Flat Pedals & Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nytsom

I have a question? MTB flat pedal Recommendations? But more importantly; What shoes are best for flat pedal riding?
I use clipless pedals on all bikes, but need to use flat pedals on my 29’er. Should I look for dedicated MTB Flat pedal shoes or boots? or maybe find some suitable trail walking shoes to ride on flat pedals? (don’t want to be slipping off pedals when conditions are wet and slippy)
What is everyone using?
Thanks, Replies appreciated
M…

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have a question? MTB flat pedal Recommendations? But more importantly; What shoes are best for flat pedal riding?
I use clipless pedals on all bikes, but need to use flat pedals on my 29’er. Should I look for dedicated MTB Flat pedal shoes or boots? or maybe find some suitable trail walking shoes to ride on flat pedals? (don’t want to be slipping off pedals when conditions are wet and slippy)
What is everyone using?
Thanks, Replies appreciated
M…
DMR V8 or V12,s and a pair of Five Tens if you want a really grippy shoe with a more solid sole for pedalling, otherwise a sturdy trail shoe should be fine.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just bought a Giant MTB with flat pedals. I will change them for pedals with flats on one side and spds on the other.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Another for 5:10s - but in winter you might want winter boots - or I use a lightwehhgt pair of walking boots to keep feet dry & toasty

OP
OP
Nytsom

Nytsom

Just bought a pair of DMR V12 mag pedals for £37, inc postage "new" all we need now is some grippy Shoes.
Like the look of the 5/10's free-rider shoes; seems everyone recommends them.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I use the Wellgo copies of the DMR V8 pedals on all three of my MTBs, and would recommend them.

I wear walking boots or work boots in the muddy season, or any old casual flat shoe in the summer.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I use the Wellgo copies of the DMR V8 pedals on all three of my MTBs, and would recommend them.

I wear walking boots or work boots in the muddy season, or any old casual flat shoe in the summer.
same here... I've ridden in leather 'office' shoes, walking boots, baseball boots, trainers, wellies, anything ...the welgo/DMR pedals seem to grip to any sole.

I can recommend these.

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Splinter-Mountain-Biking-Shoe-p/pol01-4786-p.htm

I got a pair for not much over £30 and another for around £40.

Both in New Year sales - if you hang on they may approach that again in the New Year - Polaris seem to be trying to steal PlanetX's crown for yo yo pricing.

Note the caution in the listing about sizing - my first pair, although supposedly the "right" size, are tight - hence I got the second pair.

I use mine for touring with a loaded exped bike using MKS Sylvan Touring pedals.

crossfire

I use Welgo pedals on both the hybrid and mtb, along with Salomon walking trainers with deep tread, feet not slipped off yet. Looking for new trainers and have my eye on a pair from Decathlon that have deep tread

unlikely

It all depends on what kind of riding you want to do, and how much money you want to spend.

V8's/V12's are a good compromise. Certainly not the grippiest or lightest, but more than adequate and good value for money.
I personally don't like the thickness of them, and currently run Hope F20s. They are expensive, but they do last, however unless you know you want to use flat pedals more, I wouldn't advise spending that much money on pedals.

Shoe wise, anything with a reasonably flat softish sole should good, however flat pedal pins can destroy soles very quickly, so it's a case of compromising between not too soft that the pins tear the sole apart, and not too hard that the pins don't grip very well.
Classic cheaper recommendation are waffle sole Van's, which you used to be able to pick up relatively cheaply on offer, however it's not something I personally use.

FiveTen's are the best, however you pay for that performance, and most of them are like sponges so not ideal for wet winter rides!
I've tried numerous shoes over the years, but FiveTen's just work. Your feet stick, they don't get bounced of in the rough stuff, and the soles last well. I can generally get well over a years use out a pair, and that's covering over a 1000 miles in pretty steep terrain.

I have however just got some RideConcept's TNTs, and I'm quite liking them. I do find my feet floating about on the pedals a bit when climbing for some reason, but on descents they're fine. Certainly far better than the Ion Teflon soled things I have as back up pair, that I bought because FiveTens were proving hard to find (I thankfully got a new pair in Les Deux Alpes this year, which highlighted just how rubbish the Ion's are!)

Plus today proved they're not as sponge like as what they look, as I managed to stall while crossing a stream and soak both feet over the ankles, yet they weren't noticeably wet by the time I finished, whereas FiveTen's would of been like a couple wet sponges, and take days to dry out.

Given you normally ride clipless, if you're getting flats to work on technique, I'd highly recommend some shin pads, or at least thick trousers/long socks, until you're confident about keeping your feet on the pedals. Getting a pedal in the shin or calf, hurts. Generally eye watering, and not wanting to look kind of hurt!
It can lead to some brilliant scars though :-)

I saw this thread a fw days ago but never felt I could add anything to the discussion.I've been riding a combination of DMR V8 pedals and some old Cat(erpillar) trainer/light walking shoes. I ressurected the shoes when I started MTBing a few months ago (I'm a long time roadie). These shoes have been pretty good and I bought them years ago for a trip (not cycling) to Arizona/Utah.
However, my kind wife bought me pair of Five Ten Freerider DLX (previously known as Elements I believe). I took them for a ride today over Porridgepot Hill area for anyone who knows the area. It was light and day difference, no slipping and losing contact with the pedals. Feet dry despite the mud and puddles... plus, when starting from a stopped position I could back pedal to put my foot in a horizontal position to make a solid takeoff. Not cheap shoes but first impressions were very positive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom