FNRttC to Brighton 13th May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Up to a point, Lord Copper. My fading memory branes tell me it was around long a go. Mr Wiki's Big Book of Facts, Trivia and Half Truths concurs:

[/size][/font]

Of course it could be that DZ is somewhat older than he looks and had a job as a hack working for Lord Beaverbrook some years ago.

A-ha! Perhaps the DZ innovation is to rescue it from its pejorative connotations, to celebrate all things bungaloid!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner

thom

____
Conspicuous throughout the set is my bike, pointing at him, the results of which are now at Youtube.

Yes that is quite funny - I like the sunrise at half way - your video shows we got to the Baklava place in pitch darkness and left in broad daylight. From darkness to light is I think the underlying narrative of the ride, with the final redemption being found at the bottom of a beer glass if you manage to stay awake that long.

hatler

Guru
My encounter went something like this:

Eyes reporting: we detect several parked cars on the nearside of the road.

Brain: OK you'll have to steer a bit to the right.

Ears: We're hearing a loud diesel engine, likely to be a bus, approaching from behind.

Brain: It's OK, we've got room.

Ears: Wait, we're also picking up loud music, must be from a car, approaching very close from behind.

Brain: shoot. That's three of us, all trying for the same bit of 3D space. Prepare escape plan.

Eyes: Relax, it's just a Mad Max bus playing jungle and full of scantily clad dancers. No car. Do not panic.

All done in about half a second.

Brilliant !! I had almost exactly this thought train on the way in to HPC where I encountered the jungle bus. My confusion stemmed though from the loud thumping noise generator not overtaking me at the first (not really) available opportunity. Experience is that these things squeeze past at speed. Weird experience.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well there were 130 or somewhere round there of us. I didn't see rich p for hours on end, or sittingduck, or many other people. With so many people around it's really hard to tell people apart as there are multiple clones of everyone except teef, simon, tc and susie.

I sincerely hope my clone is skinnier than me. The lovely Helen looked at the photos and said "Doesn't riding with such thin people make you feel (even more) fat (than you actually are)?"

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thanks again Simon for the impeccable coordination and righteous truck stopping demonstration.

Quite!

Wot the others said about the video :thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Have you been looking at the photos of your fatter clone again?

No, this one did the damage in chez Collins...

gang_ditchling_fat_boy.jpg

Guess I'd better start eating better.... and figure out why I appear to shrink a foot to 5' 2" on FNRttC :angry:

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Guess I'd better start eating better.... and figure out why I appear to shrink a foot to 5' 2" on FNRttC :angry:

After I rode to Devon and back from Hants I don't fit into my fav pair of work trousers. Just tell yourself it's muscle, not fat!

theclaud

Openly Marxist

:biggrin: I liked your Dark Star jersey, Greg. Nearly as much as I like their espresso beer. I notice there's a beer map on their website! Perhaps someone, ahem, based down that way could look into the relevant boozers and their possible opening times, with an eye on the post-Newhaven rehydration...

I'd just like to add my thanks to Simon and the Tecs. This was my 4th Fnrttc and the best one yet! Even though I more or less walked up the whole of Ditchling (with flipflops on my feet and my road shoes on the hoods :whistle: ), I did make it up all the other hills, which was a big achievement for me! I've challenged myself to get up Ditchling in one go by the end of the year, even if it's not at 7am!

After possibly the best (or at least most welcome) sausage and egg butty ever we set about the post-ride beverages - and I promptly fell asleep. Sorry for being less sociable than usual, I will man up for Whitstable! :cheers:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
The lovely Helen looked at the photos and said "Doesn't riding with such thin people make you feel (even more) fat (than you actually are)?"

Please tell the lovely Helen that we're not thin, we're athletic. Another admirer of the jersey here. For what its worth, you wear it well.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Please tell the lovely Helen that we're not thin, we're athletic. Another admirer of the jersey here. For what its worth, you wear it well.

I try. How I try. But the lovely Helen comes from a rugby playing family, and married a rugby player. All bar one of her four brothers are well over six foot and all are built like outhouses.... think our very own 'teef on steroids with but with celtic tempers! At one (very special) time we were the 4, 6, 8, 9 & 11 of the same XV. Thus her definition of athletic would be somewhat different. Think Paul O'Connell or Simon Shaw. But, fair play, I'm not it either (anymore)!

Most often when she sees a roadie she is heard to say, and not in a good way, "Oh God! Look at his arms!" before making a course Irish remark about, well let's not go there, suffice to say it involves not being able to hold on to one's woman during moments of intimacy.

Top Bottom