FNRttC FNRttC Cambridge to King's Lynn 26th August 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Possible ... but it's a bank hol weekend, so I may be doing something else. Hopefully will figure it out in time.

It sounds fantastic, and I'd be in for an Ely ride in the morning.

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
That's part of the gravel track, it's pretty hard packed. The section closer to Barway has less gravel and more hard dirt.
It's part of NCN11.
PXL_20210922_075536349.jpg

Hi, I've just taken the plunge and joined the Fridays and registered for the ride. All I need to do is get fit enough to complete it, barely ridden in two years due to other things. Starting to ride more, 42 miles yesterday and will go out tomorrow. I'm running and walking fit so am totally confident of getting to Kings Lynn but will ride as far back as possible. Main bike which has dynamo lights has 32mm Gp four seasons tyres. Will these be ok? If not other bike has 38mm gravel type tyres but would have to rely on battery lights. Be good for some help in choosing. Thanks in hope of a helpful reply.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hi, I've just taken the plunge and joined the Fridays and registered for the ride. All I need to do is get fit enough to complete it, barely ridden in two years due to other things. Starting to ride more, 42 miles yesterday and will go out tomorrow. I'm running and walking fit so am totally confident of getting to Kings Lynn but will ride as far back as possible. Main bike which has dynamo lights has 32mm Gp four seasons tyres. Will these be ok? If not other bike has 38mm gravel type tyres but would have to rely on battery lights. Be good for some help in choosing. Thanks in hope of a helpful reply.

I'd go for whatever bike you find more comfortable and which you trust the most regarding (the absence of) possible mechanicals. Pace will be relaxed. If you ride your "main bike" most often then that might be the one.

I don't know this route specifically but I've done plenty of Fridays rides, some with off road bits, on nothing bigger than 28s no problem.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic

I’ve done this ride, or at least a previous iteration of it, on 25 mm tyres with no bother. Either set of lights will be fine. As far as I’m aware there are no ridiculously dark cratered descents on this one, unlike the last Brighton FNRttC.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I’ve done this ride, or at least a previous iteration of it, on 25 mm tyres with no bother. Either set of lights will be fine. As far as I’m aware there are no ridiculously dark cratered descents on this one, unlike the last Brighton FNRttC.
Indeed, nothing on the route (as I understand it as a local non-participant) is bad on 28s or maybe cautious 25s (depending how tolerant of bumps you are).

And if you do a long descent on this ride, cratered or not, you've probably taken a wrong turn and gone underwater!

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
I'm trying to work out if I can get a descent in somewhere :laugh: There are a couple of hills, well they're hills compared to the rest of the surrounding land.
Hundred Foot Bank has its usual interesting surface, due to subsidence on fen roads. I brief on this and give the group warnings about when we approach the section.

The gravelly bit in the pic above I've done on 32mm and 28mm tyres.

mjr

I'm trying to work out if I can get a descent in somewhere :laugh: There are a couple of hills, well they're hills compared to the rest of the surrounding land.
Downham Market to Wimbotsham would be the best bet, but it's better across a sunset. But all the decent hills are east of your route IIRC.
Hundred Foot Bank has its usual interesting surface, due to subsidence on fen roads.
And due to some moron thinking concrete rafts were a good idea for the subsurface. Dum-dum. Dum-dum. Dum-dum.

robjh

Legendary Member
Hundred Foot Bank has its usual interesting surface, due to subsidence on fen roads. I brief on this and give the group warnings about when we approach the section.

The gravelly bit in the pic above I've done on 32mm and 28mm tyres.
I've done that section on 23mm and 25mm tyres many times, it's short and really nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Downham Market to Wimbotsham would be the best bet, but it's better across a sunset. But all the decent hills are east of your route IIRC.

And due to some moron thinking concrete rafts were a good idea for the subsurface. Dum-dum. Dum-dum. Dum-dum.
Yeah, lots of the roads are concrete slabs with tarmac stingily wafted over them. Thunktikthunk.

I've done that section on 23mm and 25mm tyres many times, it's short and really nothing to worry about.
23mm :ohmy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member

Wimbotsham gets covered on the way back :tongue:
I have toyed with an eastern route. However the lack of infrastructure limits this somewhat.
On my list of possible routes includes a ride I already have a title for (On her majesty's secret service) from King's Lynn through Sandringham and Great Massingham but it needs sweet talking a cafe to open - there's not a 24 hr garage to be found.
Another possible plan involves the Reedham ferry. Lots of ideas, but tricky to realise!

mjr

On my list of possible routes includes a ride I already have a title for (On her majesty's secret service) from King's Lynn through Sandringham and Great Massingham but it needs sweet talking a cafe to open - there's not a 24 hr garage to be found.
The one at Necton crossroads is open again. Easy to reach from the Massinghams via Weasenham or Castle Acre and then the Dunhams but wrong direction for the coast! It would make it 55-70 miles depending where between Wells and Cromer you hit the coast. Lumpy but only ⅔as hilly as London to Brighton. Anyway, that's another ride.

Top Bottom