FNRttC FNRttC Cambridge to King's Lynn 26th August 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's been open about 18 months. Run by the same people as Dulcedo. They moved from Hills Rd as the rent went up. The Eddington branch is still called Dulcedo and has the fancier patisserie. Eclipse is near the Cockburn St junction. Very nice pastries and excellent bread, seeded sourdough ^_^
Better than Grain Culture imo. I recommend the Cherry Bakewell Danish.

View attachment 658049

Better than Grain culture?:ohmy: Mmm dunno about that Grain Culture croissants are better (and bigger!) IMHO.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Getting ahead of me there! Yes, cash only £1.40 (they haven't replied to my question about whether it's more for bikes).
I will be asking everyone to bring exact change for efficiency.

Getting ahead of me there! Yes, cash only £1.40 (they haven't replied to my question about whether it's more for bikes).
I will be asking everyone to bring exact change for efficiency.

Tightwads and those who don't like change are of course welcome to join me on the non-ferry route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Is this bakery in Cambridge or Kings Lynn? I'm booked in the Premier Inn at Kings Lynn.
Must get it right, cakes are most important :okay:

Cambridge, sorry!
Castle Rising Tea room is nice.
There's a good old fashioned bakery next to the station in Downham Market too (KniCat) and a new coffee shop there called The Seat.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cakes in King's Lynn are good from Norbury's new place at the junction of High St and Norfolk St, The Filling Station on Norfolk St near Chapel St (park on Broad St, not the theft magnet by the nearby car park), Smiths on Saturday Market Place, Marley's at Grimston Road end of Langley Road and more besides. This didn't get to be the fattest town in England at one point without good cake!

Unique at Castle Rising are also good and cheaper than Sandringham. The ice creams at Sandringham are the best bit!

Small shout out for The Warehouse Tap Room in Setchey if you like rare beer. The A10 isn't the nicest cycleway but NCN1 and Mill Rd avoid most of it.

Domus

Guru
On the train 👍

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Well that was fun. Thanks as ever to all those involved in the hard work of planning, route reconnaissance and cat herding.

I’m sure @StuAff will provide his usual comprehensive ride report but in the meantime here are my own thoughts.

I wasn’t sure I’d be able to join the ride at all so left it until quite late to sign up. Having done so I took a chance on railway chaos and booked tickets both ways. I was on a training course all week so the plan was to hang around in London afterwards before getting an evening train to the start in Cambridge. As it turned out my course was finished by midday and the weather was just about perfect so I decided to grab a bite to eat and spend the afternoon riding up. £8 train fare wasted but all in a good cause.

I decided to use the single speed that I keep at work for running errands between our central London offices. I’d forgotten the lumpiness of the exit from the capital through Essex. Nothing extreme but certainly more than I remembered.
F3816F8D-633A-425A-90EC-FB4A5A44F9DF.jpeg

Nevertheless I arrived in Cambridge without incident and went looking for refreshments and a place to snooze.

Soon enough the usual suspects and a dozen or so first timers arrived, @LucretiaMyReflection delivered the briefing in competition with a noisy pub, and then the ride itself began. We were blessed with a mild night and a cloudless sky. Along the river and through Midsummer Common, with the scale model solar system left illuminated for us, and out through the flatland towards Ely.

382A61BD-76BC-4201-AD46-426FFFAB462B.jpeg

Onwards again to Welney and a warm welcome at the Wetlands Centre for excellent sandwiches, coffee and cake. We came back out to the bikes into pre dawn skies and rode onwards towards the delights of Wisbech Tesco (gents toilet closed) and then to our final destination. Most of the group took the opportunity to use the ferry to cross the river with a few extending their ride by a couple of miles.

As a group of 25 or so, and despite a small amount of comedy off road, we had no major mechanicals and no punctures so my own meagre TEC skills were not needed. Hurrah!

Breakfast was serviceable rather than outstanding - ramekin beans - but still very welcome, as was the customary Guinness to wash it down.

I noticed that I was just shy of 150 miles on the clock so pootled around for a bit before heading to the station and, despite staff shortage related changes, home for a proper sleep.

Thanks all.

robjh

Legendary Member
Well that was fun. Thanks as ever to all those involved in the hard work of planning, route reconnaissance and cat herding.

