature, and I don't feel safe or efficient without them.

Why does everyone now use flat pedals?

I mean, trail centre riders, magazine tests... all the bikes have platform pedals. How do they do it? How do you stay on the bike? How do you lift the thing over roots and obstacles?

I'm in the market for a new bike next year, but not sure if I want to be learning to ride again while not actually attached to the bike...
I spent all of 90 minutes in the 90s getting used to SPD pedals and have been using them ever since on all my bikes whether MTB or carbon road bike. In fact, on the odd occasion I have used flats for convenience at centre parcs and similar it has felt entirely wrong and not entirely in control......

See tha many tales of ridsers firmly attached to the bike, as the bike topples over. Rental bikes are never equiped with clipless for good reason. If you want to use clipless pedals, bring your own.

Colin_P

Guru
Flats are the best as your footwear is not limited. From flip flops to a pair of stout broques, flats have you sorted.

Those stupid bicyclist shoes make you walk like you have pooed yourself when you nip to the shop for a pint of milk. Mind you, if you suddenly find yourself in the middle of a Roy Castle convention they can double as tap dancing shoes.

See tha many tales of ridsers firmly attached to the bike, as the bike topples over. Rental bikes are never equiped with clipless for good reason. If you want to use clipless pedals, bring your own.

Rental bikes are equipped with flat pedals for good reason. That reason is because there are so many different types of clipless out there, it is impossible to stock them all.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I found the answer for non off road use is pedals with flats one side and SPD on the orher. Simples.

Hmm... tried those and didn't like them. It felt like I was always on the 'wrong' side. It was just one more thing to think about. I know, there's no pleasing some folk!

I still have them somewhere; I might give them another (Well)go.

I like to try stuff before I comment on it's usefulness and I had SPD's on my MTB up until 4 years ago.
Gave them a year.
I can understand them being used on road bikes but not MTB's,and I did not get any benefit from being clipped in.
Grippy Hiking trainers and a decent pair of pedals are all you need IMO.
I fell off a couple of times with the Spuds and it aint no fun having a bike attached to you(I twisted my groin and calf with the weight and momentum of the bike attached).People will probably say "Why did you not unclip before you fell off ?"
Well I was too busy protecting my upper half by putting my hands down to cushion the fall(this is a natural instinct incidently),to think about unclipping.You don't get prior warning to falling off
So,lets see the stuff I have bought or tried and consigned to Room 101.
Dropper Post.
29ers.
Mudguards.
27.5ers.
Ergo grips.
Schwalbe tyres
SPD's
Since the turn of the century MTBing has become a bit pampered and people talk about making it easier.
It's supposed to be a challenge ffs.If people want to make their MTB'ing easier,my advice would be to ditch the expensive MTB,buy a cheap bike from Halfords and stick to bridleways and woodland paths.
I'm all for innovation,advancements in suspension,lighter wheels and frames and the introduction of disc brakes.
But there are things that are just plain wrong and take the challenge out the sport.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

D

Deleted member 26715

I only fall off when I an clipped in, but then again as I only ever ride when I'm clipped in then I'm going to aren't I, I did come off 2 weekends ago & hurt my calf muscle quite badly which if I hadn't have been clipped in may not have happened, but then again we'll never know as I was.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
it's entirely possible to bunny hop with flat pedals.

Indeed it is, as anyone who grew up in the 80s riding BMX knows (ie me).

I like clipless pedals and have them on most of my bikes but I managed perfectly well for the first 30 years of my life without them. The main advantage of flat pedals is that you can just hop on the bike without having to think about changing your footwear.

Hmm... tried those and didn't like them. It felt like I was always on the 'wrong' side. It was just one more thing to think about. I know, there's no pleasing some folk!

I have M324 pedals on my fixie. Flipping them round to the correct side when you start off is no more of a problem than doing the same with single-sided road pedals. (Yes, I know, a fixie with flat pedals... I like flat whites and have a beard too. Somebody shoot me.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom