FNRttC Flemish Night Ride to the Kust 2017 (CLOSED)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
At the risk of stating the obvious, yes....
Mind the tramlines though

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have to say. The 2017 ride was probably one of the very best night rides I have ever done with the Friday's. Absolutely fantastic night/day. So I would happily return from FNR retirement for another one.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Some further thoughts & info for those who might have decided to check this thread out....
As to when, I would suggest sticking with the May Day bank holiday. Which, just to be confusing, in 2020 is a Friday, May 8 (for the VE anniversary). Which would make this the first FFNRtK. Those who wish/need to have a rest before travelling home would then still have the Sunday for doing so. Alternatively, the second holiday weekend, so Saturday 23 May, which leaves Sunday & Monday for travel and recovery.

The halfway stop would be t'Hoekske in Ghent. This is a 24 hour snack bar, which by all accounts does a most decent service. The only alternative would be vending machines or self-catered options, as there is literally nothing else open in Flanders overnight. We've generally stopped in Bruges for a further break, and then on to a late breakfast at Patisserie Caruso in Ostend, generally arriving there at 10 or so.

Getting there:
1. Megabus is a cheap option, if you have a folder. it would be about fourteen hours for me, door to to door.....
2. Ferry from Dover to Dunkerque, ride across the border, either take the coastal tram or ride on to De Panne, train(s) into Brussels- either direct or changing at Gent St Pieters for a faster service. Belgian railways require a separate bike ticket (€4 per journey)- no reservations, so it's subject to space being available. A dedicated bike space seems hit and miss in practice- some trains have a huge dedicated space, others I've ended up in the vestibule. Folders travel for free if folded.
3. Eurostar. By a country mile, the easiest option, particularly from further afield. Full-size bikes need to be booked (separately from train booking, unfortunately) with their luggage service, EuroDespatch. There are usually two spaces per train for fully assembled bikes (now £35 when booked more than 120 days in advance), boxed bikes cost £30 (they can supply their own). Best option is to ring ED (no online booking for luggage) and have the booking page at Eurostar.com open at the same time so you can match availability/pricing to suit. You can also get the bike on an earlier/later train and pick it up from the Brussels South luggage office. Folders travel free, they must be no larger than 85cm in any one direction and bagged before you go through the security gates. They're not too precise about the sizing- Chutney my Dahon is ever so slightly larger folded, but there was no problem getting over and back.

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I have to say. The 2017 ride was probably one of the very best night rides I have ever done with the Friday's. Absolutely fantastic night/day. So I would happily return from FNR retirement for another one.

Agreed and it was the York Hull ride which is similar in feeling to Brussels Ostend that prompted me to think of this. Obvs the date needs to be decided in conjunction with other FNRttC events next year.

Blimey - £35 to Brussels on the train? It's £25 on the train from de Panne.
Also, to be v clear: ferry to Dunkirk then cycle to de Panne from where you get the train into Brussels.
For the return from Ostend you can take the team from Ostend to see Panne then cycle to the ferry and usually take the 4pm to Dover, arriving at 5pm UK time.
Last time Mrs Mmmmartin and I rented a flat and had a few days in Ostend around this ride.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
This ride will happen.

Just need to fix a date for next year, that decision will be made among the ride leaders later this year. We have to take into account other rides we're doing and they are set by the availability of church halls, leaders, that sort of thing.

But this will happen.

wanda2010

Guru
YES!!!

Ivo

Some further thoughts & info for those who might have decided to check this thread out....
As to when, I would suggest sticking with the May Day bank holiday. Which, just to be confusing, in 2020 is a Friday, May 8 (for the VE anniversary). Which would make this the first FFNRtK. Those who wish/need to have a rest before travelling home would then still have the Sunday for doing so. Alternatively, the second holiday weekend, so Saturday 23 May, which leaves Sunday & Monday for travel and recovery.

The halfway stop would be t'Hoekske in Ghent. This is a 24 hour snack bar, which by all accounts does a most decent service. The only alternative would be vending machines or self-catered options, as there is literally nothing else open in Flanders overnight. We've generally stopped in Bruges for a further break, and then on to a late breakfast at Patisserie Caruso in Ostend, generally arriving there at 10 or so.

North of Ghent the Q8 service station in Zelzate is open all night and has a decent supermarket with fresh bread, even at night.
I've used it quite often during night rides.
Between Zelzate and Brugge I've seen a few very late fritures during my 2016 flèche.

Ivo

Thanks, @Ivo that's vey helpful.
you'd be welcome to join us.

It won't involve a lot of planning from my side ;)

A lot of it will depend on both Dutch/Belgian audax calenders and my work schedule. So I'll probably only can commit about 3 weeks before the ride.
Organisation is easy, The local train to Liège stops at 1km from my appartment, from Liège I can use the main line Welkenraedt-Oostende.

U

User169

Just cycled past 't Hoekske this evening!
IMG_20190717_204530.jpg

Top Bottom