Flogging a Dead Horse?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

forwardghoul

Hi, am new to the forum but have been cycling for over 40 years. Late to the party I suppose. I have a Cube C62 SL, I had an issue with indexing and took it to a local bike shop, he said teeth on chainring are worn, shifter is loose and cassette needs replacing. This would cost over £1000 plus labour etc. I have decided given the bike is old, (I inherited it). I would be better saving up for a new entry level road bikenas there are nice bikes at that price. I can't afford to keep throwing money at an old bike. Thoughts, suggestions?

C R

Guru
Hi, am new to the forum but have been cycling for over 40 years. Late to the party I suppose. I have a Cube C62 SL, I had an issue with indexing and took it to a local bike shop, he said teeth on chainring are worn, shifter is loose and cassette needs replacing. This would cost over £1000 plus labour etc. I have decided given the bike is old, (I inherited it). I would be better saving up for a new entry level road bikenas there are nice bikes at that price. I can't afford to keep throwing money at an old bike. Thoughts, suggestions?
That sounds a bit steep for those parts. How many cogs in the cassette? How many teeth on the chairing?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Presuming that's a top tier groupset at that price then it might be possible to step down a couple of levels, even if it means having to replace a few more parts for the sake of compatibility, and have plenty of change left over from a grand.

Reactions: C R

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
@forwardghoul , Just looked at the Cube C62 SL on-line... retailed at £3990 new with full Ultegra groupset... so have a look on line to see how much the parts cost to buy then you can decide whether to sell the Cube to buy a cheaper bike or upgrade yours.

Reactions: C R

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Somewhat bemused by that price. Just had my Trek serviced. Full monty 'gold' option, new chain, new rear tyre, new cassette. £194 all in for 9 speed Ultegra. 'Old' (2007) bike running like new. Even latest and greatest Red/Dura-Ace/Super Record bits will come to less than £1k. For example: new 11 speed DA bits. Cassette £205. Chainrings £150 or so for outer, £40 for inner. A new shifter- if it can't be repaired- just under £300. Either they're taking the **** or there's a whole lot of parts you haven't mentioned. And regardless of spec, there will be cheaper options. Plenty of race teams use Ultegra cassettes rather than DA…I'd get at least a second if not third quote before deciding what to do.

byegad

Legendary Member
Sounds like the firm I took my trike to for new rear wheels, cracked hubs at the lacing points.
They rang me up telling me I needed new discs, pads, full set of outer cables etc. etc. etc.
Doubled the quoted costs.
As I knew only the pads* were near end of life I declined.

* I already had the new set to go in.

What they didn't spot was that one calliper was a road and the other MTB. I use that as one of my hands is way stronger than the other. The resulting Asymmetric pull compensates in an emergency 'grab both brakes' moment to pull me up straight.

OP
OP
F

forwardghoul

I went out today a short ride of 45 miles. Certainly you can't really use the big ring as when you put any pressure down , climbing for example, it slips out. But using the small ring is fine. No issues at all. Thanks to everyone for their answers and suggestions. I'll save what I was going to anyway, around £1200. I don't drink or smoke so will be relatively easy, and make a decision then. I will look into cheaper parts as the Cube is an excellent bike. Someone asked about ratios, its a 56/39 11/28.

OP
OP
F

forwardghoul

Somewhat bemused by that price. Just had my Trek serviced. Full monty 'gold' option, new chain, new rear tyre, new cassette. £194 all in for 9 speed Ultegra. 'Old' (2007) bike running like new. Even latest and greatest Red/Dura-Ace/Super Record bits will come to less than £1k. For example: new 11 speed DA bits. Cassette £205. Chainrings £150 or so for outer, £40 for inner. A new shifter- if it can't be repaired- just under £300. Either they're taking the **** or there's a whole lot of parts you haven't mentioned. And regardless of spec, there will be cheaper options. Plenty of race teams use Ultegra cassettes rather than DA…I'd get at least a second if not third quote before deciding what to do.
Theres no other issues, I went out today to check that out.

Photos of the chainring and cassette would help.

Sounds to me like the chain has stretched and worn things. No need to replace your block with ultegra if this is the case. I'd get 105.

I presume it's 10 speed ? Under £50 for that.

Top Bottom