FNRttC to Newhaven, Paris and Dieppe July 18, 19, 20 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flandrienne

Bonjour tout le monde!

To all participants of the Newhaven-Dieppe-Paris bike event:
Enjoy the cycling, the friendship and compagnie, the very nice weather , the landscape, the nice French food and drinks, and the arrival of the tour de France on the Champs Elysees! Froom is doing well defending his yellow Jersey!! :wahhey:

Bon voyage , allez allez! ! :cheers:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Do you plan on having breakfast in Newhaven or on the boat? If the latter can anyone suggest a good cafe in Newhaven?

Tim Hall

I think it's an Italian place now, called Luna Rossa. That might alter the nature of the breakfast a bit. Last year, didn't we have breakfast in the port café?

Most of us did. Teef and (I think) Redfalo went to Luna Rossa. Olaf wanted to see if his favourite seagull was still in residence.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Most of us did. Teef and (I think) Redfalo went to Luna Rossa. Olaf wanted to see if his favourite seagull was still in residence.
That's right, and we took a seat indoors. They served decent English breakfast, but opened a bit late. Judged by the feedback from the harbour café, the Italian place was a much better choice.

Did I mention that I'm really looking forward to the ride?

Tim Hall

Gentle web based research this afternoon suggests that Luna Rossa is also defunct (no website leaping out, that sort of thing). But in other news, there is now a statue of Ho Chi Minh somewhere in Newhaven.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Gentle web based research this afternoon suggests that Luna Rossa is also defunct (no website leaping out, that sort of thing). But in other news, there is now a statue of Ho Chi Minh somewhere in Newhaven.
But Ho Chi Minh fans who can't make the ride need not despair, as there's a blue plaque to him at the South end of Haymarket.

That's right, and we took a seat indoors. They served decent English breakfast, but opened a bit late. Judged by the feedback from the harbour café, the Italian place was a much better choice.

Did I mention that I'm really looking forward to the ride?
OK. As I had the guy's mobile number, I called 'Luna Rosso' and spoke to my mate 'Luciano' and they are open EVERYDAY from 07:30.
If Simon would like to give him a call and confirm the numbers of breakfasters, then Luciano will be 'very accomodating'. The landline for Luna Rossa is: 01273 515 600 - he awaits a call! Olaf and I were treated to some excellent coffee, nice ambiance, the papers (well, The Sun, Express etc) and all in all, it was a piece of Pisa.
Furthermore, after we arrived in the Champs Elysees last year, it was Olaf and his breakfast buddy, moi + a young iLB, serenely purveying 'le Monde en passant' from a table outside that African bar 'Cristal'? - not sure but I'll check back on that (it had a background of cool African beats, and a plentiful supply of popcorn and munching bits...). If you lot are not staying Central in Paris - I think there is an IBIS at Porte de Vanves - right next door to tone of the best value and most awe-inducing bistros in Paris. http://www.autimbreposte.fr/ iLB was induced last year - he can comment on the ambiance etc, but if 'the peloton' was looking for a place to mange then this is it. You might even strike it lucky and 'Dr Pickup' and his Blues band will be playing in the background.
For watching the final stages, iLB and I mooched around Paris and drank beer here and there...the previous year, Frank, Titus and I had organised some scrambled eggs and washed them down with scrambled hops all afternoon - but anyway, last year, Andy and I were 'based' in the Norwegian tent - near rue de Rivoli, as the riders whizz out of the underpass and do a left towards the Champs Elysees etc...a few times. (we lost count - of beers and laps) but it is possible to see the peloton rev. up - say standing on the railings in the Tuilleries, and then fast jog back into the tent to see Cavendish take the line! An added bonus of being based in that tent was the vast number of free cycling jerseys being doled out for free - ok advertising 'a company' but hey, it's free stuff! Have a lovely time. I'll not be thinking of you. Much.

No match for the brekky place three years ago!
RIP.
Oh yes it was/IS!

Edited to correct appalling spelinga. And to mention the cool beats at the Arc de Triomphe bar..!:thumbsup: (Still haven't had time to check last year's thread for verification)

You won't come? C'est tres dommage!
Yes - absolutely, Olaf, but I am committed the Saturday/Sunday this weekend. It's OK though, as Adrian will buy you loads of beer - once his derriere has recovered from the statutory 'processional' along the Champs E. - (what a boneshaking ride that is...how on earth the pros manage to walk on that in their heels speed along that, one will never kn...

2549539 said:
Work life balance Teef.
Work is crap and the scales are broken.

Top Bottom