FNRttC FNRttC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Superb, Els!

I've waited for nearly a week for your pics - and (as I knew they wouldn't) they don't disappoint.

Fantastic pics and fantastic write-up. Thanks.

J

frank9755

Cyclist
Like a three week holiday it was! Thanks to all for a magnificent time.

As ever, well put, Els: when I went back to work on Tuesday, people asked me if I'd had a good holiday - and I said 'yes'!

A whole flippin' week since it was impossible to buy The Guardian in Newhaven :sad:

ftg4no.jpg

I'll add mine then. Really good pictures Els. Especially me and the lovely TC.

But what did happen to the rest of your bike? And was it comfortable?

Thank you - you are my best teacher Tim!

The idea was to leave my bike at my parent's, ready for PBP. But the back wheel was giving me trouble, with chain slipping, and noise coming from the hub. Bit late in the day to have to deal with this. So I've brought the wheel back for my guru friend mechanic to have a look at (he pulled it apart, taught me about bearings and cups and cones etc). I've been having much nicer rides on my racing bike recently, and will probably take that bike over too. Then decide the Friday before PBP which to use! Not what I had anticipated. Been preparing for PBP for three years, and this is where I am! Eeek.

rb58

Enigma
Hello,

Some friends and I from the office are planning London to Paris, taking the Newhaven - Dieppe option. Inspired in no small part by watching you all (well some of you) wave cheerfully from the ferry as you left Newhaven. What is the recommended route from Dieppe to Paris? Also, as this will be my first time cycling in France, what single tip could you each give me which will help make it both memorable and safe?

Cheers

Ross

frank9755

Cyclist
Hello,

Some friends and I from the office are planning London to Paris, taking the Newhaven - Dieppe option. Inspired in no small part by watching you all (well some of you) wave cheerfully from the ferry as you left Newhaven. What is the recommended route from Dieppe to Paris? Also, as this will be my first time cycling in France, what single tip could you each give me which will help make it both memorable and safe?

Cheers

Ross

Ross,

The tip is easy: ride on the right hand side of the road!

But seriously, I've cycled in France a fair bit and it is always a joy. France has almost three times as many miles of road for the same number of people as the UK. Therefore there are loads of empty back roads. It's hard to go wrong if you plot out a route on D-roads. Nearly all the small towns and villages are beautiful. Avoid the bigger places and make sure you stop for a nice lunch in a local restaurant.

Our route was fine but we went down the D154 via Torcy in the hope of catching the St Saens crowd (which we didn't). If going direct from Dieppe I would head down the D1, which would be about 10 miles shorter. I believe the Voie Verte follows this route - that may be a good option but not done it so can't comment.

Getting into Paris is the main challenge. As we didn't find a particularly great route in, and I would struggle to reproduce it, I won't try to give you a recommendation! What I would do differently next time is remember to load the route that I had mapped out onto my Garmin before leaving home.

I have the Garmin route on my Okey Kokey 2000, Ross - it's probably still wet in there! That would be a fine ride in for a tight group, despite the main road. No worse than the A5 and nowhere near as bad as the A12 :biggrin: (just). I liked the route we were given that the Saint-Saensistas DIDN'T follow, including one f ing steep upward dribble - the bonus being a glimpse of the Highful Tower - which, thanks to Frank, we visited on the Monday. There's a lot that can be done on a bicycle in a short space of time in Paris!

My tip: Don't ask Titus AKA Mousetrap, to sort you out a Velib.

And if you want me to be serious, I actually posted a review of Etap , La Villette on 'Tripadvisor', giving it the compliment it deserved.

Make sure you go to the cyclist's bar opposite the Gare du Nord too. It is called 'Aux Villes du Nord' Mention that you know Frank or me and you will be charged double. 'Les Roulers Anglais'.

Oh, and here's a tip: Don't try riding up to Notre Dame if it's 'ow you say zat "peeeesing down" - because I imagine the cobbles upward and down to be truly slippy McSlippy. (I fell off in the dry, but that was only because I hadn't had a beer).

I'm envious.

I could carry on but... :rolleyes:

StuartG

slower but further
A contender, but an unsuccessful one, for the title of wettest ride. Wetstable is untouchable though I note the beeb appears confident that this Friday will be damp but relatively warm.

Nevertheless my most enjoyble ride to Paris. I guess its hard to beat one's first ride over those rolling hills of Normandy ... knowing what's coming takes the edge of the glory of the ride. Not that I wouldn't miss doing another but maybe exchanging Paris for Versailles or somewhere else less metropolitan to give a lift to the last 30 miles.

Top Bottom