FNRttC FNRttC Oxford 21st September 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
We have a new event - The Friday Night Ride through the Chilterns. It's on the night of Friday 21 September, arriving in Oxford for breakfast on Saturday 22 September.

Escaping London into Metroland "When melancholy autumn comes to Wembley / And electric trains are lighted after tea". A church hall halfway break in Amersham where we'll meet a few Fridays members helping with the catering, with proceeds going to a local charity.

Thence gently up to Wendover, swooping down on to The Phoenix Trail and an almost flat run into Oxford for a fine breakfast."

A ride of some 70 miles, with some hills along the way (but no Ditchling with this leader)

Advance train fares from Oxford to Marylebone on Chiltern Rail can be had for £5.40.
Even if not staying for breakfast, I would recommend booking a train after 09.30

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
In....well, registered at least ..

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I appear to be in: registration done and train ticket bought back to The Smoke.
Although you might be wielding a kettle and a mop...

I'm completely biassed, but one you're out of the deep metropolis this is a fantastic ride, and one I've been wanting to see for a while. I think we can prove that bits of Buckinghamshire are, if not flat, then at least only have gentle uphills - and are properly rural middle England.

And the midway welcome will be as warm as we can manage.

OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Recce done. Some tinkering to the start of the route required, but otherwise seems fine. Doubt we'll get to Oxford before 9.00.
110k, 606m climb, Max 4.3%

For the acclivity phobic: There's a long drag from Rickmansworth to our Amersham stop. Not steep - 100m in 12km, but does go on.
Towards the end there's a tiresome climb out of Wheatley, which challenged a mountain goat like me. Others will be fine 50m in 2.5km

There's one short gritty lane after Amersham take it calmly and you'll be fine. The Phoenix Trail, from Risborough to Thame is hard packed sand/gravel - but you don't need a sand/gravel bike. (FYI, I run 23c tyres and close clearance mudguards)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
We're entirely on roads, except for the family-friendly Phoenix Trail. But some of the roads in the Chilterns are more potholed than some bridleways.

Top Bottom