FNRttC FNRtC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
I'm up for doing this as I have before, so cycle down to Newhaven with the crowd making their way to France, have breakfast, wave the Francophiles off, and then cycle onto Brighton, and get a train back to the Smoke.

Admittedly the route to Brighton isn't exactly the most quiet road from a traffic point of view, but at least the final bit from the Marina along the sea front is relatively motor vehicle free. There's then the option of grabbing a cup of tea from the Madeira Cafe or continuing into Brighton for somewhere more salubrious.

(I think we're still just about OK to get a train back, and the Olympics ban on bikes hasn't quite kicked in at this point).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm up for doing this as I have before, so cycle down to Newhaven with the crowd making their way to France, have breakfast, wave the Francophiles off, and then cycle onto Brighton, and get a train back to the Smoke.

My plan also

TimO

Guru
Yes, the bit marked as "The Hwy" on Google Maps would be a bit challenging on narrow tyres (I did it OK on the Kaffenback, but that's basically got touring tyres on it).

The trouble with avoiding that, is that it looks like you have to go a fair bit further inland to come back along the A259, although in practice it doesn't add much onto the mileage, maybe an extra fifth of a mile.

Ashaman42

Über Member
The only thing with the undercliff is a lot of it is concrete sections that aren't always really lined up. A bit kerdunk kerdunk at times but not too bad.

TimO

Guru
1889377 said:
It's a busy road out of Newhaven with a steepish hill though. It can be uncomfortable.

... although you end up sharing the road with this traffic shortly thereafter anyway, regardless of which way you exit Newhaven.

On the plus side, as I recall, there are some sections of that road where there's a shared use footway/cyclepath, which I remember as being a godsend when I got progressively slower on my previous Newhaven excursion, after somehow borking one knee on the ride there.

wanda2010

Guru
So. I'd already booked the Friday off for the HPC to Newhaven leg based on last year's fun. If it rolls into Brighton afterwards will the route eventually chosen be suitable for a small one on 650cx23 wheels?

Or three narrow ones??
...with a horseshoe frame?

The designated cycle route from Boring to Brighton was rocky but Des O (on fixed) and I did it - along with Tim on a meatier bicycle. But we were elite, sightsaw then departed for coffees and trains. After several pints of 'mouthrinse', that designated cyclepath would be useless, and a real test of handling. As Tim mentions, there are great bits of shared use pathways - offering super viewpoints - but those stones on the first bit were mean.
Always trust User10571 but...
occasionally trust Adrian.:smile:

Top Bottom