FNRttC Flemish Night Ride to the Kust 2017 (CLOSED)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
my travel plans are non-existent: thinking of hiring a Brompton and going on Eurostar there and back.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
So are mine. Sorta thinking of ... ferry & cycle to Brussels via Ghent & cycle/tram back to Dunkirk. Wanna keep me company?
Hmm. Would take a few days I think. There's a hostel in de Panne I've used, and there is always the vrienden. Bruges has a nice one I've used a few times. Could even get the train into Brussels rather than deal with traffic.
Let me see how Life And Stuff is looking.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
would have to be an extremely early ferry as Dunkirk to Ghent is 140k, would suggest Roeselare which is 85k, where we might arrive a bit later than a host would prefer after your journey from London, checking in an hour before the ferry leaves, two hours on the ferry and an 85k ride.
but this is worth thinking about and maybe others would join us.
But I can't commit to going over early just yet, other things going on might get in the way.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Alternative- ride to De Panne (avoid the retracting bridges), train to Ghent from there.

StuartG

slower but further
If the weather is benign I'm even thinking of cycling to Dover Thursday. Take an evening ferry. Stay in the B&B Hotel Dunkirk Thursday night. Cycle 80 miles to Ghent Friday. Then a 35 mile wander into Brussels Saturday afternoon for the main event. Hopefully good sense or the elements will prevail before then.

New route out of Brussels is sorted^_^

We still go past the largest brick built Basilica in the Northern/ Eastern hemisphere:okay:

Thereafter there is a bit less faffage and, while we will probably do about a km more to get the Groot Bijgaarden, we will pass the HQ of Eddy Merckx bikes* :bicycle: and the castle.

*okay, it's a box of a warehouse, but still, Eddy Merckx...

StuartG

slower but further
If the weather is benign I'm even thinking of cycling to Dover Thursday. Take an evening ferry. Stay in the B&B Hotel Dunkirk Thursday night. Cycle 80 miles to Ghent Friday. Then a 35 mile wander into Brussels Saturday afternoon for the main event. Hopefully good sense or the elements will prevail before then.
Wimped out of all that I'm afraid. Instead I'm on the 17:04 Eurostar and I think I eventually cracked the Eurodespatch thingy (which took all day) which means i might even be on a proper bike. Which would a first for this run.

I'm also looking for a change of eating venue. Any suggestions?

I've booked Sunday night in the B&B Hotel in Dunkirk as I'm going to meet up and go touring with my club around the cemeteries starting Monday. Ride or tram? That decision I shall leave to the day ...

[QUOTE
I'm also looking for a change of eating venue. Any suggestions?
.[/QUOTE]

Where did you eat last time?

I don't get out so much downtown these days, but will put my thinking cap on and come up with a few suggestions in the general vicinity of the Grand Place.

Top Bottom