Flight Sim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So is that effectively a really expensive kite?
I guess you could say that. The machine in the pic is a moulded fibreglass semi scale but I reckon you could get in the air with with a built up balsa kit and 2 channel radio gear for about £250 or less with something like this:
1610553987108.png

http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/middle-phase/4538950469
The hobby is quite diverse, I used to like building glider versions of powered types like this Embraer Tucano which I built:

Such a relaxing pastime

Last edited:

Bobario

Veteran
If you've got a beefy enough PC you could give fs2020 a go. It's currently on xbox gamepass for Windows and they do a 3 month trial for £1. It's a fantastic game and very pretty to look at, but as someone else has already mentioned it can be a bit boring just flying from A to B, unless you are really interested in civilian planes.

For WW2 sims the IL2 series is the gold standard, starting with Battle for Stalingrad, then Battle for Moscow, Battle of Kuban and the latest one Operation Bodenplatte. For WW1 kites the same team do a game called Flying Circus which is one of the best WW1 sims out there.

For modern planes DCS World's base client is free and includes 1 plane, the SU25 ground attack aircraft. This is really fun to fly in itself but be warned all the DCS modules are designed to be as realistic a simulation as they can possible make on a PC. Almost all of the buttons and switches in the virtual cockpit can be interacted with in some way. There is also a sort of DCS lite called Flaming Cliffs, which tends more towards the game side of things, and is where most people are encouraged to start.

If you decide to get into it you will want a decent joystick at least and preferably a throttle as well.

Bobario

Veteran
Somewhere in the garage there's a copy of F16 fighting falcon and Eurofighter 2000 :smile:
Falcon 4.0 has been heavily modded and is still a half decent flight simulator even after all these years. I think it's called Falcon BMS or something now. I kept the stonking great manual for many years and only pitched it out a year or two ago when I had a clear out. EF2000 was my favourite game for a long time when it came out. I seem to recall it being set in either Iceland or Norway? The ATC's had Scandinavian accents so it must have been around that way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MS Flight Sim 2000 might work.....

Stupid requirements for MS's latest version for what is a crazy boring sim, but it's good enough for pilots to train on...

Any pilots on here. It's like driving an out of control bus jammed up with punters on take off, then nothing for a few hours, then massive stress again getting the lot to the next bus stop without a crash. Sounds a bit boring in the middle bit. :whistle:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Any pilots on here. It's like driving an out of control bus jammed up with punters on take off, then nothing for a few hours, then massive stress again getting the lot to the next bus stop without a crash. Sounds a bit boring in the middle bit. :whistle:
The 'middle bit' is where you set the auto-pilot, eat your lunch, go for a walk, eat your tea and then land the plane five hours later..

Top Bottom