FNRttC Flemish Night Ride to the Kust 2017 (CLOSED)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sitting in the Eurostar waiting area ready for the 1452. Got back to the south station 1140 or so- I was being ultra-cautious about allowing enough time, especially as Belgian stations aren't especially bike friendly (opted for stairs rather than escalators....). Will do a full report when I have a physical keyboard, but that was a very, very, very fine night. The absolute best night ride ever, I'd say.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
The absolute best night ride ever, I'd say.
I'd agree. Leaving aside The. Best. Meal. Ever. (about which we shall surely talk whenever we quaff ale) there's something magical about those traffic-free canalside roads, that deep red sun coming up through the trees, the tiny empty villages. And it was good to be accompanied by Frank (Belgian audax royalty) not to mention useful to have his local knowledge when we were faced with those massive projects to improve the infrastructure (something we in the UK have forgotten about). And such good humoured company.
A fitting way to mark the final FNRttK.

StuAff

Best Night Ride Ever. Ne plus ultra. Peak ride achieved. The one ride to rule them all.

Yeah, really.

Really, really.

Really, really, really.....

When you start off with the finest ingredients then prepare them to the highest standards, Saturday night/Sunday morning is what you get. If it were a meal, three Michelin stars. Football team: Brazil 1970. F1: Ferrari in Schumi's pomp. Simply amazing.

Oh, and last FNRttK…well, in this form, I'd guess so. But last ride on a Saturday night from Brussels…I doubt it. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about how best to continue Flandering. Well, I know I'm not…but that's one to be for another time.

None of the not-London starting rides get big crowds. Disappointing, not least because the journey to get to the, er, journey, can be part of the fun. And I'm over 75 miles from London and usually travelling straight after work anyway, no good telling me it's a bit of bother. When you end up at the jewel that is the Grand Place (or Grote Markt, for the Flemish), too much like hard work? Really? To get there, as on all but the 2014 installment, I went for the Trans Europe Express (wouldn't that be a fitting name...!!) option. Eurostar has (vocal) critics over inflexibility on ticket changes, the new trains' supposed lack of comfort, and so on…well, every journey I've been on with them has been a comfortable, on time experience (oh, and well fed too in Standard Premier). This was no different. 1224 train into Waterloo (SWT met their own high standards on punctuality), over to St Pancras, bike handed over at the EuroDespatch office in smooth painless fashion by 2.30. Gordon turned up as I left ED & we were joined by Matt in plenty of time for pre-boarding nattering.

Bang on time into Brussels South, we didn't even need to go to the luggage office to get the bikes as a nice SNCB gentleman was already unloading them & was happy to hand them over on the platform (deserted by the time we were ready to leave it!). Then I led a pootle (taking extra care with tramlines, naturally) to Fin de Siecle. The queue wasn't actually that bad when we arrived- I think it was the second time I've joined it inside- and it does give one the time to consider the menu options on the wall (paper menus are drinks only). Makes the ordering process rather faster than the queuing...not that I needed time to consider. Jambonneau it was, Matt followed suit. Gordon managed to find a suitable vegetarian option amongst all the meat. After desserts, round to the Golden Boot where we met up with the early arrivals and waited for the others. Somehow resisted the rijstaart I spotted on the cake table, but had a hot chocolate (warm milk with DIY chocolate buttons) which hit the spot nicely. @theclaud was unfortunately unable to make it due to a signal failure which stranded her at Swindon with no options to make St Pancras in time for the last train. Which to my mind just means another reason to have some ride or other over here next year... @BalkanExpress shepherded the 2208 contingent round from the station, David C of our halfway hosts made his way down from Gent, and we were (exceptions noted) assembled. And, safety talk done, we made our way north west.

