Fly in the eye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACW

I have noticed that as soon as I started riding a recumbent the I had a real problem with getting foreign objects in my eyes (fly, grit), I used to be able to ride without any eye protection all year round but on my recumbent it's a must to have sun glasses in the summer and clear glasses in the winter, does any body know of a supplier of helmets with a visor built in

Davidc

Guru
I get that problem on a normal bike.

Always did, then it got worse with wearing glasses.

Best solution I've found is a pair of sports glasses (plain) and wear contact lenses underneath.

If you don't use glasses try the sports glasses - you can pay loads for cycling ones or get cheap ones in JJB's sale. You can also get prescription sports glasses if you're feeling rich.

plantfit

Guru
You can get some Metalics safety glasses from Arco for a couple of quid, steel frames and wrap around safety perspex, you can also get them with smokes lenses for the summer

Roger

45cotterless

Yo, I wear persciption wrap around sun glasses. Must be a gap , last summer a bee decided to check my eyes out. Slung the glasses across the cycle path !
Usually ( always) sport a Buff. This comes in handy for flies in the nose and mouth. The little beggars seem to like to hover at trike height.

squeaker

Über Member
Specs

ACW said:
I have noticed that as soon as I started riding a recumbent the I had a real problem with getting foreign objects in my eyes
IME its the speed wot does it! Photochromic wraparounds from Optilabs for me (as I'm shortsighted) but industrial safety specs for the 'missus (longsighted).

squeaker

Über Member
ACW said:
Shadow visor, Just what i am looking for.
Let us know how you get on. Just looking at it, I'm skeptical, as the airflow over your head on a 'bent tends to be chin to temple, due to the seat recline angle, the opposite to on a DF bike.

squeaker

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Just wear sunglasses in the daytime/clear glasses at night. This problem is not specific to recumbents.
No, but IME it's potentially more of a problem due to the higher max speeds that are achieved, especially down-hill :laugh:

OP
OP
ACW

ACW

Now that the nights are dark on my way home I have started wearing clear glasses, but the problem now is that the slightest mark or smear on them causes on coming cars headlights to dazzle even worse than they do without glasses on. Hopefully the situation will resolve itself when all the fly’s die off with the colder weather.

Top Bottom