FNRttC FNRttC Cambridge to King's Lynn 26th August 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Thanks @StuAff :smile:
After getting stuck in Stevenage's many confusing cyclepaths more than once, I'm trying to avoid it now.

I concur about Marriott's, they'd said pre-ordering would speed things up but it didn't unfortunately. So far it's the only alternative to W and has the advantage of being able to corral the bikes. Search continues in the meantime.
Using the ferry certainly adds time to the journey, personally I enjoyed the off road alternative last year - the on road contingent were just ahead of us. A balancing act.

I also continue to ponder an alternative route into Ely, as well as memorising more side lanes / hedges for next time.

My draft report needs an edit tomorrow, post follow then with pics (tho' you can see them on the FB group now).

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Ride organisation acquired an extra variable with the train strikes, getting the ‘no news is good news’ only a fortnight before. With that out of the way, I could finalise the details. 120km or so, set off at midnight from Cambridge, 9 hours to King's Lynn. Then an optional ride back to Ely, another 55km.
Having recced the route in chunks incorporated into other rides to avoid repetition, the hazards seemed to be increasing in number. Mostly due to hot weather caused more subsidence.
28 signed up, a couple of drop outs beforehand, the ride team recruited, we were all set.
On the night, an eye on trains - would everyone make it? Would the @Andrew Br , get stuck between Manchester and East Anglia?
@StuAff and @newfhouse were at the meeting point when I emerged from the station, having already put some miles in.
Slight drawback with this location, the pub nearby was busy. Heaving - you could feel the music booming from the station!
Gradually riders appeared, until we were nearly quorate - with a whistle, more piercing than anticipated, sorry ears :wacko: .
Briefing was done with an emphasis on safety due to the 12 first timers :welcome: then I rang our missing rider for info. He appeared to have put off getting out until it was too late - we were leaving without him. Another time then maybe.
Easy by the colleges, the glowing Corpus Clock, past Round Church and the riverside, onto Midsummer Common to see Our Place in Space. Luckily someone kindly switched the Sun back on for us
trans.png

gallery-image.jpg

Working our way through the galaxy to the Chisholm Trail Bridge,

gallery-image.jpg
gallery-image.jpg

quick pause then a turn for Fen Ditton and the cyclepath. No mechanicals this time. The village road into Stow-Cum-Quay, car spikes safely waymarked, then the solar light path to Lode.

gallery-image.jpg

I was keeping an eye on time, as it soon slips away, punctures and people drifting back, so decided to keep the cultural stops (TM AC) minimal.

NCN11 continued, the old Lode station lurking in the dark as we left street lighting behind until Ely.
Mists crept up, drifting over our heads approaching Swaffham Bulbeck Lode, distinct chill setting in.
The choice of armwarmers, thin baselayer and summer jersey were beginning to feel like they might not be enough after all.
A badger dashed across our path. Joy - first time I’ve seen a live one
trans.png
:smile:
More potholes as the droves crack, pedalling slowly, onto Upware; narrow lanes a miniature roller coaster. Over the sluice gate, regroup at Five Miles from Anywhere then off to Padney. Farmhouses and machinery forming uncertain spooky shapes in the dark. Goose Fen Drove with added sand, then off road proper to Ely, dirt and gravel, over cattle grids galore, dropping onto the road.

gallery-image.jpg

gallery-image.jpg

@CharlieB the Waymarking King
trans.png
:okay:
From the bridge we could see the extended peloton’s lights strung out back down the river.
Up Cherry Hill, mind the hedgehog, round old Ely, past the Ukraine flag-wrapped Russian cannon for a glimpse of the cathedral.

gallery-image.jpg

About turn, gathered up, we found our way out of Ely, through smaller villages, and bumpier roads. More wildlife than people. Owls, rabbits and foxes as fleeting reminders of life outside our Friday Night ride bubble.
At One Hundred Foot, a reminder of the potholes - keep left please; we negotiated these without trouble and soon found the glow of Welney Wetland Centre welcoming us through the mists. Almost, almost, bang on time at 4.02am.
Riders piled in for sandwiches and fantastic cakes. Warmed up by coffee, faces revealed out of the darkness. We see our pedalling companions for the first time. A massive thanks to Sarah - up at 2.30am to prepare for us, incredibly cheerful in the early hours of the morning.
CAKE!!
gallery-image.jpg

Settled in, but not too comfortable, for an hour of rest. Then jackets, legwarmers, hats layered on, legs stretched, prised out of the comfort, bikes restocked and packed. A tangle of shoes wedged back onto reluctant feet.

gallery-image.jpg
gallery-image.jpg

Trotting round there was a glimmer of sun behind the cafe building.

gallery-image.jpg

Somewhere around here we saw the second badger, galloping in front of us for a short while.
Traversing the Welney bridges, below sea level it’s so much colder - the legwarmers and jacket were appreciated. From here, a zig zag route, crossing waterways, surrounded by prairie like fields.

