FNRttC FNRttC 2nd October to Southend-on-Sea 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I thought you found your buff...

Auntie Helen said:
Coo Mike, you're buff :laugh:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Mig

welcome to CC and glad you enjoyed the ride to Southend- was brave doing it SS!
I remember you- pretty easy being the only person in jeans!! I didn't get round to chatting to you and your friend - Maybe next time!

What's all this about buffs/buff? Lol- you lot are funny!

troutio

Hi all - Jon here, Miguel's mate. Thanks for having us along on Friday: it was my first ride of more than about 15 miles, and I think I covered that in the sprint from Cricklewood to Ilford to catch you up after overdoing the pre-ride disco nap. Sorry I didn't get to talk to more of you: those of you I did speak to were most welcoming.

I was on a fixie (a Specialized Tricross), and was a little bit worried about the lack of freewheel, but all it did was make the downhills a little more interesting. Strangely, it seemed to be the singlespeeders making the most progress up Bread and Cheese, but that might have been the tiredness playing tricks on me...

By the time I made it home (thanks, Miguel, for insisting we didn't tube it from Liverpool Street: that extra 8 miles was a real help), had a bath and another fry up, I was ready for a solid kip, but was pretty surprised to sleep 20 out of the next 24 hours.

Bring on Whitstable! :smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Welcome to CC - Troutio/Jon!

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed the ride - though suppose Southend is the flatest course- nicest one for ss!

Happy cycling!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Troutio/Mig - I think we have mutual friend in common. Glad you both enjoyed the ride - Whitstable is even better...

MigN

troutio said:
By the time I made it home (thanks, Miguel, for insisting we didn't tube it from Liverpool Street: that extra 8 miles was a real help), had a bath and another fry up, I was ready for a solid kip, but was pretty surprised to sleep 20 out of the next 24 hours.

You're welcome Jon. I reckon we should drop public transport altogether and cycle back next time like that brave group did! ;)

Can't do Whitestable but I'll be at the Brighton ride if I can get my hands on some proper winter-wear until then. Like mike e said, should be interesting with one gear!

TimO

Guru
MigN said:
... but I'll be at the Brighton ride if I can get my hands on some proper winter-wear until then. Like mike e said, should be interesting with one gear!

Ditchling is possible on fixed or singlespeed, there are plenty of people who I've seen do it on fixed with a higher gear than I use on singlespeed. ;)

I just chicken out by that point in the ride, I don't enjoy working so hard that I have to throw up when I get to the top!

With gears I don't find it too hard at all.

Origamist

Legendary Member
TimO said:
Ditchling is possible on fixed or singlespeed, there are plenty of people who I've seen do it on fixed with a higher gear than I use on singlespeed. :biggrin:

I just chicken out by that point in the ride, I don't enjoy working so hard that I have to throw up when I get to the top!

With gears I don't find it too hard at all.

Benborp of this parish does it on 48/16 - but he's a fast and balletic on a bike. I can manage it on 44/16 (700c) and I'm built like a dugong.

TimO

Guru
AdrianC said:
That would be our limited options, relatively quick or walk.

Yep, on fixed or singlespeed it's much harder to go slow. I remember on my first season of FNRttC, more than once I found myself at the front because I couldn't take the very slow cadence that would have kept me at the same place in the ride.

Top Bottom