Flu jab......are you for or against ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Thanks for the reminder; I'll book mine. I get it free because I have Asthma and anything bronchial can turn quite nasty.

It's a case of prevention being considerably better than cure; Last time I was off sick for six weeks and needed treatment for months. I've noticed that the more I ride a bike the less I catch a cold/flu and the milder they are. As soon as I started riding regularly I went from about 6 colds a year and a sort of permacold in winter to two colds a year. Now it's a bad year if I get more than a mild cold for a few weeks in winter.
Great to hear, Andy. I try to ride at least 3-5 days a week, and faithfully have taken the anti-flu jab for decades now. It still seems like I get the flu at least once a year anyway but I would like to believe that I get a milder case. I am always recovered within 2-4 days anyway no matter how sick I get. My wife gets her anti-flu jab also, but when she gets lung congestion from anything it lasts 2-3 weeks, guaranteed. I think there really is something to us getting out there and giving our lungs a good workout. I also try to get back out there as soon as I am able after the flu to get the lungs back in shape. Seems to help shorten the recovery time. :okay:

Great to hear, Andy. I try to ride at least 3-5 days a week, and faithfully have taken the anti-flu jab for decades now. It still seems like I get the flu at least once a year anyway but I would like to believe that I get a milder case. I am always recovered within 2-4 days anyway no matter how sick I get. My wife gets her anti-flu jab also, but when she gets lung congestion from anything it lasts 2-3 weeks, guaranteed. I think there really is something to us getting out there and giving our lungs a good workout. I also try to get back out there as soon as I am able after the flu to get the lungs back in shape. Seems to help shorten the recovery time. :okay:

It's definitely not the flu 'proper' if you are recovered in a couple of days - so keep getting the jab!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
It's definitely not the flu 'proper' if you are recovered in a couple of days - so keep getting the jab!

I think it’s hard to be sure about that.

Everyone has a unique immune system based on their genetics and exposure over their lifetime. Some will get over flu fairly rapidly whilst others are bed bound or hospitalised.

If it’s an influenza virus then you’ve got flu no matter how mild or overpowering the symptoms.

Everyone has a unique immune system based on their genetics and exposure over their lifetime. Some will get over flu fairly rapidly whilst others are bed bound or hospitalised.

If it’s an influenza virus then you’ve got flu no matter how mild or overpowering the symptoms.

Influenza is not a 'mild' disease, although most people do recover fully from it, and its course is well recognised and described. If someone has diagnosed influenza but recovers fully over a mere couple of days, their flu infection has very clearly been considerably modified by pre-existing immunity - in the poster's case quite likely by vaccination - or by fast effective treatment such as Tamiflu. It is not, in that case, a full blown case of influenza, or 'flu proper'.

There is a common misconception among the public that flu is just like a bad head cold. Nothing could be further than the truth. There are so many misconceptions around flu and flu vaccines that at this point it's beyond a joke. At least we don't seem to be seeing specific anti-flu-vaxxers (yet!)

The change began before I got the jab, because the Asthma wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago, so that reflects your experience. I reckon it's safe to say in my case that cycling makes a difference.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.

Thanks for your concern, Ming & Norah. I will definitely keep taking it. When I get the flu I go from feeling fine to feeling sore all over, chills, headache and a light temperature all within 30 minutes. When I used to be in the office, that is when I would head for home immediately. When I get home, I put on thermal underwear, sweatpants, a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, socks and a beanie hat. Then I get under the bed covers with a blanket and close the door to the bedroom, put the heater on and sweat it out. For me, once the fever breaks just 2 or 3 days from recovered. No idea why this works for me, but until it does I’m sticking with it. I don’t even really mind when I get it now since I know what to do. Medical science behind me or not, I’m just glad it works. It’s no fun burning up, but when it breaks, I know I’m in the mend. Maybe it’s the annual jab that that has me back on my feet in 3 or 4 days. :rolleyes:

Influenza is not a 'mild' disease, although most people do recover fully from it, and its course is well recognised and described. If someone has diagnosed influenza but recovers fully over a mere couple of days, their flu infection has very clearly been considerably modified by pre-existing immunity - in the poster's case quite likely by vaccination - or by fast effective treatment such as Tamiflu. It is not, in that case, a full blown case of influenza, or 'flu proper'.

There is a common misconception among the public that flu is just like a bad head cold. Nothing could be further than the truth. There are so many misconceptions around flu and flu vaccines that at this point it's beyond a joke. At least we don't seem to be seeing specific anti-flu-vaxxers (yet!)

Norah, I've seen many people over the years wandering about with a sniffle, and claiming to have 'flu'. As someone that has had flu, I can vouch for a description offered previously, which was if you saw a wallet full of cash on the floor, and could pick it up, you do not have flu.

So, my question, do you think that some of the people that have self isolated, and claimed it must be covid, because it was worse than any other flu they've ever had, could actually have been experiencing their first flu proper?

Landsurfer

Veteran
Take the care you think you need.. why would you not.
We’re not made of LEGO .. we’re not symmetrical.
I’ve never had a flu jab, never had flu .. or "man flu” .. i don't get colds, I had mumps once for about 24 hours, my friend John lost a testicle to mumps ... I had diagnosed Covid .. very ill, but made a full recovery ... full recovery.
We are blessed or cursed with our immune systems ...
Take the care you think you need ....
Get YOUR flu jab ....

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Grumble grumble.

Just been offered my flu jab, but due to supply chain issues there's a backlog - so my appt is over 7 weeks away in December!

vickster

Legendary Member
Grumble grumble.

Just been offered my flu jab, but due to supply chain issues there's a backlog - so my appt is over 7 weeks away in December!
Is that through GP? Can't you just find a local pharmacy to do if you're in an eligible group?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Is that through GP? Can't you just find a local pharmacy to do if you're in an eligible group?
Thanks Vickster. It was a GP appt; the local pharmacies had similar waiting lists, if they had any availability at all.

I can get an earlier dates if I search nearby towns, but all the convenient times & dates are long gone.
But i'm working at various London locations, so that gives me a massive choice of other pharmacies to search; will see what I can find.

Clearly I should have booked early instead of waiting for an invitation!

We have ours booked this afternoon
Been having them for several years - free due to Asthma

not had a seriously bad cold or flu since I started having the vaccine - lack of colds is probably a coincidence!
I have had what I think of as flu 3-4 times in the last 60 years - done that don't want it again
especially since the asthma started!

Mr Celine

Discordian
I got a blue envelope containing an invitation for a covid booster and flu jag at precisely 16:09 last Saturday.

I turned up at the precise allocated minute but they wouldn't give me the covid booster as the nurse said it was too soon since I'd had my second jag. I did get the flu jag and have done every year for ages.
I discovered today that a work colleague had also been there earlier on Saturday. She has the same health condition, the same medications and was also under 24 weeks since she had her second jag. She was told we were supposed to get the covid booster early due to the immuno-supressing drugs we take.

Top Bottom