FNRttC to Brighton 13th May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
:biggrin: I liked your Dark Star jersey, Greg. Nearly as much as I like their espresso beer. I notice there's a beer map on their website! Perhaps someone, ahem, based down that way could look into the relevant boozers and their possible opening times, with an eye on the post-Newhaven rehydration...

I got mine cheap via on an introductory offer, and it got me a free pint when The Partridge at Partridge Green re-opened as a Dark Star tied house.. Appaz the brewery is right by Kinesis Bikes.

I'm a Porter or an Imperial Stout man myself; sort of "Black beer please" as oppossed to Madeiera-esque yellow and brown.

Nearly as much as I like their espresso beer.

This is the truest thing I've read on the internet today, that beer is awesome, as is their Imperial stout (at 11.odd% of awesomeness). If you like that sort of beer, you really need to check out the Kernel http://www.thekernelbrewery.com/ . It's between the two for my favourite beers of the moment. Maybe a ride from Kernel HQ in Bermondsey to Darkstar HQ is in order?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
This is the truest thing I've read on the internet today, that beer is awesome, as is their Imperial stout (at 11.odd% of awesomeness). If you like that sort of beer, you really need to check out the Kernel http://www.thekernelbrewery.com/ . It's between the two for my favourite beers of the moment. Maybe a ride from Kernel HQ in Bermondsey to Darkstar HQ is in order?

Like the sound of it. This is my kind of spiel: "The brewery springs from the need to have more good beer..."

The ride could be nice. There is, however, a problem with rides that start at pubs/breweries. They rarely actually start at all...

Like the sound of it. This is my kind of spiel: "The brewery springs from the need to have more good beer..."

The ride could be nice. There is, however, a problem with rides that start at pubs/breweries. They rarely actually start at all...

You make a very good point, they only do bottle sales though so you can always get one for the road.... Thinking more about it - they share an arch on Druid street with a salami importer and a boerenkaas importer and are round the corner from the ST John bakery - home of the most amazing doughnuts, sounds like perfect fuelling.....

I try. How I try. But the lovely Helen comes from a rugby playing family, and married a rugby player. All bar one of her four brothers are well over six foot and all are built like outhouses.... think our very own 'teef on steroids with but with celtic tempers! At one (very special) time we were the 4, 6, 8, 9 & 11 of the same XV. Thus her definition of athletic would be somewhat different. Think Paul O'Connell or Simon Shaw. But, fair play, I'm not it either (anymore)!

Most often when she sees a roadie she is heard to say, and not in a good way, "Oh God! Look at his arms!" before making a course Irish remark about, well let's not go there, suffice to say it involves not being able to hold on to one's woman during moments of intimacy.
Funny that - I always think of us as the same size, Greg. Tell the fragrant Helen that you carry off the attire too well for your own good! We know you are Ditchling Beacon's Bartender of the Year 2010 - and that big heart is all that matters. (And not forgetting that traditional No4/5 trait of never knowingly wasting beer :rolleyes: ) :smile:

LucyBP

gang_ditchling_fat_boy.jpg

This pic also captures the moment I stopped without warning, having completely exhausted my ability to pedal forward. Apologies to whoever was behind me! Didn't realise you were there.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ok. Can I have 'slim' then? :smile:

Outhouses are the ugly bungaloid extension to the cyclist's practical frame. ;)

She read bits of Barring Mechanicals. You're regarded as 'special', in a good way, round ours. If I add slim and good looking she'll be off for sure....

This pic also captures the moment I stopped without warning, having completely exhausted my ability to pedal forward. Apologies to whoever was behind me! Didn't realise you were there.

Which bit of Kentish Town are you in Lucy? As I write I am looking out to Pane Vino and Tolli Italian Patisserie, with a C4C Cash for Cheques in between! :smile: ie: I work on the Station side of the road!

And you also realise that your post was number #666 on this thread! :eek:

AlexB

Veteran

The absent-minded photographer ruining the shot was me.

TimO

Guru
Cycling up a hill like that, you have to be prepared for the cyclist in front to collapse, weave erratically, stop, or otherwise do something which isn't good news if you're directly behind. Ultimately we all have to be responsible for our cycling, and if you hit someone in a situation like this, it's not a lot different from a car hitting another car, and generally in that sort of case, the car behind is held to be responsible for not be far enough away to be able to stop safely.

Of course, you can have issues when you're into a comfortable cadence, and can't overtake because of passing cars, or insufficient space to overtake in a suitably paranoid manner. On the other hand, if you're going to have that much of a problem overtaking people, then you can always just sprint to Ditchling and climb it before everyone else!

Top Bottom