Flat pedals, hmm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Sure I can go uphill with only using the uplift.
It seems flat-pedal riders always seem to point out that all the positive aspects of being clipped in are a mith :bicycle:

nah... it's just the claims of 'extra power' that is often pointed out as a myth. Whilst there is extra power, it's so minimal that it's barely measurable.

I'm a flat pedal rider. I don't give a stuff what anyone else does :okay:
I always have trouble with cleat alignment as I'm a bit duck footed, but when I get a minute I'm going to refit my Crank Brothers Eggbeaters and have another bash.
I ride a hardtail so going down a flight of stair can be interesting with flats!

Ciar

Veteran
my method (not that i ever do it these days)... cranks horizontal, back foot/pedal vertical, lift the bars and push the back foot backwards, and sort of up too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxF1Nsrc6S0

when i bunny hop i pull the front up while sort of clawing at my pedals, it's worked fine since i was a kid in the early 80's, only difference is the bike is now an MTB rather than a BMX, also i run DMR V8's and Teva Links those two combined are great, going by the video i learnt the American as that's what was going on when i was a kid, we all used to watch the videos and read the mags.

rovers1875

Veteran
Sure I can go uphill with only using the uplift.
"For me not being clipped in I just cannot reproduce this perfectly round pedaling motion"

I prefer flats myself, I do however agree with most of what you said, But I am just curious about the above sentence, are your pedals / cranks loose? Mine are fixed and cannot turn in any other direction than perfectly circular.

Jody

Stubborn git
Whilst there is extra power, it's so minimal that it's barely measurable.

The only time I can spin my back wheel up when riding in a straight line on the flat is when clipped in. The power is not sustainable and it bares little advantage whilst sat down but the extra torque does exist. Try as I might i can't spin the rear when on flats unless climbing. Granted it's not a scientific way of looking at it but there is definitely more than a minimal a gain.

Klassikbike

This explains it quite well. That picture is from the Bikefitting.com tool to measure pedal efficiency and power output.
bikefittinganalysis2.jpg

With regular flats or flat pedals with pins all of the output of power through the Pedals will be in the threee darkest shades of blue pictured above.
with clips you can generate some additional power with a more round pedaling motion with continuous power output, it is minimal and is pictured above in the 2 or 3 lighter shades of blue above.
A Pro or Someone with strong wattage output can increase this effect more that a regular weekend cyclist like me.
Correct positioning of cleats, usage of cleat spacers (If one leg is shorter than the other) or stiffer soled shoes all have additional minimal positive efects to this power output.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It seems that everybody is polarised... I guess unless you do loads of mountain biking with both options, you'll never feel equally confident with both.

It took me years to get to the point where SPDs were second nature; I have a pair of single sided SPD/platforms and even those don't inspire confidence like the double sided 'standard' ones. I find I'm thinking about them when I use the former whereas the latter are instinctive.

All that said, I just ordered a pair of pure flat pedals as I want to learn to wheelie, or at least feel more confident with the front wheel in the air. I'd also like to feel more confident when I'm not attached to the bike.

Yeah,apparently it's 20% more stroke power.:laugh:
I wonder if I could use them in the bedroom
you should be pushing, not pulling.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
The only time I can spin my back wheel up when riding in a straight line on the flat is when clipped in. The power is not sustainable and it bares little advantage whilst sat down but the extra torque does exist. Try as I might i can't spin the rear when on flats unless climbing. Granted it's not a scientific way of looking at it but there is definitely more than a minimal a gain.

Of course, if you're pulling up on the back pedal you're also unweighting the back wheel, so it will break traction easier...

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I did my first trail centre visit just using flat pedals.

It was great, I didn't crash but I also didn't feel like I was in control as much as I'd usually be. I found I wasn't turning the bars enough; possibly this was also a symptom of modern geometry and a lazy front end that needs muscling, but not being able to steer through the pedals must be a factor.

I'm going to stick with it, though; it makes sense to be 'ambidextrous' with putting a foot down, which I never have been, so I'm working on that, too.

The pedals I'm using (Wellgo DMR copies) are extremely grippy but I think it'll take a while before I feel confident with the wheels off the ground...

prawny

I'm a flat pedal convert. Used SPDs (Tioga Clipmans!) in the 90s and I use Look pedals or SPDs on my road bike.

I feel more confident pushing on the pedals round corners on my MTB on flat pedals, I've unclipped before steering with my feet. And Also I like being able to jump over the bars if things go horribly wrong.

For long xc rides though I'm happy clipped in, but for short hacks or anything techy I prefer flats.

Superstar Nanos and Teva Links here.

And Also I like being able to jump over the bars if things go horribly wrong.

Not arguing with your preference for flats prawny but I'd love to see a vid of you demonstrating that technique without doing yourself serious damage. And how wrong do things have to go before you bale? -

Top Bottom