I’m sure @StuAff will provide his usual comprehensive ride report but in the meantime here are my own thoughts.

I wasn’t sure I’d be able to join the ride at all so left it until quite late to sign up. Having done so I took a chance on railway chaos and booked tickets both ways. I was on a training course all week so the plan was to hang around in London afterwards before getting an evening train to the start in Cambridge. As it turned out my course was finished by midday and the weather was just about perfect so I decided to grab a bite to eat and spend the afternoon riding up. £8 train fare wasted but all in a good cause.

I decided to use the single speed that I keep at work for running errands between our central London offices. I’d forgotten the lumpiness of the exit from the capital through Essex. Nothing extreme but certainly more than I remembered.
View attachment 658969
Nevertheless I arrived in Cambridge without incident and went looking for refreshments and a place to snooze.

Soon enough the usual suspects and a dozen or so first timers arrived, @LucretiaMyReflection delivered the briefing in competition with a noisy pub, and then the ride itself began. We were blessed with a mild night and a cloudless sky. Along the river and through Midsummer Common, with the scale model solar system left illuminated for us, and out through the flatland towards Ely.

View attachment 658970
Onwards again to Welney and a warm welcome at the Wetlands Centre for excellent sandwiches, coffee and cake. We came back out to the bikes into pre dawn skies and rode onwards towards the delights of Wisbech Tesco (gents toilet closed) and then to our final destination. Most of the group took the opportunity to use the ferry to cross the river with a few extending their ride by a couple of miles.

As a group of 25 or so, and despite a small amount of comedy off road, we had no major mechanicals and no punctures so my own meagre TEC skills were not needed. Hurrah!

Breakfast was serviceable rather than outstanding - ramekin beans - but still very welcome, as was the customary Guinness to wash it down.

I noticed that I was just shy of 150 miles on the clock so pootled around for a bit before heading to the station and, despite staff shortage related changes, home for a proper sleep.

Thanks all.

Phew, glad you got your extra two miles in at the end

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Thanks for all your hard work in the preparation before the ride LMR. It was well worth it; the ride went like clockwork and it was a joy to be on it.
Thanks too for the ride back to Ely and for delivering me at a top pub for a pre-train beer (well deserved. IMO, obv.). I had time for a pint before I left to catch my (delayed) train.
As ever, it was great to ride with Fridays old and new :okay:.
I'd like to say that I loved every minute of it but I can't; falling off twice, for no reason at all, spoiled that.
Luckily, no-one saw it :rolleyes:.
The bike's fine.

Thanks again LMR :smile:.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That was rather splendid. Nice (no, not all the way!) ride to Cambridge (without field excursion, unlike in 2019), great weather, a smallish turn-out, but a good mix of newbies and older hands, not one mechanical, and absolutely no-one saw Andrew fall twice (TBH, kind of glad someone else did that for a change!).

Back to Friday. As in 2019, though a day off might have made a ride up possible, logic/common sense dictated otherwise. First 70-odd miles, no problem, done it many times. Last 60-odd miles, no problem. Middle bit: central London in rush hour. Tedious unpleasantness, and slow slow slow. And this probably would have taken 14 hours, door to Cambridge. So, again, the train took some of the strain (though administered some of its own). After a leisurely day, off on the Southern service to Three Bridges at 1619. I'd have seven minutes to change trains (not, of course, on adjacent platforms). Southern being unreassuringly unreliable, four minutes late. Fortunately, the Thameslink Cambridge-bound service is two minutes late itself. I just get to the platform in time to see the train pulling in.

