FNRttC FNRttC to Southwold 7th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Well, ill be brief...

Lance Armstrong was very wrong.. our Lord and Master, Dellzeqq, is very very right.. 'It', is all about the bike...

But back to this epic, incrediable and satable ride... and what a ride it was!

No rain wind sleet snow and kerbs, it was near on perfect as perfect gets, baring.. sand!! YUCK!.. However, Southwold could do with a train station... But what a beautiful place it is.

And so thank you one and all for a fabulous ride!

Now, back to the bike.. My Dolan, is lovely and such a fab bike to ride, it did me wonders, but did my hands in something chronic. The road buzz and lack of padding (no real bar tape) meant after 50ish miles, I was hurting. A lot. I don't think I let on till the end how much it hurt me, but, it really really did. Even now my hands are still buzzing and hurting. But, thankfully, with the trooper that is Susie, who was ill and did superbly given her ill state, I had someone else to think about trooping on and so I could distract my mind from the pain. I need to think about the current set up.. but that's for me to think over.

But yes, it really is all about the bike. And friends. And Sunrises. And beer/cider. And stories that raise an eyebrow of bewilderment to the non-cyclists. But boy, dont we all do well.

Roll on Whitstable!

frank9755

Cyclist
Davy,
Your bars are at racing / sprinting height which makes them very low for riding all day on with only moderate pressure on the pedals. If you can raise them up an inch or three it will take the weight off your hands!

U

User10571

Some excellent photos there from Mice - given the quantity, thank goodness they're not on emulsion coated film!

Some excellent photos there from Mice - given the quantity, thank goodness they're not on emulsion coated film!

Hahahahaha! Thanks for that (I think?:wacko: ) No words or photos could truly capture the magic of this ride - it really was the very best (apart from LonJog). You may or may not have noticed that from Pics 137 to 151 then 156 to 172 are grouped together and if you click next in picassa (with the image in full size) fast you'll see what I mean! Of course if you've had enough of the photos feel free to walk away!

Mice

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Just when we thought the FNRttCs just couldn't get any better, after a wicked outing to Felpham last week, along comes the best of the lot
(apart from LonJog)
Can't really add to the eloquent write ups already provided on page 9 - it's all been said.
But a big thanks to Miranda for catching up with me at a point somewhere between Brentwood and Maldon when the arms of Morpheus seemed to be pulling me all over the road and into the verge at one point. That's never happened to me before on an FNRttC, and I hope it never does again.
Some wonderful countryside and an inordinate amount of roadkill all along the final 20-ish miles.

A fast 37m ride back to Ipswich train station with LongMart, Grahame and Eddie took us along what appeared to be part of the ToB stage 1 in reverse, via Leiston, where a fine chippy provided the sustenance we missed in Southwold (why are chip shop chips eaten in the street the best?), and via Woodbridge (birthplace of underrated singer songwriter Nick Lowe), and to the station where Sahar was waiting for George and Miranda. Breaking news: Sahar has a road bike!

Woke up on Sunday morning with a bloodshot eye, and I've a tenuous theory that it may have been caused by the spray from the crop sprayers that was dropping on the road at one point. Far be it for me to repeat what George suggested at the time could be in the water.

Great pix, Miranda!
Great company, all.
Almost 173 miles for the day.

Toodle pip till Brighton!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
INever, There isn't a better night ride out of London to be had. That's your lot.

You should keep trying to find one though ;)

Doing two there next year? Excellent idea. Particularly as I might actually be able to make one that way.....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well, ill be brief...

Lance Armstrong was very wrong.. our Lord and Master, Dellzeqq, is very very right.. 'It', is all about the bike...

But back to this epic, incrediable and satable ride... and what a ride it was!

No rain wind sleet snow and kerbs, it was near on perfect as perfect gets, baring.. sand!! YUCK!.. However, Southwold could do with a train station... But what a beautiful place it is.

And so thank you one and all for a fabulous ride!

Now, back to the bike.. My Dolan, is lovely and such a fab bike to ride, it did me wonders, but did my hands in something chronic. The road buzz and lack of padding (no real bar tape) meant after 50ish miles, I was hurting. A lot. I don't think I let on till the end how much it hurt me, but, it really really did. Even now my hands are still buzzing and hurting. But, thankfully, with the trooper that is Susie, who was ill and did superbly given her ill state, I had someone else to think about trooping on and so I could distract my mind from the pain. I need to think about the current set up.. but that's for me to think over.

But yes, it really is all about the bike. And friends. And Sunrises. And beer/cider. And stories that raise an eyebrow of bewilderment to the non-cyclists. But boy, dont we all do well.

Roll on Whitstable!
+1 on the sand front, except this kind....

SaLQ83

Just when we thought the FNRttCs just couldn't get any better, after a wicked outing to Felpham last week, along comes the best of the lot .
Can't really add to the eloquent write ups already provided on page 9 - it's all been said.
But a big thanks to Miranda for catching up with me at a point somewhere between Brentwood and Maldon when the arms of Morpheus seemed to be pulling me all over the road and into the verge at one point. That's never happened to me before on an FNRttC, and I hope it never does again.
Some wonderful countryside and an inordinate amount of roadkill all along the final 20-ish miles.

A fast 37m ride back to Ipswich train station with LongMart, Grahame and Eddie took us along what appeared to be part of the ToB stage 1 in reverse, via Leiston, where a fine chippy provided the sustenance we missed in Southwold (why are chip shop chips eaten in the street the best?), and via Woodbridge (birthplace of underrated singer songwriter Nick Lowe), and to the station where Sahar was waiting for George and Miranda. Breaking news: Sahar has a road bike!

Woke up on Sunday morning with a bloodshot eye, and I've a tenuous theory that it may have been caused by the spray from the crop sprayers that was dropping on the road at one point. Far be it for me to repeat what George suggested at the time could be in the water.

Great pix, Miranda!
Great company, all.
Almost 173 miles for the day.

Toodle pip till Brighton!

Well I was actually disappointed that I didn't make this ride..... My reason is purely selfish... I didn't get to show off my new road bike....:becool: In Mice's words "hold up the line caller"

Poor George and Mice were under strict instructions not to say anything, but then I revealed my secret to Charlie B and Eddy... Sorry guys... :whistle:.

But no honestly I wish I did this ride, and everyone who did seem to have had a great time, so I am really jealous. :sad:

If anyone is doing the reading ride, hope to see you there.^_^

Top Bottom