David had come up with a revised route out of town which skipped the dubious charms of a retail park's car park and multiple opportunities for tramline interaction, and that worked very well. We had a photo op outside the Eddy Merckx bike factory, just the other side of the Brussels ring road. A few miles out we were joined by Frank S, organiser of the Brussels-Paris-Brussels 600 amongst other events and a highly experienced audaxer in his own right. A nice guy and a very handy chap to have on the night- he did a lot of waymarking & multiple roadworks required impromptu rerouting, nothing like a bit of local knowledge..there's a bridge in Denderleeuw that seems to have had constant works on it for three years...a few places required walking or circumspect riding. I was glad on multiple occasions to have brought a titanium bike with 35mm tyres and carbon seat post…still rattles on cobbles though! Aalst saw the one and only incident of the night when @StuartG caught his wheel somewhere on a precinct and went down, bumps and bruises only thankfully. As ever, the town was full of high spirits (in multiple senses). The Only Way is Flanders?

On we went, past the airliner at Wetteren, to our halfway hosts in Heusden.
Oh
My
Word.
David, Karen (and Karen's sister who made some soup) somehow, somehow, raised their own ridiculously high catering bar yet again. Soup, cakes, quiches, pastries, breads, cheeses, fruit, meats, brownies…all highest quality and huge quantities. They could have fed thirty. Even if they all ate like me. Think I'm kidding?
33527359424_9fe6faa41c_h.jpg

Tim's photograph of his table should give you some idea. I was at the other one- equally groaning under the weight of goodies. The cakes and quiches were on a third table....

Suitably restored (and doggy bagged) on we continued into the early light. Second stop at Bruges station- coffee mostly, I don't think anyone was hungry just yet…We agreed to circumvent the city centre- beautiful but cobbles, cobbles and some more cobbles. Final stretch was glorious as ever, plenty of cyclists out and about on the canal paths (no huge disorganised chain gangs this time thankfully).

Finally, Ostend, approaching Caruso from the west this time. Team Ferry were on the 1600 and decided to part ways and make haste at about ten miles out rather than risk missing the boat, job done as they've already posted. As for the rest of us, on entering town went past AZ Damiaan (where I spent the night under observation following the prang two years back), immediately having the thought 'been there, done that.…'.

Bang on schedule, at 11 (a first I think!) we arrived at our destination. A copious breakfast beckoned at Caruso, where we were joined by the lovely Mrs Brice. Much nommage, and a few drinks, ensued. Then, off we went our separate ways. I had a few hours to kill (hotel was 500m away, check in at 1500) and 91 miles on the clock. So, up the promenade to Middelkerke in the crosswind I went, drivetrain thoroughly gritted by the wind and turbulence from passing trams. Given slow progress (the wind, dodging pedestrians, etc) I couldn't be bothered to do more than a few more miles, and back into Ostend with 102 miles bagged. Sat in the main square eating some leftovers before check-in and a nap.

Monday's return leg went pretty smoothly- excellent breakfast, went for the 1008 train from Ostend as I knew Gent St Pieters (changing trains) isn't very bike friendly- no lifts, and I wasn't risking the escalators. Back into Brussels at half eleven, and Eurostar check-in wasn't open for another hour. Another painless bike hand over at the luggage office (found it right away this time, unlike on arrival last year!). Attempted in vain to find non-extortionately priced refreshment on the station. Checked in and got through security in plenty of time. Standard Premier ticket for the return Eurostar, and thoroughly sated by an excellent lunch. Back into St Pancras bang on schedule just after four, and I made the 5pm train to Pompey. Back home at 6.30 or so. Litespeed thoroughly degritted this morning...

Thanks one and all. An extraordinarily fine night. Same time next year, in some way shape or form? If I have anything to do with it, absolutely!

Last edited:
First of all

Els, thank you, thank you, thank you, for 5 years of great rides: each one better than the last

David and Karen, thank you for the vast feasts and the hospitality at the most inhospitable of hours.

The weather gods, 5 years without a truly "Flemish" wet and windy evening.

And of course to everyone who has made this such a fun ride.

Stu has said pretty much everything which can be said about the night, yes it really was that good. I am so glad that Ian enjoyed it too, at one point we had a conversation about the lack of hills and I was a bit worried that the route may have felt a little, err, flat.

And, my apologies to one and all for stuffing up the timing on one of the early junctions and sticking everyone in the path of the merging traffic. This is one thing we will not repeat in the future.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am so glad that Ian enjoyed it too, at one point we had a conversation about the lack of hills and I was a bit worried that the route may have felt a little, err, flat.

