FNRttC FNRttC - All aboard for Shoreham on 12th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
36? Blimey, that's a low number compared to the usual these days.
Forecast is wet, and a headwind. Oh joy.

It doesn't help that these threads for the FNR are now deathly quiet because of the lack of a names list which generated ongoing chat which generated google hits which generated interest in the rides.

StuartG

slower but further
CycleChat was also the centre of discussion on rides. Major contributors have left and opened up alternative social media outlets. This has weakened discusion here and lost focus on the ride build up. Hence imho it is in danger of diminishing the whole project. 36 is a warning.

The buzz has gone.

I hope those that have left or use other outlets may reflect on the consequences of their decisions.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
There are a lot of people who've given up on CycleChat especially in the last year, some of it due to inconsistent moderation or those who've had enough of intolerance. Or who just don't want to waste time on the internet! I'm rarely on here now for example, as I'm too busy with real life stuff.

Nothing stays constant - who's to say CycleChat will still exist in a few years time, bearing in mind Shaun's funding issues. And don't start on smileys...…..

In any event, having done the rides since 2006, I wouldn't expect too many participants in October. Although of course past experience isn't necessarily a guide to the future! One interesting statistic is that out of the over 1,000 on our mailing list, less than 30% actually open the email. And only 4% click through to the web page for info and the registration form. And that's always the case. Although from a direct marketing point of view, a 4% clickthrough is actually a very high number. Plus there a number of keen types who must regularly refresh the web page, waiting for the registration link to go live, and not bother waiting for the email.

Another factor for numbers is that until this morning, the weather forecast for overnight was in fact pretty dire with a lot of heavy rain predicted all night, although warm. Having checked again just now, it now seems dry until 7am.

It just means I'll have to have seconds for breakfast, to eat up any unused food. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

StuartG

slower but further
That's just nonsense. The Fridays can manage without this place! For a ride in October, when the weather forecast isn't great, 36 is the usual take-up. There aren't going to be any more lists of names; it's been explained why several times.
88 riders and 11 pages of RIDE discussion. Whitstable October 2013. That was my first search hit. The weather forecast up to this weekend was good.

As I said people should reflect on the consequences of their decisions.

Last edited:

swansonj

Guru
88 riders and 11 pages of RIDE discussion. Whitstable October 2013. That was my first search hit. The weather forecast up to this weekend was good.

As I said people should reflect on the consequences of their decisions.
People have left this site for reasons that seem to them (and FWIW me) important - to do with their integrity, to do with bullying, to do with mental well being. People with tens of thousands of posts have not left this site on a mere whim. Sorry if I have misunderstood you, but are you actually suggesting that a responsibility to honour the historic (but not immutable) online home of the Fridays should override that?

StuartG

slower but further
People have left this site for reasons that seem to them (and FWIW me) important - to do with their integrity, to do with bullying, to do with mental well being. People with tens of thousands of posts have not left this site on a mere whim. Sorry if I have misunderstood you, but are you actually suggesting that a responsibility to honour the historic (but not immutable) online home of the Fridays should override that?
As I understand it - the problem was mostly about non-cycling based discussion. I didn't like that either which is why I withdrew back to what is important to my cycling.

I have no problem if we all could decamp across to the other place or any open forum which is not ethically compromised. The important factor is to have one focus that can create a buzz. Or don't we need one?

Cost is not relevant. You can run something like the other place for a fiver a year. I know, I do on behalf of several clients. And I know the pitfalls of moderating all too well ... but I feel we are letting the negatives damage the project.

AlexB

Veteran
Wow! I only really look a the ride build-up if I'm actually going to ride. Most of my news comes from either the mailing list or Facebook. I had no idea of a schism in CycleChat. The fact is that there have been splits and retrenchments in every cycle forum I've ever belonged to.
The actual spiritual home of the Fridays should really be the Cake Stop section of the Cycling + forum, which is where all of the organisation that eventually lead to the Friday Night rides came from. Sadly that forum is long defunct.
It is nice to know who's riding though as I sometimes use this knowledge to hand over "things promised" if there's someone on the ride that I owe some favour or object...

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Minor detail, but the postscript on 'official' Friday Night emails (as used for new rider info) mentions the FB group, but doesn't mention Cyclechat. There seems to me to be less discussion there than here about the ride, yet newer riders probably don't know of this place, possibly don't care.
As to numbers, many groups have had a drop in numbers due to the increase in the number of cycling groups, and the increase in winter audaxes. Especially in the lead up to PBP, and for winter RRTY, some might rather do a 200 than a night ride with no points.
Personally, I prefer rides without a point.
The rest of the debate I leave to others.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
In the last 2-3 years, not many few people have come on a FNRttC for the first time because of an entry on CycleChat. It's increasingly a sideshow. Sad but true. Most come from either recommendations from friends or from them doing the Dunwich Dynamo and wanting to do more and googling night rides and finding the web site.

People who cycle, just want to ride their bike - they're not interested in a forum.

I've alluded to ACF above, which was the original spiritual home, a long, long time ago. People move onto different things. Nostalgia is one thing, but wishing things were like they were "back in the good old days" just doesn't work. Take the reasons some people voted for Brexit for example...………..

rb58

Enigma
In the last 2-3 years, not many few people have come on a FNRttC for the first time because of an entry on CycleChat.
Attracting new riders isn’t really the purpose of CycleChat, for the past couple of years it’s more been the glue that held the community together. But as people move away from CC, the dynamic of the club has changed, for better or worse.

StuartG

slower but further
In other news the BBC Weather Forecast has improved dramatically. Suddenly is dry and very warm Friday night. A bit like this debate.

Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom