FNRttC FNRttC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ceepeebee

Veteran
Anyway, a brilliant ride. Really, really good. The pace was a bit sharp, as some were stuck to a timetable. Unfortunately this meant Mrs. Hall had to bail, as her knees exploded. One day she'll complete a ride.

Random bits that have stuck in my memory:

Martin235's gentle TECing as we ground up Portnall's Lane. Watchful and unobtrusive.

Hitting <mumble> miles per hour down Reigate Hill. Bloody speed camera must be U/S. I'll be ringing my friend at the council on Monday to complain.

The more personal nature of the ride.

Titus barelling his way to the front to chat with the boys in blue when we were stopped on the A23. "Excuse me while I whip this out" as he produced his warrant card. (My recollection of his words might not be 100% accurate).

The size of Wanda's saddlebag. Blimey. Enough for a week long tour.

The cycling policemamn at Gatwick.

An earworm in the shape of "Help me Wanda".

Getting to Turner's Hill, having dropped Mrs. Hall at home mere minutes after his Leggness got there.

The peachy smoothness of some of the East Sussex lanes.

Simon not noticing the bandages.

The breakfast.

Olaf losing his toast.

The beer.

The company.

Pics

That first picture of the top of Turners hill is a thing of beauty Tim, the pool of light under the street lamp just looks great, reminds me of a artistic photographer whose name I have completely forgotten.

StuartG

slower but further
Dell's report sums it all up better than I ever could. Except the tour highlight was missing - obviously an incident that shall not be mentioned. So I won't Susie!

First courtesy of Olaf:
paris_2011_4.jpg

For the Garmin averse that's 137km for Saint-Saens to Paris and 276km overall from HPC.
Door to door time was almost exactly 40 hours.

Simon satisfied apres l'affaire dessiccateur de main:
paris_2011_5.jpg

My baby ...
paris_2011_3.jpg

And finally a little mixed up back in Dieppe - homeward bound:
paris_2011_2.jpg

velovoice

Veteran
"...in the event we had 34, although one of our number went home from Mitcham, and didn't text me to tell me that she was safe..........."

Oops. :-(

Speicher

Vice Admiral
A question for Aperitif. Was it very sunny, and did you get covered in oil from your gears?
In the bar, did you feel like a Red 'n' Oilly Prat?

:biggrin:

Tim Hall

My third sample from the FNRttc menu and the best ride yet compared to Southend and Whitstable. My expectations of the latter part of the ride through the South Downs weren't let down by the build up at HPC; a magnificent tour through the lanes to Newhaven. Good company on the ferry too.

<snippity> ah, given your posting name, you must be the bloke who was telling me about the tandem experiences of your brother. Presumably he'll be Pete. That was me (and Mrs. Hall) on the Pino.

Aperitif

Meme bar
A question for Aperitif. Was it very sunny, and did you get covered in oil from your gears?
In the bar, did you feel like a Red 'n' Oilly Prat?

:biggrin:

We.
Franc - you're a star. We pass Port de Versailles, got an eyeful and Rodin to town after Sacre Coureur... nearly at Ebbsfleet 'International' - more pain later...

frank9755

Cyclist
Is that pain au chocolat or du raisin?

aux raisins

frank9755

Cyclist
We are back.

Wonderful mini-tour. Edited highlights included:

France - always such a wonderful country to cycle in. So much better than the UK, including:
- The food, in particular a gorgeous prix fixe three course lunch for four in a country restaurant en route with wine for £50
- The roads - we counted three potholes between Dieppe and Paris
- The Etap Inns
- The beer...

Dieppe,
- Watching Contador try to fight back on the Alpe d'Huez then being scalped by the magnificent Rolland.
- Then bar-hopping on in the sun, moving the tables LMNH-style down the street
- The pretty inner harbour and squares.

The ride down:
- 2-upping with Teef in a tailwind on a long straight flat section and leaving four American cyclists standing as we stormed past at 45km/h
- The cows in the field laughing at Miranda because she had forgotten her mudguards.
- Titus revealing his softer side, telling us several times that he wants to be become teetotal, vegetarian, and smooth-legged...

Paris
- Never ridden there before: great fun zipping round the Etoile and down the Champs Elysee on Saturday night, and teaching myself to bunny hop.
- Velibs. You can use the basket as an aerobar just like on a Boris Bike.
- Sitting at a cafe in the Champs Elysee seeing with Titus and Teef on Sunday afternoon watching the riders zip up and down and seeing how big a bar bill we could run up.
- Lundi Paris ride - down to the river, along Paris Plage to the Eiffel Tower, back up to the Arc de Triomphe, up to Montmarte and down to Gare du Nord. Light traffic, good roads, easy to navigate, beautiful views...
- Teef taking me to a bar near Gare du Nord run by one of his friends

Lowlights:
- Rain on Saturday morning and hail in the afternoon
- My disorganisation in not having the route sorted out beforehand, leading to lots of map stops and the odd detour.
- The bastard who seems to run Gare du Nord who wouldn't allow my CTC bike bag. He's called Gary. He wouldn't give me his surname as he says he is the only Gary in Paris. ****!

martint235

Dog on a bike
1385883 said:
Yes but have you noticed the correlation between this new punning and the loss of sense of direction?

Ah now there's a point. I missed the Genteel so His ability to get lost wasn't foremost in my mind.....

Top Bottom