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
gallery-image.jpg
gallery-image.jpg

Dawn over Three Holes reflected on the Middle Level Drain, and sunrise before Upwell. The traditional Friday Bridge passes, with a buzzard soaring over a field to the right. Then three deer statue-motionless on our left, staring at the wheeled humans as we gazed back.
gallery-image.jpg
gallery-image.jpg

Wildlife in abundance, later we saw muntjac bounce and bob so energetically we mistook them for hares.
Into Wisbech, a comfort break (for the ladies anyway), giant Felix coiled round the pet food factory then the Georgian highlights.
Oh and Bollards!

gallery-image.jpg

Escaping from the main road, we found ancient church towers, smaller lanes past Foul Anchor then onto the river bank for Sutton Bridge. Only an hour to breakfast…so far the timings were spot on, phew. The cafe wasn't answering the phone for the agreed hour-to-go warning though.

gallery-image.jpg

Parallel to Port Sutton Bridge, we followed the Nene, nearly to the road’s end where the sky meets the river, melting into the horizon.
The cafe didn't answer the phone again.

gallery-image.jpg

We took a right turn for 10km of incredibly straight roads, on Old Roman Bank terringtonhistory.co.uk then a nod to the more usual starting point through Little London. The cafe *still* wasn't answering the phone. With hindsight I should have given up after the first attempt - it wasted more time trying to get through :whistle:

A sign of relief getting to West Lynn at 8.58am, accompanied by a slight panic - the ferry swaps to half hourly trips at 9am, will we be stranded? The on-road seven get going, eighteen remaining to see what the approaching ferry boat will take.
He’s….surprised. How many of you are there? 18!?!? shoot. Let’s see how many we can fit on, may be two x nine.
I waved riders down the jetty, then more, and more. Eventually twelve (?) bikes and people later, huddled around wheels, it motors over to King’s Lynn sitting low in the water.

gallery-image.jpg

Watching from on the jetty, I’m happy to see all disembark safely on the other side. Then it’s our turn. Bike wrangling, we settle down and I get to chat properly to those who’ve been towards the back of the group.

gallery-image.jpg

More wrangling on the slippery steps, helping hands extended where needed. Cobbled streets to breakfast.
Fridays with smiles, tired eyes take places around the quayside tables. Sun out, river gleaming. Strong coffee. Positive comments all round, first timers keen to return - some on next week’s London to Oxford by the sound of it, I'm going to try to join them.
Riding with @Andrew Br as an excellent front of the group team, and with no mechanicals, the All Upper and TEC @newfhouse kept the peloton under their wings too.

Fortified by breakfast, plans for next rides mulled over, new friends made, sunblock applied, four of us took off southwards, whilst the others headed for the station - trains back to Ipswich, Portsmouth, Stevenage, and London environs. Nick as noted, completed his 150 miles London to King’s Lynn. Anka was visiting from Poland, and included a Friday night ride on her trip, IIRC she's trying to fit another one in. Talia going touring where the whim takes her.
We had a short break at KniCat in Downham Market, the predicted tailwind did not appear, but the gentle breeze kept us cool. 180km ridden by Ely, we split up. Matt for the London train, Andrew as documented I delivered to the pub, and Rob to complete his big circuit ride back to south Cambs. Me for home and a welcome shower!
I felt it went smoothly, the preparation paid off - though I need to be careful about the ferry timings and find some more places with comfort break cover!
Nearly half of the group were first time riders, so was nervous how it would go, but needn't have worried as they were fabulous. A real pleasure to lead the ride!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wisbech has disappointed like that on other rides. There are public toilets near the junction of Norfolk Street and Church Terrace in the car park that covers like a fifth of the town centre. But sometimes they're shut too. 😠

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Wisbech has disappointed like that on other rides. There are public toilets near the junction of Norfolk Street and Church Terrace in the car park that covers like a fifth of the town centre. But sometimes they're shut too. 😠
Ah, we missed that bit of Wisbech. I routed us past (or rather in and out of Chapel St carpark) but the public toilets seem to have closed down. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom