FNRttC Flemish Night Ride to the Kust 2017 (CLOSED)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just been rereading the thread about the first edition in 2013. Simon in his report 'Asse was asleep, and Aalst was even sleepier'. First part still applied on the other runs, but Aalst was definitely not sleepy....

Have just discovered through a bit of googling that the ginormous complex in Aalst I had always thought was a brewery (on account of its smell) is in fact a wheat starch processing plant (making maltodextrin and the like) which also acts as a combined heat and power plant & bioethanol facility. Well I never....

The first time we went to t Hoekske at Kortrijksepoortstraat 1, Ghent 9000, Belgium ring if nec: +32 9 224 24 70
It's open 24 hours but shut in August I think when the students are gone. Best to check if you go alone.
But beware of the tram lines in the street outside.

If you turn up the street before, using the cyclist conteaflow, you can avoid the tram tracks, sorrry @Agent Hilda this info comes 5 years too late :sad:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
the ginormous complex in Aalst I had always thought was a brewery (on account of its smell) is in fact a wheat starch processing plant
Aha. So @User was correct is saying it had an odd smell for a brewery. And I was thinking it had a slight hoppy aroma.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Aha. So @User was correct is saying it had an odd smell for a brewery. And I was thinking it had a slight hoppy aroma.
I grew up in a town with a brewery and a maltings. The smells were much more like the malty bit than the brewy bit.

Trickedem

Guru
which also acts as a combined heat and power plant & bioethanol facility. Well I never....
That is how they make bioethanol. They brew beer, then distill it. At this point you can call it bioethanol, or you can fiddle with it and turn it into Vodka or Gin, or you can keep it a while in wooden barrels and call it whisky

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
I'm surprised that last railway bridge between the Town and the Port didn't make an impact on the profile: it felt like a mountain. Otherwise as all can see it was flat....

Here is evidence of some elevation ...

oyW954WBdkSEX6wVQ2hVc9YCTD63Y33YeJlUdPk45yL7XYgCeKrcz5JWyc1Cv_tIaJw2FAndusyjx9yI82w=w400-h600-no.jpg

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Hi everybody, thanks for your post-ride posts and thank yous. Wonderful to read! I always feel the ride isn't over till everybody is back home.

It has been just over a year since I last blogged, in fact, it was the last FNRttK 2016. I'm out of the habit! But here are the links - I'll soon know if they work or not (I'm not getting on too well with all the new Google + stuff).

MyBlog
MyPhotos

NdNrYs26c0JmWKIPXkUt9WdbM_dgVOI48NFyDFPAeK8OHdtsJ1PIegQsfnSpva9W3clLWE4yY5KYbTgWiSA=w400-h600-no.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hi everybody, thanks for your post-ride posts and thank yous. Wonderful to read! I always feel the ride isn't over till everybody is back home.

It has been just over a year since I last blogged, in fact, it was the last FNRttK 2016. I'm out of the habit! But here are the links - I'll soon know if they work or not (I'm not getting on too well with all the new Google + stuff).

MyBlog
MyPhotos

View attachment 351656
Links work :smile:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Last edited:

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I have always enjoyed it. It would depend on when.
What are your thoughts about the midway stop?

Top Bottom