Flexible Bar Stem.....how much difference can they make?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am trying work out how much higher and how much shorter they can make the bar/reach.
I have googled the question and have physically held one.
Is there a stat' page anywhere that anyone knows of ?

KneesUp

Guru

vickster

Legendary Member
Many thanks.
From that I can see what details I need. Now I need to know how to get those details :wacko:.
You may be (probably are) sharper than me but I cant see the required details on the manufacturers web site.
My bike is a Whyte Sirling in size L.
Will each flexible stem show thier details do you think???
Did you really go for a L frame given you said you’re only 5’6??

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes. I thoroughly test medium & large. On the medium the seat post was so far extended it was ridiculous. The seat was much higher than the bars**. Even my wife said it looked too small.
Even on the large the seat post is out approx 150mm ut level with the bars.
As someone else said......the geometry nowadays is crazy. My conclusion is.....they can call it any size they want. You need it to be right for you.
Its a comfy ride for me although I think it would improve (for me) I think with a flexible stem.

KneesUp

Guru
Many thanks.
From that I can see what details I need. Now I need to know how to get those details :wacko:.
You may be (probably are) sharper than me but I cant see the required details on the manufacturers web site.
My bike is a Whyte Sirling in size L.
Will each flexible stem show thier details do you think???
Whyte list the head angle as 70 degrees on the L Sterling, and the stem as 60mm extension. You can get the height based on what spacers are on your bike. It looks on the pictures like it's got 0 degree rise (i.e. it's a right angle to the fork) but you will be better placed to check on your bike.

For the adjustable stems obviously the length is fixed, and the rise will be based on how you arrange the spacers, if you have any - then you can experiment with different angles - although they will all describe a circular arc around the joint.

The web tool is useful for working out what stem you might need though - so if you think what you want is to be a few cm higher, but not closer, you can input values until you get what you want, and then try and find a stem to match.

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s the geometry of Whyte R7 frames. More akin to an MTB/29er than a road bike
As long as the seatpost isn’t beyond max

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

That's got to be way too big for you @Dave7

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am trying work out how much higher and how much shorter they can make the bar/reach.

I am bound to ask why?

Surely it is trial and error.

A whole heap of numbers wont tell you anything, not least because you do not know which numbers you would prefer.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would say there ok till you have worked out your preferred set up then get a stem to match it? i found adjustable stems needed to be checked for tightness occasionally

Top Bottom