FNRttC Flemish Night Ride to the Kust 2017 (CLOSED)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Sorry @swarm_catcher but I am going to bail as I have decided to sign up for inaugural Trans Kernow adventure over that weekend instead.
Wow! What an adventure. Have fun!! Thanks for letting me know.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
In the absence of @swarm_catcher who will no doubt be along soon, this post says the ride is now closed. If you are still keen but not on the list we can stick you on a waiting list in case of cancellations. But don't get your hopes up.

Mr @BalkanExpress sir - we can take extra special care near tram tracks, even perhaps walking for a while. There will be two groups so we won't drive coach and horses through the law about cycling in groups.

I had a quick recce over the weekend. There would be one crossing of tram tracks at right angles and then a section of about 400 metres where we can probably ride along the footpath/ walk as needs be.

For those who like to streetview these things it would be Avenue De la Basilique, avenue René Comhaire, rue de Grand Bigard and then tram tracks on avenue de roi Albert and the first bit of Brusselstraat. I will have another look nearer the date. Final call is with @swarm_catcher as we Don't want to mess up her ride and this route can always keep til next year. (When I also have, if needed a tramtrack free route to the all night cafe in Gent)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I had a quick recce over the weekend. There would be one crossing of tram tracks at right angles and then a section of about 400 metres where we can probably ride along the footpath/ walk as needs be.

For those who like to streetview these things it would be Avenue De la Basilique, avenue René Comhaire, rue de Grand Bigard and then tram tracks on avenue de roi Albert and the first bit of Brusselstraat. I will have another look nearer the date. Final call is with @swarm_catcher as we Don't want to mess up her ride and this route can always keep til next year. (When I also have, if needed a tramtrack free route to the all night cafe in Gent)
:smile: :smile: :smile:!!

OP
OP
swarm_catcher

Thanks @BalkanExpress for doing a recce. I was going to be happy with last year's way out of Brussels (which is on the gpx attached on the OP). I don't mind which way if you have something better/different in mind, but if there is any track in sight, I would like people to shout TRACKS, get off their bikes and walk. I really appreciate you leading us out and sharing duties, many thanks.

Yes, keep the tram track free route to 't Hoekske. Might not be needed this year as Vandeveldes have offered to cater for all of us! Yippee!!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Thanks @BalkanExpress for doing a recce. I was going to be happy with last year's way out of Brussels (which is on the gpx attached on the OP). I don't mind which way if you have something better/different in mind, but if there is any track in sight, I would like people to shout TRACKS, get off their bikes and walk. I really appreciate you leading us out and sharing duties, many thanks.

Yes, keep the tram track free route to 't Hoekske. Might not be needed this year as Vandeveldes have offered to cater for all of us! Yippee!!
I agree with David, right angles aren't a problem. It's where either the tracks are (a) parallel to your course (b) all over the shop (as on certain roundabouts in Brussels) or (c) you need to make a turn after crossing them and space is tight that people (well, me at least...infrequently) come a cropper. Last year my dealings with them getting from the south station to Fin de Siecle verged on the paranoid, and I chose to walk when b or c applied a few times.

Very generous indeed of Karen and David. Saves drawing lots (though I'd have been happy going to 't Hoekske and then getting a Vandevelde doggy bag..). Happy to chip in for an extra thank you.

Trickedem

Guru
@swarm_catcher What time are we due to arrive at the Kust. @ianrauk and I are heading off after breakfast to catch a ferry back to Kent. I just want to plan what ferry to aim for and whether to go from Dunkirk or Calais.

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Here are the timings:
Depart: 11PM
Leave Vandeveldes: 4.15AM (55km)
Leave Bruges: 8:30AM (100km)
Arrive Ostende: 11:30AM (143km)​

Hope something suitable works out for ferries.

I had another look at the alternative route out of town, and I think it is a no-no. The tram track section is a bit longer than I remembered: I timed myself walking the section and it took 5 minutes, With getting on and off bikes, we are looking at 15 minutes or so for us all to clear it . The pavement is too narrow and parked for us to comfortably Walk more than single file. Consequently, it will not save us any time and if a chilly evening will see us all cooling off.

The good news is that I have found a less crap route to Grand Bigard avoiding the supermarket car park and the fiddly bits that follow, The even better news is that it will take us past the Castle.... which is nice.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Gordon P
We are booked on the 4pm DFDS ferry from Dunkirk. But ticket allows use of either the ferry before or the ferry after.

And you would be more then welcome to join us.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
The 4pm departure from Dunkirk has worked well for me: if there is a stonking headwind you can take the kust-tram, the longest tram in the world, for a few euros and a few more for the bike.

During its hour-long journey to de Panne you can snatch a bit of sleep, leaving you with the ride to Dunkirk. It's not much faster than riding, TBH, but it's easier and you can get a bit of sleep.

Remember you need to check in 45 minutes before departure and the ferry is 20k the other side of Dunkirk town.

Top Bottom