FNRttC FNRttC to Brighton 8th May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
big chunk of off road between the edifice and turners hill there, where you on an mtb?

Will1985

Über Member
Somebody forgot to press start after leaving the scout hut!

I actually did the same thing from the top of the Beacon until we went over the A27 :smile:

TimO

Guru
This is the start of last Novembers FNRttC to Brighton, which is fairly typical of the route used to Brighton. It's quite close to what you've posted. I assumed that the route you put up was all from GPS, I don't turn my GPS off during the ride, it's normally on from the time I leave my house until I get back, including the train journey and all the stops. That way I can't forget to turn it back on, but I do have to edit all these bits out (normally manually using a text editor and based on times) before I post the route somewhere like Bikely.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I dreamt a new route to Brighton last night - and without the aid of GPS. Sadly, having checked the map this morning, I found that the road I'd chosen doesn't exist. Bottom!

We will go down Back Lane again in November if the conditions are right, though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
New routes.... Old roots. I know most of the participants are of the roadie persuasion but there is one heck of a bridleway up the Beacon for the MTB'ers.

mike e

GrumpyGreg said:
New routes.... Old roots. I know most of the participants are of the roadie persuasion but there is one heck of a bridleway up the Beacon for the MTB'ers.

I challenge "Ditchling Will" to climb it on his road bike, and will not only buy his breakfast at The Maderia but pay for first class rail travel back to Birmingham!!

On second thoughts I am having a bad time at the moment placing ridiculous bets that I believe to be a dead cert..............

Had a bet very early in the season that Hull would finish above Spur's, yeh right I know, but at the time Hull were flying and Spur's were bottom, I have paid a percentage of the stake but there's now a double or quits......

Hull finish 19th or above - were quits
Hull finish rock bottom - double the original bet

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
mike e said:
I challenge "Ditchling Will" to climb it on his road bike, and will not only buy his breakfast at The Maderia but pay for first class rail travel back to Birmingham!!

On second thoughts I am having a bad time at the moment placing ridiculous bets that I believe to be a dead cert..............

Had a bet very early in the season that Hull would finish above Spur's, yeh right I know, but at the time Hull were flying and Spur's were bottom, I have paid a percentage of the stake but there's now a double or quits......

Hull finish 19th or above - were quits
Hull finish rock bottom - double the original bet

I have a better one in mind for him....climb Ditchling on my folder, within 10% of his road bike time.....no standing on the pedals (it stresses the stem too much- well, I won't risk it, others do), and unless he's got a pair of SPD shoes, it'll be flats....Now that's a challenge!

Will1985

Über Member
Haha!! I'm not one to ignore that sort of challenge...I'll just need to find some time to get down to Sussex and have a bash.

Coincidentally, I'm rather keen on getting a folder just to ride in the Brompton World Championships. 10% time makes it about 6m30 - as long as it has a ~45" gear I reckon it's doable (never having ridden a folder!!). Can't stand riding without clipless now.

StuAff

Will1985 said:
Haha!! I'm not one to ignore that sort of challenge...I'll just need to find some time to get down to Sussex and have a bash.

Coincidentally, I'm rather keen on getting a folder just to ride in the Brompton World Championships. 10% time makes it about 6m30 - as long as it has a ~45" gear I reckon it's doable (never having ridden a folder!!). Can't stand riding without clipless now.

45? Oh yes, you're covered. Gear range on my Dahon approximately 21-123 inches. Rides like a normal bike, really- a bit more agile without being skittish. FNRttC in July perhaps? Bring spud shoes, or a pedal wrench :laugh:
On the subject of racing- I'm doing the Smithfield Nocturne folding race. Hopefully without any chain drops this time (after Friday, went to the LBS- chain's well worn, which probably caused/worsened it so booked it in).

StuAff said:
45? Oh yes, you're covered. Gear range on my Dahon approximately 21-123 inches. Rides like a normal bike, really- a bit more agile without being skittish. FNRttC in July perhaps? Bring spud shoes, or a pedal wrench :ohmy:
On the subject of racing- I'm doing the Smithfield Nocturne folding race. Hopefully without any chain drops this time (after Friday, went to the LBS- chain's well worn, which probably caused/worsened it so booked it in).

Good luck Stu.
I just noticed that if you fold the word Dahon up, it unfolds as Honda...or would that be with the 'Beacon Brummie' aboard? ;)FWIW, the owner of WizzBikes in Brentford rides a Dahon - farly rapidly. (Doesn't wear a Primark baselayer though):ohmy:

Fair old thread this...628 replies - all of which are on topic - excellent!:laugh:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Will1985 said:

you can borow mine - it has the larger gear ratio, and I can't think that anybody would object to your removing the (shitty) pedals and putting on some spds.
This is a serious offer - I could do without it for a couple of weeks while you practice.

StuAff

Aperitif said:
Good luck Stu.
I just noticed that if you fold the word Dahon up, it unfolds as Honda...or would that be with the 'Beacon Brummie' aboard? ;)FWIW, the owner of WizzBikes in Brentford rides a Dahon - farly rapidly. (Doesn't wear a Primark baselayer though):biggrin:

Fair old thread this...628 replies - all of which are on topic - excellent!:biggrin:
Primark baselayer? My baselayer was Primal Wear (jersey). And the 'woollen midlayer' is most definitely not from Primark (custom made by an expert!) :biggrin:
Nearly got a bike from John at Wizzbike- I'd decided to get a Cadenza when I saw the Jetstream on eBay, got that instead. After which I bought a Cadenza anyway...!
Will's definitely quick enough to do well at Blenheim- mind you, Roberto Heras only came second last year, hard to tell.......!

Will1985

Über Member
Not going to do July FNRttC as I'm not confident about doing L2B then Dun Run and home in 36 hours.

It's one for the future though. I may even live a bit closer to London as well...

Top Bottom