Now, last time I'd taken the train as far as Stevenage and ridden from there. After the drudge of negotiating the traditional badly designed cycle lanes to get out of town, I made the grave error of turning off a perfectly good road to follow the Garmin's directions, into a field. An hour later, I get out of the field, onto the same road I'd have joined if only I'd stayed on the first one. The rest of the ride was straightforward, but getting to Cambridge took three hours. So, this time, I went a further stop on the line, to Hitchin. I'd been through the GPX very carefully indeed, and the route worked out perfectly. Roads were quiet, though I had three of the seemingly obligatory 'Drivers in ridiculous SUVs paying no attention to oncoming cyclists'. Progress started off rapid and stayed that way, 13-14 mph rolling average all the way into the city, roads quiet and decent quality, just after nine. My route had planned for a trip to Asda for food (open till midnight) before going on to the rendezvous at the station. As I had time, I decided to go to Sainsbury's (open till eleven) in Brooks Road- the central Sidney Street branch being shut for refurbishment. Between a seemingly interminable wait at roadworks on The Fen Causeway, multiple other sets of lights, and the play-it-by-ear navigation (and misnavigation), I got to the large orange store at 9.40. Just under a thousand calories purchased & bottles filled, round to the station before 10.30, to find @newfhouse already waiting, shortly to be joined by @LucretiaMyReflection @CharlieB and the rest of the throng. Special mention must go to Anka, over in London from Poland for a couple of weeks. She'd heard about the rides, thought she'd like to join the crazy Brits cycling overnight, and brought bike and kit on the plane. She seemed to really enjoy it, which was handy as she'd already signed up for Oxford as well! Also, another Tripster ATR v3 owner, we agreed it's a very nice bike indeed.

Claire's briefing was successfully delivered despite banging choons from the pub next door (complaints about the racket from fellow riders brought to mind the thought that they really wouldn't like some of my music!), and then we were off. Trip out of the city was enlivened by the unexpected (by most of us) solar system display- a chap looking after it switched the Sun's lights on for us- and was very pleasant, umpteen cattle grids notwithstanding. A bit nippier than the forecast suggested, but I and most others had brought along extra layers- I think they all got donned.

Didn't much enjoy the COR, I never do, ended up walking a stretch, but a necessary evil given the potential hazards on the road alternative. Thanks to lack of mechanicals, no lengthy wait on a roundabout in Ely this time, and nor was there a lengthy loo stop at McDonalds- because they didn't let us in. Never mind, the joys of Welney awaited, bang on schedule at 4ish. A really top-notch place to have a halfway. Our prepaid fees covered sandwich (bought-in, but quality), packet of crisps, tea & coffee, jugs of refrigerated water available for refills, and cake. Oh, the cake. There was a wide choice, and difficult to pick only one- went for the cappuccino, and it was excellent. Tried a bit of left-over cookies-and-cream, also splendid.

Just under an hour later, we were off again. Friday Bridge photo op was skipped this time. Second loo stop at Tesco Wisbech was also aborted, for those of a male persuasion (but there were plenty of bushes soon after, so no problem). Last stretch in the dawn was very pleasant, though yet again recently when wearing the Sidi shoes, I had an achy left foot (admitted defeat and been shopping today). At about ten to nine, we reached the West Lynn ferry. I led Team Not Doing The Ferry, and with a steady but rapid pace, and no nav errors (I'd done my revision on StreetView) we comfortably beat the aquatic contingent to breakfast, there just before 9.10.

Marriotts was a very pleasant place to have breakfast, apart from being Not Wetherspoons. Service seemed a little slow (one of our number had to skip eating for her booked train) but for most of us, no problem. Food more than OK but certainly not top notch. Headed off with Adrian and others for the 1045 train, which was rammed by the time we got to Cambridge, a child bawling about something or other being a particular 'highlight'. Into KX on time, and then the usual slog back to Waterloo, and the usual just-missed-a-train-home. Never mind, in plenty of time for the 1.30. Home rapidly (another Strava segment PR!), a cup of tea, and then a snooze. Awake to find football went almost as well as the ride, Pompey won and sat atop League One.

Thanks Claire, Andrew et al. Another University (city) challenge awaits on Friday night!

gV1BFbeAaxBfCkI4HPSUIX4-nEY8YQ0ab2wgaVM4=s250-k-no.jpg

k7ZSRxlJMCxu1GNi3QBdzCNR7s=w566-h423-no?authuser=0.jpg

2U9gKNO_zq-uUpUKG_LsdG24MD470VRoPKhsAWAw=s250-k-no.jpg

_zvhEtpQGxceDwMj-gWG6NNENY1pVddBpPEKpk5U=s250-k-no.jpg
wQA2y-1n_VyLRwQFK_LJbjNqAk=w566-h423-no?authuser=0.jpg
K2lHRHx9_hG2mlughP59VE5q1nRHKOaxdN-pbq7Y=s250-k-no.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom