FNRttC FNRttC to Brighton 8th May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I fear someone is going to end up with a broken folder or a taco-ed road wheel if you try going up that bridleway on one or other chaps.

and of course will in true off road tradition you have to do the ascent 'clean no dabs' for it to count! I think my 'cleaned it' ratio for that climb was about 1:7

Does the dahon rear tuck under a la Brompton when you bunny hop? once tried to hop a kerb on my long gone brommie. epic fail.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
AdrianC said:
Here's a plan for July. Put the Brompton it in a rucksack. Meet Will at HPC with it. He can then carry it on his back to Ditchling (I suppose that it is not impossible that volunteers might help him out with this bit). Ride up to the top, deploy the Brompton to roll down and ride back up against the clock. Put it away again, hopefully job done (otherwise he will have to be sent back down for a second go), speed camera, breakfast.

A slightly more sensible option would simply be to ride it all the way, but where would be the fun in that?

As Will's noted, he's not planning to be there for July. Bromptons have gone in rucksacks- see here http://www.anatolyivanov.com/prose/en/AI.7.00124/ but that's a heck of a weight to carry for 60 miles. I was thinking, if/when it happens: Will rides his bike, I'm on my Jetstream. Top of Ditchling, he has some recovery time whilst I wheeze my way up. A quick bike change, sorted. Simon's offer of Brommie loan is for the Brompton World Championships (sadly not open to other folders, even in a do-it-for-pride-you-can't-win-anything capacity).

StuAff said:
Primark baselayer? My baselayer was Primal Wear (jersey). And the 'woollen midlayer' is most definitely not from Primark (custom made by an expert!) :smile:
Nearly got a bike from John at Wizzbike- I'd decided to get a Cadenza when I saw the Jetstream on eBay, got that instead. After which I bought a Cadenza anyway...!
Will's definitely quick enough to do well at Blenheim- mind you, Roberto Heras only came second last year, hard to tell.......!

John Simnett - nice guy isn't he? Maybe he would sponsor Will for 'the challenge'
(whatever challenge everyone has up their sleeve for Will...:angry:)

TimO

Guru
I'm tempted to do the Brighton run on my Brompton, but (i) I've always done the Brighton FNRttC previously on my singlespeed, and I can't be arsed to honk my way up on that, so I need to do Ditchling at least once on a "normal" bike (probably the Kaffenback for the next ride). (ii) My Brompton needs some TLC, it was pretty knackered after several years of using it to commute when I was living in an upstairs flat. As I recall it needs some replacement spokes in the front wheel, and the rear wheel is a bit knackered and could probably do with a new rim, and respoking. It also needs a general clean and replacement of things like cables and the chain.

I've used SPDs on mine since the folding pedal died after quite a short while (1500 miles or so iirc).

We have the July Genteel ride to Brighton, and then the next one is November. I don't think November is likely to best be done on anything other than a traditional safety bicycle, so it may be next year before I bother to attempt the run on my Brompton.

StuAff

mike e said:
"The July FNRttC Ditchling Challenge"

The most bizarre bike to complete the ascent (no dab's)

Well, some would say it's already been done: myself, the lady on the Brommie, assorted recumbents....
What else? Yuba Mundo? Unicycle? Pashley thing with wicker basket (which would be kind of apt for a genteel ride, if somewhat lumpy)? BSO?

mike e

StuAff said:
Well, some would say it's already been done: myself, the lady on the Brommie, assorted recumbents....
What else? Yuba Mundo? Unicycle? Pashley thing with wicker basket (which would be kind of apt for a genteel ride, if somewhat lumpy)? BSO?

Have all these unusual bikes made it without the all important dab??

I would be more inclined to say that the tarmac climb is favoured over the bridleway, however if anyone "cleans" the offroad ascent on anything other than a geared mountain bike I for one will be mightly impressed!!

Mobile Maderia butty van at the top of the Beacon as an incentive to have a go heroes??

StuAff

mike e said:
Have all these unusual bikes made it without the all important dab??

I would be more inclined to say that the tarmac climb is favoured over the bridleway, however if anyone "cleans" the offroad ascent on anything other than a geared mountain bike I for one will be mightly impressed!!

Mobile Maderia butty van at the top of the Beacon as an incentive to have a go heroes??

Yuba etc were suggestions, Mike...I did actually dab last week (I know, I know...won't do it next time, honest!).

Tim Hall

Mrs. Hall and I have ridden up the road on the Pino.

Which bridleway are we talking about? The one from Westmeston or the one from Underhill Lane?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Tim Hall said:
Mrs. Hall and I have ridden up the road on the Pino.

Which bridleway are we talking about? The one from Westmeston or the one from Underhill Lane?

I was talking about the one that runs right off underhill lane dir Westmeston and sort of runs parallel to the beacon road before joining the road near the top.

Tho' the Westmeston one is not without its merits as a silly severe steep sussex soar if my memory serves me correctly.

Tynan

Veteran
afaic the beacon can **** off, twice in four years is honour satisfied for me, you lot enjoy yourselves

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hmmm, after Saturday I managed to do it twice in four days and have booked a weekly appointment so I can go back and gloat. So much easier after a ten mile ride than after a 55 mile one. But in the end it's just another hill, you sit on your bike, you keep turning the pedals, eventually you arrive at the top.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
GrumpyGreg said:
Hmmm, after Saturday I managed to do it twice in four days and have booked a weekly appointment so I can go back and gloat. So much easier after a ten mile ride than after a 55 mile one. But in the end it's just another hill, you sit on your bike, you keep turning the pedals, eventually you arrive at the top.

If you want another tester then go along Underhill Lane to Westmeston, turn right towards The Half Moon and just opposite the Streat Lane turnoff, there is a dead end called Streat Hill which is a ball breaker. It climbs to much the same height as DB but more direct.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
rich p said:
If you want another tester then go along Underhill Lane to Westmeston, turn right towards The Half Moon and just opposite the Streat Lane turnoff, there is a dead end called Streat Hill which is a ball breaker. It climbs to much the same height as DB but more direct.

"Ah yes I remember it well" It's been a few years but isn't Streat Hill a semi surfaced lane all the way past the farm up and over the top....

My personal (inverse) fav in those parts is the two bridleways up onto Black Cap esp the one at Courthouse Farm. MTB or roughstuff tourer with triple only, huge side plate cassette preferred!

Top Bottom