FNRttC PROVISIONAL 2012 dates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bad news - going to have to miss Felpham, which might be my favourite.

good news, I'll miss it as I'll be in France, staying right on the route of Paris - Roubaix, on the weekend it happens.
I'll be just outside St Quentin, don't suppose anyone has ridden any of the route and knows how easy/otherwise it is, I'm fancying a 100km or so blast up it the day after or so....

ianmac62

Guru
... don't suppose anyone has ridden any of the route and knows how easy/otherwise it is, I'm fancying a 100km or so blast up it the day after or so....

I've ridden the last few k into Roubaix. And the final kilometre I thought was really interesting. To compensate for the disappearance of the cobbles on much of the route, the last stretch runs up the central reservation of a dual carriageway. The central reservation has been relaid with new cobbles which, to celebrate the first hundred years of The Hell Of The North, have one hundred silver or metal cobbles amongst them, each with the name and year of the race winners. The velodrome at the end is a reminder of what velodromes used to be like. It shaped not at all like an oval; instead its two parallel straights with a very tight curve at each end. So I think, if you reach Roubaix, you'll be pleased to have packed a camera - it's a great spot for historians of cycling.

Tompy

I haven't ridden the cobbles but I've stood on them and watched Paris-Roubaix and the Tour go past. There's no way I'd ride on those buggers for longer than a few hundred meters. And my bike's a Specialized Roubaix.

Looks like I've got a nice (nice? who am I kidding) 80 mile loop that will let me take in the first three or so pave sections. Seeing as it's a family holiday I can't really take the pi$$ and do the lot/100 plus miles. (also - unfit and fat)

ianmac62

Guru
Great photo of Armstrong! The cobbles on the final stretch are much kinder:

photostream
IMGP0779.JPG

With a winner's cobble:

IMGP0780.JPG

But the velodrome needs a lick of paint:

IMGP0798.JPG

I now realise that we've driven along that last stretch of cobble a few times when visiting the outlet stores there. Btw, anyone going to Roubaix would be highly advised to visit their art museum in an old swimming pool, it's lovely.

weird - just tried to put a picture in and it failed dismally.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Great photo of Armstrong! The cobbles on the final stretch are much kinder:

photostream
View attachment 6514
bollards!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
FNRttC quiz question. What FNRttC destination links 'Desert Island Discs' with the 'Zoot Suit Riots'? Answers in the form of a youtube video if you please........

Top Bottom