FNRttC FNRttC Cambridge to King's Lynn 23rd July 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LucretiaMyReflection

Hullo! Back for 2021, an away fixture for the Fridays :becool:
Out into starry skies after winding out through the colleges from Cambridge and up river, led by yours truly (promoted from All Upping).
Lanes to Ely and the cathedral, followed by the excellent cafe stop at Welney. You might see an albino peacock if you're lucky.
From there we will zigzag our way across the Fens, through the sunrise via Georgian Wisbech, riverside and back lanes towards the ferry over to King's Lynn and breakfast.
Yes, there is some light off road (the Ely river path is now hard packed for a more plush ride) and there remains a non-ferry alternative route across to King's Lynn.
This is an updated route for 2021 of 120km / 75 miles with still only 300m of climbing; indeed some of the ride is below sea level.
See ride registration Cambridge to King's Lynn.

I shall probably be riding back to Ely again in the sunlight ^_^

Domus

Guru
Just need confirmation of my entry to book a hotel for another weekend adventure. :bicycle:

Domus

Guru
Here now in very sunny Kings Lynn, braved all the veg trucks and tractors on the A17. A relaxing day planned for tomorrow then evening train to Cambridge. See you all tomorrow night. 👍

Glow worm

Legendary Member
This is an updated route for 2021 of 120km / 75 miles with still only 300m of climbing; indeed some of the ride is below sea level.
See ride registration Cambridge to King's Lynn.

I shall probably be riding back to Ely again in the sunlight ^_^

Reading the ride report from last year, I was wondering why on earth go through Upware and not Wicken when I suddenly remembered- of course, that wretched bridge with the steps over Burwell Lode! Should have known right away, especially as I lugged my heavily loaded bike over it only last night (on my way back from north Norfolk).

Anyway, looks like it will be a great night for it- full moon too if the cloud clears - enjoy!

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

I'd like to go via Wicken, it's much nicer but that I agree bridge is tricky (I've lugged panniers over it too) so thought it a bit dicey at night.
It'd probably be ok if you're familiar with it but not really safe it's new to you. The runner things are useless (IMO).
Plus the track from the Upware / Reach junction (from Lodes Way if you follow me) is in a poor state.

Fingers crossed the clouds do clear, thanks ^_^

PS the last ride was 2019 :ohmy:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
This was one of my favourite rides when I did it in ‘19. I’m surprised there’s no report yet. Ferry lost with all hands or everyone still enjoying breakfast?

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Ferry not running due to staff self isolating so we did an on road / off road group split then cycle path into the finish on South Quay.
I cycled back to Ely so bit tired.

The route was fine (well I would say that). There were a few mechanicals and an off which meant we reached King's Lynn just before 10am.
The weather was mostly kind.

That's all I'm coherently able to type at present!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Perfect, just perfect.
A wiggly but very picturesque route over the best Fenland landscape Cambridgeshire and Norfolk has to offer.
The cloud cover broke to reveal a perfect orange moonset, Jupiter and Saturn just before we arrived at the the Welney Wetland Centre for pasties and lethally strong coffee.
76.3 miles and 100m of climbing seems a good balance and despite the problems mentioned passim, everyone arrived at the excellent breakfast location in fine fettle and spirits.
Thank you Claire for excellent ride leadership and everyone else for the customary FNRttC cooperative ride support.
Cool bath at home, some loud music (Muse) to unwind and now waiting for a delivery pizza (haven’t had one of those for yonks).
C

Top Bottom