FNRttC FNRttC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
There used to be (years ago, not sure if it's still there) an 'exotic' shoe shop at the Highbury Corner end of the Holloway Road that had a good selection of unusual shoes and boots. So I've heard.

frank9755

Cyclist
Lowlights:
[sub]- The bastard who seems to run Gare du Nord who wouldn't allow my CTC bike bag. He's called Gary. He wouldn't give me his surname as he says he is the only Gary in Paris. ****!

I've just had a prompt and satisfactory reply from Eurostar to my polite but firm complaint about this. They have apologised, more or less agreed to my requests, and given me £30 off my next journey with them. (I had to pay €27.50 to bring my bike as freight)
[/sub]
[sub][/sub]

[sub]In particular, they acknowledge that the CTC bike bag is a bike bag and say that Gary of Paris will be re-briefed to ensure that he is aware of the correct policy in future. I will take my copy of their email with me when I go again next month. I'd advise anyone else to print out both the relevant page from the Eurostar site and the pdf page from the CTC site on the bike bag.[/sub]

StuartG

slower but further
What's that Stuart - wheel size?
Yep - you are quite right to comment I'm going around in ever decreasing circles. Next year - rollerblades?

Surely I can do better than the lowlives who challenge some FNRttCs but bail before the splash'n'dash? Fixing mudguards & racks just needs to be sorted ...

That's a good result, Frank! Gary Paree will be dumbstruck, and it was just a pity that he wasn't briefed - particularly given the preceeding weekend's activity - "a few bikes in Paris" etc! I'm still a bit zoned out, trying to work and recollect... not easy for me!

Obviously Claudine spotted the Sonny Clark reference (as if I would know to allude to that...) but I'm more worried about that bloke AKA Titus, who has not put his head above the parapet yet, has he? Holder of the trophy for the fastest wheel change of a Brompton on the Champs Elysees, he deserves bigging up for that alone. A sterling solo effort that meant Frank and I standing around, slugging most of a hip flask for medicinal purposes.
Our Man in Paris was last seen drinking coffee on Sunday afternoon before boarding the St Pancras express with his 'luggage'.

syvyh1.jpg

We did, however, rent the Velibs. Frank was using the basket as aero bars and hurtling down the street - it was a 'must be done' moment though, otherwise we would rue the day. Serried ranks of policemen kept an eye on everyone... from gentle gendarmerie to slightly better 'tooled up' Police Nationale, with the CRS as ultimate antidote to trouble. There was none. :smile:

Paul Smith's shop in Rue Faubourg Saint-Honoré was joining in with the cycle playfulness - Frank pointing out that the 'la chaîne est un peu de mou' on this €1500 runabout...

25tw65h.jpg

Riding to the Sacre Coeur was good fun - a circular blast around Paris was definitely worthwhile - the cobbled route upwards to the highpoint would not have been so cool in the rain (or the descent!) but, until the Gary moment, we were experiencing tap-in after tap-in... even down to the adept violinist knocking out a few tunes in best Stephan Grapelli / Itzak Perlman mode. Classy all the way!

During the Friday's 'Tour de Frank', a new word was hatched.
Here, Titus is engaged in 'veliberation' a.k.a. how to decide what number button to press when trying to disengage the street machine from its docking station, after having screwed up the credit card entering details at least three times. I failed too, choosing a bike that didn't want to come out to play, no matter what effort was made to entice it. The gearing is pants too - probably useful for scaling a big cobbly slope, but otherwise too dinky. For general running around, it seems that Paris has got plenty of space for the casual cyclists - it was elegant and harmonious - better than a vivid blue strip dabbed onto the highway.

jikktd.jpg

frank9755

Cyclist
During the Friday's 'Tour de Frank', a new word was hatched.
Here, Titus is engaged in 'veliberation' a.k.a. how to decide what number button to press when trying to disengage the street machine from its docking station, after having screwed up the credit card entering details at least three times. I failed too, choosing a bike that didn't want to come out to play, no matter what effort was made to entice it. The gearing is pants too - probably useful for scaling a big cobbly slope, but otherwise too dinky. For general running around, it seems that Paris has got plenty of space for the casual cyclists - it was elegant and harmonious - better than a vivid blue strip dabbed onto the highway.

laugh.gif

Titus aka the great veliberator!
The cycle lanes in Paris are very effective. To begin with Teef and I just ignored them, assuming they would be crap like British ones, but the people on velibs were maintaining a faster average speed than us because the cycle lanes - instead of collapsing in a fit of panic in the face of a traffic light or junction - just carried on and bypassed lots of red lights.

Top Bottom