Flogging a Dead Horse?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Have you thought of trying another Lbs for alternative quotes without telling them what others have suggested?
Does seem a bit steep, though I'm aware parts are difficult and more expensive than usual...
Depends which version and how old but did get good reviews in early versions...
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/cube-agree-c62-sl

Back to your question - if your happy to save up and like cube, shop around, probably more basic groupset, though cheaper to run, though may have discs if yours hasn't

OP
OP
F

forwardghoul

It's a 56/39 11/28
Yea sorry, typo, keep doing that. It's 53/39

CXRAndy

Guru
Ot depends on which series of Ultegra chainset. A quuck google search has the 6800 series around £110 for the 53t outer ring. An 11 speed cass is £70-100, chain £15-30.

Thats an awful lot of labour cost to fit a few items and tighten a shifter

Find a new shop to quote or learn to do it yourself-far more satisfying and cheaper :okay:

cyclintom

That sounds a bit steep for those parts. How many cogs in the cassette? How many teeth on the chairing?
I would agree with you. I would say that those prices are EXTREMELY high but I don't know what is going on in GB.

Reactions: C R

cyclintom

I went out today a short ride of 45 miles. Certainly you can't really use the big ring as when you put any pressure down , climbing for example, it slips out. But using the small ring is fine. No issues at all. Thanks to everyone for their answers and suggestions. I'll save what I was going to anyway, around £1200. I don't drink or smoke so will be relatively easy, and make a decision then. I will look into cheaper parts as the Cube is an excellent bike. Someone asked about ratios, its a 56/39 11/28.
An Allen wrench set to tighten any loose rear derailleur is $10. It would be difficult to spend more than $60 for a big ring. A new cassette of the Ultegra rating would be $100 at most.

Try another LBS as suggested but others. Let them know that you much you can afford and if it possible to get it back in working condition. It takes all of 10 m minutes to hook it up on the stand, turn the pedals and do an inspection and identify minimum fix and service. Unless there are cracked parts it should not go over 250.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
With a bit of reseach and not much in the way of tools its quite likely you could effect the repairs yourself for an outlay in double figures.

I would. I do. Indeed, because I understand how it all works my bikes never get to requiring that degree of attention in the first place.

Brew up, settle down, and get reading.

Saving 900 quid must surely be the necessary motivation to do so? People flog themselves to death at work for a week or more to earn a grand, so investing a few hours to it yourself 900 or more quid up must surely be wirth the effort?

Another vote here for Spa, I’ve bought Stronglight chainrings and KMC chains from them for years, they are a fraction of the price of Shimano parts and work impeccably. And the lower range Shimano cassettes, the only ones now available in 10 speed, seem to look and last fine too.

Big T

Guru
Even with buying Shimano parts, you can get them much cheaper than quoted. I recently bought a 105 11 speed cassette for £36.99 and a 105 11 speed chainset for £120. 11 speed chain £20-25.

if you are running 10 speed, you can go down to Tiagra which should be a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom