Flat Pedals & Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
DMR Vaults plus 5 10s.
Classic combo
1577474896508.png

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I use a pair of walking trainers in mild weather and walking trainer style boots in the winter.

Reasonably stiff and grippy sole.

One thing against both pairs is they are quite a big shoe.

That depends a little on size, but I do find my heel clouts the chainstay and crankarm occasionally.

I expect those 5 10s would be a better job, albeit at twice the price.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I use 5 10's and Hope F20's on my Stumpjumper :okay: They're an excellent combination and I rarely come of the pedals anymore but I still prefer the SPD's on the other bikes :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps the OP could explain why he "needs" flat pedals on his 29er. Once we understand the need - presumably orthopaedic or medical - then we are better placed to make a recommendation.

If it is not an actual need, but a desire, then nothing we recommend carries a high likelihood of being suitable on the basis that it is very much a taste and preference thing, and until you've been riding flats off road for a bit you won't know where you're taste and preferences will lie in that regard. You may need to suck it and see until you've experienced a few types.

Smudge

Veteran
I have flat pedals on all my bikes. I use walking shoes and hiking boots depending on summer, winter, wet or dry.
Summer dry.... Peter Storm Filey walking shoes.
Summer wet.... Peter Storm Camborne walking shoes.
Winter.... Brasher hiking boots.
This footwear i also wear for plenty of other activities as well, as i would never buy specific cycling shoes that would only get used for cycling.

flying start

Veteran
DMR Vaults are a fantastic peddle there much slimmer than the dv8 and v12s. Never ridden in 5.10s most of my mates were them when out riding. I never liked the bulky look and feel round the ankles. I always had a set of Van's to ride in then had a pair of hi top Adidas trainers. You'll be better with a flat stick sole than one with a tread pattern as they'll stick to the pins better. Also you can buy extra long pins for the DMR paddles. Ones tried the hope f20 when they first released them but didn't like the feel of the middle pins so went back to the Vaults. Check out Teva links they used to be a good alternative to 5.10s.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I am reading all this with a newly-inspired interest. I recently acquired a full-sus bike that I intend to go trail centering on, as well as seeing how well it deals with local byways and the Ridgeway. I am a full-on SPD convert and use them exclusively on my hardtail and gravel bike. There’s no way I would change this. However the new bike, currently pedal-less, has made me think about what to do. Flats are de riguer for this sort of bike and technical use, and I am willing to give it a go. I wondered about swapping pedals dependent on use - SPDs for local use and flats for trail centre, but I can see this getting tedious if I flip-flop between the two. I’ve never seen pedal that combines SPD with a proper flat platform.

I guess try-it-and-see is the best approach!

Gunk

Guru
I swap regularly between flats and SPD, takes just a couple of minutes

Gunk

Guru
If you do want flip flop then Shimano PD-A 530 SPD pedals are a reasonable option I use them on my commuter bike.

86B69649-645A-481D-9D60-19B18B38761E.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
I would never recommend those for a MTB.
The last thing you want to worry about when riding some rough terrain, is what side of the pedal you need to get your foot on.

I agree, that’s why I swap. But if he’s mainly riding trails they’re fine.

Top Bottom