FNRttC FNRttC London to Cambridge - 14th June 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sagefly

Veteran
I'm.in for this.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Is it going to be a wet one?

Off topic how far is Townsends cycles chesterton road from Cambridge station?

Right. Can anybody explain the weirdness that is Greater Anglia?
Ticket booked for saturday morn on website. No mention anywhere a bike reservation is required. Or the facility so to do, even if one wanted to. Foolishly, decided to check. Told to phone them. The guy on the phone said train I was booked on had no bike spaces available but I could take/book an earlier train that did not require a bike reservation, it was first come first served basis. What to do with non-refundable ticket I have, I ask. Send him an email and he will refund it.
So, apart from trying to make sense of above, do I hope for best with my booked ticket or do I book a different train?

robjh

Legendary Member
Right. Can anybody explain the weirdness that is Greater Anglia?
Ticket booked for saturday morn on website. No mention anywhere a bike reservation is required. Or the facility so to do, even if one wanted to. Foolishly, decided to check. Told to phone them. The guy on the phone said train I was booked on had no bike spaces available but I could take/book an earlier train that did not require a bike reservation, it was first come first served basis. What to do with non-refundable ticket I have, I ask. Send him an email and he will refund it.
So, apart from trying to make sense of above, do I hope for best with my booked ticket or do I book a different train?
If you're talking about the Liverpool Street-Cambridge line, then just ignore the nonsense you have been told by their call centre. Barring weekday peak-hours to or from London, you can take your bike on any GA train on this line, without any restrictions whatsoever. Most of the trains have no dedicated bike spaces so you stand your bike in any available door space. This is bog-standard practice on these trains and I have done it many, many times. You'll have no problem.

Thanks Rob. Simple clarification for a simple country boy is all I needed.

Rhetorical question: where do they find these 'staff' and their 'training' methods?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks Rob. Simple clarification for a simple country boy is all I needed.

Rhetorical question: where do they find these 'staff' and their 'training' methods?
The Cambridge-Liverpool Street line never used to be part of Anglia's empire until there was the great idea of one company per London terminal (which strangely doesn't apply to King's Cross or St Pancras, where one has three regular companies and the other four, plus some "open access" ones) and they seem unable to cope with it. I doubt they're trained or tested on Cambridge services. Anglia is Norwich, Ipswich and Colchester and the rest of us can go take a flying one.

Last time I checked, the stuff Anglia was uploading to www.NationalRail.co.uk for Cambridge-Liverpool Street services said "Reservations required: Yes" and then the small print explained that reservations are only required on the Norwich-London Intercity services (which go through Ipswich not Cambridge). :wacko: Clear as mud! The cynic would say that they don't want to encourage people with bicycles in Cambridge to be taking them for free on Anglia when they could be cluttering up Thameslink's trains and London terminals instead.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
In answer to the various questions posed above:

No, it won't be wet, apart from a few puddles.
Breakfast/beer will be at the Regal Wetherspoons.
No-one can explain Greater Anglia. There are no issues with taking bikes on trains though.

Great Northern run the new 700 series trains just like Thameslink (same group) so as they're designed to have fewer seats, there's plenty of space for putting a bike even if you don't use the bike designated carriages which have the 3 fold up seats space. I'll be using that train to run through Kings Cross for heading south.

Last edited:

kimble

Veteran
Peering out the window, it seems entirely possible that I'm going to use up this ride's quota of rain on the way to Mordor Central...

Top Bottom