FNRttC FNRttC 30th October to Whitstable 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
mike e said:
What you've done there is capture the split second moment that I blinked...:ohmy:

Exactly the lame excuse I was about to make...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Simon

Trying to finalise some weekend plans up to Dec but will let you know if I can make this ride, looking unlikely at this point which is a shame.

mike e

ttcycle said:
Hi Simon

Trying to finalise some weekend plans up to Dec but will let you know if I can make this ride, looking unlikely at this point which is a shame.

tt, you will struggle to make this ride as we've already done it...:blush: I think you may have wanted to post for the Brighton ride at the end of this month?....;)

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Here's one of them
33xbfip.jpg

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
topcat1 said:
Here's one of them
33xbfip.jpg

Oh my God! A picture of me on a FNRttC in which I'm NOT shoving an egg sandwich into my mouth!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Wheeledweenie said:
Well, the fact you kept jumping out at me in the cafe stop would indicate some sort of 'Weenie with sandwich in face' photo snap competition was taking place :biggrin:
he's never seen a southern girl eat a sandwich before - pinky extended, serviette in hand...

AdrianC said:
What about riding to Ashford to try out the new high-speed train back to St. Pancras. Is that the sort of experience that might interest anyone?

As part of some advance route planning for this year's series of Kent-ish rides, I got on the HS1 for all of 6 minutes to St Pancras last Saturday, to check out their bike carrying capabilities, when coming back from the WARTY ride.

After getting off at Stratford London, and then going up steps, down steps, through tunnels, and along empty platforms, I then hopped onto a bus for 3 minutes to Stratford International (I was told I wasn't allowed to cycle there due to security reasons as it goes through the Olympic site).

Anyway, Stratford International is a massive white elephant of a station with trains every 15 minutes but no passengers. The HS1 glided in, and I got on. Very nice indeed!

The disabled/bike section is similar to most other trains in being next to the semi-circular toilet, although the corridor section alongside is longer, but a bit narrower. However, you could probably get 4 or 5 bikes in there.

Immediately adjacent to the toilet there's a smaller area for 2 seats or 1 wheelchair, but 1, possibly 2 bikes could go there and over hang a bit into the area in front of the doors. In the seated section the other side of the doors, there's another area with drop down seats which you could flip up to fit another 3 bikes.

So ignoring actually blocking the doorway space, there's plenty of scope for future rides.

For any FNRttC rides to Whitstable, coming back you'd have to change at Faversham to get on the HS1, although it's not running full speed on the section south of the Thames - for the true full speed experience, you'd have to cycle down to Ashford.

Top Bottom