Flat pedals, hmm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I have clipless pedals on my 'good' bikes and flats on my shopper. I much prefer the clipless pedals for riding in, road or MTB, but there's no denying that the shoes required, even with MTB pedals, aren't ideal for walking around Sainsbury's.

I do find that my feet slip off the flat pedals sometimes. The pedals are reasonably grippy - I replaced the cheap and nasty all plastic pedals that came with the bike. I imagine the problem could be overcome with different shoes, but for me that defeats the object of having a bike you can just get on and ride without thinking about what you're wearing.

Horses for courses, IMO, and not something I 'd berate anyone for either way.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Eh? If your foot is attached to the pedal, you can pull up with it while you push down with the other, as I frequently do!

It's not exactly sales bullsh*t, is it? :rolleyes:
you're pulling up with little muscles on the back of your thigh, meanwhile another huge thigh muscle on the other other leg is pushing down and doing all the work. You get little benefit from pulling up... unless of course, you're only using one leg.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
you're pulling up with little muscles on the back of your thigh, meanwhile another huge thigh muscle on the other other leg is pushing down and doing all the work. You get little benefit from pulling up... unless of course, you're only using one leg.

Obviously most of the power comes from the down stroke, but it's perfectly possible to pedal just using the upstroke... if you're clipped to the pedals. Try doing it without!

Also, on extreme climbs in a high gear (singlespeed for instance) you're limited to the force your weight can put through the pedals if you're not attached. With SPDs or the like, when seated, you're pulling against the saddle, like a recumbent rider (pushing against the back of the seat).

MontyVeda

Obviously most of the power comes from the down stroke, but it's perfectly possible to pedal just using the upstroke... if you're clipped to the pedals. Try doing it without!

Also, on extreme climbs in a high gear (singlespeed for instance) you're limited to the force your weight can put through the pedals if you're not attached. With SPDs or the like, when seated, you're pulling against the saddle, like a recumbent rider (pushing against the back of the seat).
You seem to be happy to buy into the myth of the upstroke. If it makes you happy, so be it.

Why would anyone want to pedal just using the upstroke?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
You seem to be happy to buy into the myth of the upstroke. If it makes you happy, so be it.

Why would anyone want to pedal just using the upstroke?

It's not the point. Myth? In what way is it a myth? I pedal in circles, which is impossible if you're not attached to the pedals!

C'mon, this is pretty basic stuff. It's not quantum gravity.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here

Interesting opinion. Try checking out your hamstrings, I'll post a link to some google images below. But this is a major muscle group. You're slightly right, in that most of us are far too quad dominant. For me this has led to Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome, basically the quads have pulled the patella out of position, and it's bloody painful.

Working with clients, especially cyclists and runners, I usually try to get them using quads, glutes, and hamstrings in better balance. You'd be amazed the difference a bit of work on your glutes will make, if you have lazy glutes (as many of us do due to sedentary lifesytle, and no, it does not get corrected just by riding your bike).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...hWmJsAKHZ6_BXUQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=IG_ISj3xLWz5uM:

Quite.
But it's not really important either.
From what I can gather from the OP,you find it strange that people still use flats ?
Have the Flatties answered your question?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
To a point! It's evident that fashion plays a part for those coming from a BMX / street background (which would seem to include magazine staff).

I just think, surely, hurtling downhill at a trail park has to be safer and more fun if you're attached to the pedals, but vive la difference, eh?

MontyVeda

It's not the point. Myth? In what way is it a myth? I pedal in circles, which is impossible if you're not attached to the pedals!

C'mon, this is pretty basic stuff. It's not quantum gravity.

We all pedal in circles around a central pivot point called the bottom bracket.

It's easy to imagine you're getting a significant benefit from the upstroke, but the benefit is minimal if you're pushing down with the other leg. This is hardly rocking horse science. Tests have been done, you get virtually nothing from the upstroke.

Ciar

Veteran
I learnt to ride a bike many moons ago on flats and i learnt the basics on a BMX back in the early 80's bunny hops, endo's so on so forth and still utilize some of that now hehe.
always run a decent set of flats on my MTB currently V8's as i prefer to be able to take a foot of the pedal when needs be.

as for SPD's they are purely for commuting and nothing else for me personally and i run the Shimano M324 so i can sit in the lovely traffic of London and use the flat side if needs be, win win :smile:

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Ok, so if it is possible to bunny hop with flat pedals (and I accept that it is; I've seen people do it), what's the technique?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ok, so if it is possible to bunny hop with flat pedals (and I accept that it is; I've seen people do it), what's the technique?
It's a scooping action with the feet, in the same way that manuals and wheelies depend on a circular rather than a direct pull up movement on the bars.

I'm crap at both

. A bunny hop pulling straight up through the pedals is actually called a pedal lift.

Get the right pedal and shoe combination, and your feet don't sray very far from the pedals. Grippy shoes and pinned pedals can form a decent enough weld.

Klassikbike

Sure I can go uphill with only using the uplift.
It seems flat-pedal riders always seem to point out that all the positive aspects of being clipped in are a mith :bicycle:
I think both systems are great and everyone should use what they feel best and more confortable using. For me not being clipped in I just cannot reproduce this perfectly round pedaling motion, yes the great majority of power output comes from pushing the pedal down but for smoothness and a slight increase in efficiency being clipped in helps.
If you only ride Downhill you will not really need it but for me for longer Trail and XC rides I would´t want to live without.
That being said I know that flat Pedal technology has greatly evolved with shoes such as the Adidas Terrex or 5/10 shoes... and the much improved pedals such as DMR Vaults.

Top Bottom