FNRttC FNRttC - All aboard for Shoreham on 12th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
And so the sun sets on another year of night rides, with the ride to Shoreham.

Trying to organise a large ride in the autumn can be fraught with issues, mainly due to the weather, and Storm Callum certainly gave me plenty to ponder, especially the irony of naming a fierce storm after the Gaelic for dove. Whilst the South East has got off lightly compared with the devastation caused in Wales, I had been expecting very heavy rain (at least 2 inches between 2 am and 3 am) and very, very strong winds. And then the forecasts changed to no rain, and then a couple of days before, it changed again to rain showers.

The forecasts were also wrong about the wind. Leaving home in Bognor Regis, I had to struggle along the promenade towards the station due to the strength of the wind, but I figured it would be a bit lighter in London. Arriving early in London to meet a friend of mine, Mike, who was one of the 5 first-timers, I was a bit surprised about how calm it was in the suburbs and only a bit gusty in the centre due to the buildings. Bearing in mind the April ride to Bognor hadn’t arrived until 10 am due to the weather, I’d erred on the side of caution with the estimated arrival times, and also made an allowance for faffing time due to mechanicals – which also failed to appear. About the only thing that wasn’t an issue was the temperature. “Phew, what a scorcher” should have been my tagline. 18° in London, and it only dropped to 15° at the Scout Hut according to Greg.

With hindsight I shouldn’t have done the first half quite as fast as I did. However I’m glad the Carshalton variation seem to be enjoyed by all. Since adding the Farthing Down option to the routes heading south a couple of years ago, I wanted to look for another alternative. At breakfast, I was asked how I decide what roads to use. My criteria are: something which avoids too many complicated turns (which creates lots of waymarking); not too hilly (no laughing at the back please), ideally smooth tarmac; somewhere convenient for a rest stop, and the possibility of a view if there’s enough light. For example, after turning right at Hackbridge, we then had 4 miles before stopping by the double mini-roundabouts near Woodmansterne, which only required 3 waymarkers. Which in the suburbs, if you’re not using an A road, is nice. And those roads go past big open spaces for golf courses.

Due to the lack of a debilitating headwind, we rolled along the streets of London and out of the countryside and arrived at the Scout Hut very early where fortunately some of the volunteers were already there, and so they were soon up to speed dispensing hot drinks and reviving a few tired souls. Some may say we’re very dedicated cyclists to want to ride all night, but I think the Scout volunteers deserve a medal for providing such an excellent rest stop, as it’s very difficult to find places willing to do so.

One of the first-timers decided to bail for Gatwick but the rest of us rolled off into the balmy night air. Turners Hill has now been embellished with a mini-roundabout which leads off to a new housing estate but on the plus side, it’s meant new tarmac. Turning right off the Hill, if it had been daylight, there would have been lovely views to the south, so we’ll have to see if we can re-run it earlier in 2019. I’d checked the route the previous weekend, but on the section of minor roads heading south from Lower Beeding to Partridge Green, I was worried about tree debris out on the minor roads, but again that also failed to be an issue. On that section we also had a small amount of light drizzle which soon stopped, despite the sky turning very dark.

After going through the lovely village of Steyning – which a number of the riders told me is home to a number of top-notch cafes – we stopped for a while on a hill top and admired the sunrise over the decaying, decrepit hulk that in error I said at the time used to be the Shoreham power station, but I've since found out was a cement works. Having previously given my warning about the lights on the A27 crossing – if they go to amber, stop, as due to the width you’re unlikely to get across in time, we then made a small diversion over the old Toll Bridge into Shoreham and then into the airport on the main approach road, arriving just after 8 am. Being slightly early (sorry again), there was a bit of a wait, but it was worth it, for the breakfast to end all breakfasts. Piled high on the plates, I don’t think many had room for seconds. No ramekins for the beans which some may appreciate. Having specifically ensured the registration page asked about breakfast options, an interesting statistic is that around 25% of those eating were vegetarian. It does of course help that the airport restaurant is run by a local bakery. The only small downside was that we had to wait until 10am for the beer to be served, and a while later, a small merry band made their way back to the station.

Having done these rides since 2006, the one abiding thing is the sense of camaraderie. I’d like to thank everyone who takes part, and also helping out at the back, either with their mechanical skills or just reassuring words, along with the way-markers and it was very nice to see a couple of the first timers also wanting to waymark. Incidentally, after asking the new riders how they heard about the rides, they were either friends of someone who’d already done a ride or had done the Dunwich Dynamo and had seen our rides mentioned on their Facebook page, whilst in one case, he had read the paean about London written in the FT by our stalwart German correspondent Olaf, which mentioned the night rides.

So it just shows the power of the press is enough to make you ride your bike.

Keep your wheels turning until the FNRttC returns next year.

IMG_20181013_061316230.jpg
IMG_20181013_071634177.jpg
IMG_20181013_074815089_HDR.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
not too hilly (no laughing at the back please)
You're just asking for this.....
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Two reasons I brought the Litespeed over the Viner (apart from The Luggage): Fat tyres, and 34x32 bottom gear. The former was rather more comfortable on those lovely well-maintained lanes. The latter got used rather a lot in the small hours of Saturday.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well, what a way to end the FNRttC year (apart from, hopefully, a Christmas ride...) that was. My only regret, my inability to be on two night rides at once, as Hummers et al were doing London-Pompey (equally succesfully & enjoyably, I was pleased to see). Hopefully, next year there won't be a clash....Oh, and I managed to lose a glove somewhere. I at least now have a mismatching 'pair' for backup...

Another win on the post-work sprint challenge- pulled up to the northbound platform just as the 2138 was arriving. As per usual, I was first under the Waterloo arch, but soon joined by Charlie, Tim H…before we all headed round to the NT. Good to see Mike again (I thought I recognised him, didn't say hello though..lovely Airnimal he's got), and another good turn-out of new people. Hopefully, plenty of them will turn into regulars...

True to form, our ride leader failed to find that flat route to the south coast ('cause there's no such thing, sadly), but did find some new hills for us to climb. Not sure that climb into Chipstead was an improvement on Portnalls Road, but it was certainly different. By this stage, Amy was thinking she'd have been better off on her Van Nic than her Brommie, she was expecting it to be flatter (I'm not entirely sure how!). With all this climbing, and the strangely not debilitating headwind (and it certainly was blowy), Adam was absolutely right to have expected us to be slower. Unfortunately (no, that was most definitely fortunate), not one mechanical, no-one flagging…can't remember a large group ride with zero incidents, ever…the PF must have been on a night out and overslept. Shame :smile:

As ever, the Scout Hut crew did a very fine job. Second half proved no less rapid than the first, and no less enjoyable. Which meant a further extended photo op for the lovely cement works, and once we crossed the A27, the long way round to the Airport via the A259 (might just know that road....). The Hummingbird again provided the breakfast of champions, and it will surprise no-one, ever, that I had room for seconds.

And then, after the usual nattering, I made my west just before ten. I had suitably carb-loaded to ride home, but given the wind speed and direction, I was going to see how the first stretch to Worthing went. And the answer was, not too bad, but pace a bit slow for my liking, and nearly four hours of that did not appeal. Not that ever travelling on Southern appeals either, but it's still rather faster, despite their best efforts not to be. Back home just after noon, and then a much needed nap.

Thanks everyone, and see you next time!

Top Bottom