FNRttC FNRttC Cambridge to King's Lynn 26th August 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Hullo! Here we are again with the third edition of this ride from Gown to Crown
We take a collegiate route out into starry skies on quiet back lanes, on a tiny bit of off road to Ely and the cathedral.
Welney Wetlands Centre are hosting us again for the midpoint stop https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/welney/
From there we zigzag our way across the Fens, through the sunrise via Georgian Wisbech, riverside and back lanes towards the ferry over to King's Lynn and breakfast.
There remains a non-ferry alternative route across to King's Lynn, last year the ferry wasn't running so some of us had a jolly bonus off road section.
This is a slightly updated route for 2022 of 120km / 75 miles with still only 300m of climbing; indeed some of the ride is below sea level.
See ride registration Cambridge to King's Lynn.

I shall probably once again be riding back to Ely in the sunlight ^_^ You're welcome to join me but don't expect to get back quickly!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As of Friday night, the ferry was running, seen with my own eyes while on nearby Common Staithe. Of course, it can get disrupted unexpectedly.

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
As of Friday night, the ferry was running, seen with my own eyes while on nearby Common Staithe. Of course, it can get disrupted unexpectedly.

It was running last Saturday too but I'd just missed the ½ hourly service. Last year it was COVID issues.
Still the *ahem* path gives a lovely view of Lynn to approach from.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
why nighttime? I am curious. It sounds like a great route.

Oh, you have much to learn ^_^
There are many, many reasons....apart from 'why not?'. Quiet or at least much quieter roads, even in That London. We've got into triple figure number of riders a few times, and sixty or seventy is not uncommon, and we could not do that in the daytime. Sights and sounds that you just don't get in daylight, or that come across as totally different. It makes the mundane and ugly rather more special, and less ugly. Sam W's article linked below is an apt summary.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-noctem-joy-cycling-through-night-ride-coast

And yes, it is a great route.

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
why nighttime? I am curious. It sounds like a great route.

We're creatures of the night 🦇👻🧛‍♀️

Have a read of rider reports from last year's edition.

Note for anyone interested in doing the ride. Registration is likely to close 10 days before the ride to let the midpoint stop have the confirmed numbers so please register before then to avoid disappointment.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Is there a planned rail disruption on the KL to Cam line that night?
Loathe to book accommodation in KL if trains are in doubt.

No strike dates for that weekend yet- but remember the unions have to announce 14 days in advance.

tinywheels

Über Member
OK sounds interesting.
I'm a brompton rider,albeit one with six gears.
Not in the first flush of youth either.
Don't fancy being left on my own on the fen in pitch black.
what do you think ,is this something I should get into?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
OK sounds interesting.
I'm a brompton rider,albeit one with six gears.
Not in the first flush of youth either.
Don't fancy being left on my own on the fen in pitch black.
what do you think ,is this something I should get into?

Conversational pace, nobody left behind. If you can manage the distance you'll have no problem with the average speed. As an indication, I'm likely to use my single speed if the weather is good.

There is a mildly off road section on this ride which should still be doable on a Brompton. What do you reckon @LucretiaMyReflection ?

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Conversational pace, nobody left behind. If you can manage the distance you'll have no problem with the average speed. As an indication, I'm likely to use my single speed if the weather is good.

There is a mildly off road section on this ride which should still be doable on a Brompton. What do you reckon @LucretiaMyReflection ?

Er, I've never done that bit on a Brommie so not sure. Recumbents and tandems have done it.
The 'gravel' bit is now more hard packed dirt due to improvements.
I'll find a daytime photo tomorrow.

@tinywheels have a look for my ride report from the Aug 2019 version, where I was All Upper, the person that rides at the back. We don't leave people behind, there's a system.

Re the trains, yes, I'm keeping an eye on it. I need to close registration on 17th August to let Welney have catering number, we should know by 12th August re strikes. It would be helpful to get an idea of numbers who are interested pending train Issues.

Top Bottom