Flat is an understatement ^_^ Flat as a flat thing from planet flat.
The only hill of note, of which I savoured every single climbing cm, was a bridge on the way to Dunkirk ferry...I was tempted to go back over a few times to remind myself what climbing was.
I didn't change gear the whole ride, that was a first for me.

But yes, it was such an enjoyable ride. Not much will beat it.

Only one downer.. @theclaud 's non appearance.

wanda2010

Guru
First of all

Els, thank you, thank you, thank you, for 5 years of great rides: each one better than the last

David and Karen, thank you for the vast feasts and the hospitality at the most inhospitable of hours.

The weather gods, 5 years without a truly "Flemish" wet and windy evening.

And of course to everyone who has made this such a fun ride.

Stu has said pretty much everything which can be said about the night, yes it really was that good. I am so glad that Ian enjoyed it too, at one point we had a conversation about the lack of hills and I was a bit worried that the route may have felt a little, err, flat.

And, my apologies to one and all for stuffing up the timing on one of the early junctions and sticking everyone in the path of the merging traffic. This is one thing we will not repeat in the future.

Adds the ride to 2018 diary.

StuAff

Thank you @swarm_catcher, it was a great ride, and I am so glad I got to do it before it finished. The Grote Market in Brussels is even better than The South Bank as a departure point. A train of red lights up ahead looks even better reflected in a canal. The hospitality at the halfway stop is even better than The Cabin. Le petit dejeuner copieux is even better than a Wetherspoons full English. Belgian football fans are allowed way more exuberant behaviour than English ones, letting off flares and big bangers in the street, before going off to see their team lose to Oostende. A beer menu of 100 Belgian beers in a bar in Bruges is even better than a visit to All Bar One.
Apologies to Sal and Sonia for dashing off without saying goodbye. I really really wanted to get on that next train and get some sleep.
Claud it was so sad you were thwarted by GWR.
I hope we can do something next year, even though it couldn't match up.
I was somewhat pleased Charleroi lost the match given the shy retiring fan base made so much noise!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Have you imagined selling your alternative idea to a group of Belgian cyclists; take a ferry from Dunkirk to Dover, ride to a services on the M20 and back?
For those not privy to our canalside midnight chat, my Cunning Plan to replace the FNRttK involved a night ride from Calais (easier and cheaper than Brussels to get to) and heading along the French canals out of Calais southwards and on deserted French rural roads through Picardy then westwards and back through the hills around Boulogne to Calais. The halfway stop would probably have to be a French motorway services. However, try as I might, it was hard sell.

But I have another plan that's so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Part of me is reluctant to discuss next year already as it feels like we are already consigning the FNRttK to history.

Part of me thinks that there is no more fitting tribute to Els efforts than to want to do something next year.

Pretty much all of me thinks we will spend months discussing what else we can do and then end up digging out the GPS track and doing the same again:okay:

StuAff

Part of me is reluctant to discuss next year already as it feels like we are already consigning the FNRttK to history.

Part of me thinks that there is no more fitting tribute to Els efforts than to want to do something next year.

Pretty much all of me thinks we will spend months discussing what else we can do and then end up digging out the GPS track and doing the same again:okay:
My thoughts exactly. It ain't broke, don't fix it…and don't leave it in the garage, take it out for a run :smile:

StuAff

A note that the Eurostar booking window for next year's possible ride date (April 28) opens on October 28....

In the unlikely event no-one else fancies doing it I'd probably do it solo. Yes, even without a groaning table of food waiting in Heusden...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
In the unlikely event no-one else fancies doing it I'd probably do it solo. Yes, even without a groaning table of food waiting in Heusden...
The first time we went to t Hoekske at Kortrijksepoortstraat 1, Ghent 9000, Belgium ring if nec: +32 9 224 24 70
It's open 24 hours but shut in August I think when the students are gone. Best to check if you go alone.
But beware of the tram lines in the street outside.

Last edited:

StuAff

The first time we went to t Hoekske at Kortrijksepoortstraat 1, Ghent 9000, Belgium ring if nec: +32 9 224 24 70 But beware of the tram lines in the street outside.
Indeed, that was my thought for a halfway, 24hr dining options in Benelux are somewhat limited.

Top Bottom