FNRttC FNRttC to Southwold 7th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
I got back to Forest Hill just before 9 last night. I cleaned up, had another beer and slept for 12 hours.

That was magic. I have to say I've never particularly wanted to ride through Ilford and Romford, but as part of a ride of contrasts it works beautifully. So as well as cries of "bump" and "hole" and "easy" we had cries of "girl in road".

I think others will have described the joys of the ride better than I could hope to, so that's all for now, save for humble thanks to Simon, thanks to Big Michael for the storming ride across Mersea Island, thanks to everyone for the company, and thanks to Olaf, Frank and Susie for the refreshments.

BigGee

Well was that not the ride we have been waiting for all year.From the heart of the smoke to the jewel of the sufolk coast under perfct weather conditions, beautiful moonlight and a hot sunny day. All those wet, windy and freezing cold rides character building though they were, can never be a patch on this!
Starting off with a ride down the embankment, still all lit up in olympic mode and still I think the best view in london at night very much set the tone. Then off into east london which as usual on a friday night was full of activity with lots of police scurrying around. Now I actually feel quite at home here, having started of in London at City of London Poly, based at Aldgate and then lived in Wapping, Stepney and Stratford. I did my nurse training at the London Hospital and I trained for marathons running up and down the Mile end Rd. There is always something to do here and always something to see. While I no longer ride up and down it every day, I do enjoy the memories and the familiarity when I do so.

Sratford has changed enourmously since I left there but it can only be for the better. Seeing the olympic stadium all lit up at night and thinking that it is almost all over now having looked forward to it for so long is a mixed feeling as well, but we will continue to ride by the stadium many times in the future and will always remember this amazing summer of sport.

Soon Romford and Brentwood loomed upon us. Nothing really to report this time other than a few catcalls by some scantily clad young ladies outside a club, something to do with big thighs, but it was not clear to whom they were referring. A drunk man was starting to wander over to admire Suzy's bike but we moved off before he got close enough to carry out his inspection and then it was off and out into the countryside.

Suddenly the background noise of the city is gone and you suddenly notice that the sky has become clearer. Some odf the more astronomically minded riders pointed out Jupiter, sitting by the moon for us and varous other features of interest. We had a couple of minor mechanicals and some of had a bit of a chase back on. Riding fast though on these roads is a pleasure as well and we were soon all back together.

This did have the effect of slightly eating into our alraedy meagre pit stop at the Tesco's in Maldon (did any town really ever need a 24 hour store less than Maldon, I am sure that they must have built it with us in mind!). Sandwiches were being forced down and Simon was leading off before almost before saddles got cold. 8 of us were dispatched off into the night as an advanced party and given the instruction to get to the beach in 45 mins, It think he may also have said "the success of the mission depends upon it" or words to that effect!

So taking our orders seriously we pushed hard on the pedals and off we went at speed, making the beach head in good time. We admired the view, dawn rising, a millpond flat river, a multitude of Thames barges at anchor in front of us. It would have been a perfect scene were it not for one missing ingredient, the landing craft!

After half an hour of ear straining and imagining we could hear it away in the distance, a few phone calls established that the captain had slept in! It eventually swung into view just as Simon and the second group also arrived on the beach and so the 8 of us were again sent off and told to boot it down to get the next ferry in time, the itinary was at this point looking a little precarious! Scenic routes were abandoned in favour of a more direct approach and suudenly we were flying towards Harwich at 20mph. We actually made it comfortably to be meet at the pier by my parents who dispensed greetings, orange juice and biscuits in equal proportions.

Micheal then dissapeared saying something about his train ticket and that he may be gone for some time! He made it back just as we were loading ourselves onto the second ferry of the trip, having had to ride two stations back up the line to find one that would print out a train ticket! There followed another beautiful ferry ride accross Harwich harbour to Felixstowe followed by a short ride through the town to breakfast overlooking the river Deben in another simply idylic spot. Here we finally re grouped and re fuelled. It was not quite 10 in the morning and it was already baking hot, a long day out in the sun was ahead of us.

After breakfast we crossed the river and headed through suffolk on quiet roads. The pace was now back down to conversational cycling and those of us who had been booting it at the front were quite glad of the rest. By the time of our next stop at Snape the miles and the sun were takng there toil a little and the route was revised a little to reflect this. The last ferry was to be bypassed and we were to head towards Southwold as directly as we could. As the finnish approached tired bodies summond one last effort and the pace picked up a little bit. A beer in front of a cyclist is the equivilent of a carrot in front of the donkey so it would seem. Southwold finally came into view and a truely lovely view it is as well. I have not been there for a while, but it seems to have changed little. I recognised the safront rugby pitches I used to play on 30 years or more ago. before we used to head to that famous pub by the brewery to partakes of the adnams, which beleive it or not was a niche bear back then, barely known outside of suffolk!

We were all feeling very pleased with ourselves by the time we hit the pub. Olaf kindly bought everyone a cold drink and we possed for the obligatory group photo. where the photographer was a little unkind about Adrian's physique! To soon though it was time for those of us heading back to Ipswich to get back in the saddle and hit the road again.

So the gang of four headed off leaving the others still imbibing in the pub. I was starting to feel hungry again but we pressed on and made good times. Leiston appeared and a chip shop seemed the answer to our energy levels so we refuelled and then suitably invigorated pressed on into Ipswich, which proved to be a further 38 miles back from Southwold. We rolled back at an impressive 15.3mph, which considering the day we had had up to then was pretty good and we made the train with 40 mins to spare, actually getting there just before Miranda nd George, who arrived on the Darsham train just after us.

So then backto london, me in cattle class anfd the others in first, for which they had the pleasure of having to walk the whole length of the train twice (and it was a long train!). The railways obviously don't consider that those travelling first class will carry a bike, some victorian hangover in attitudes I suspect.

I got the train home from Liverpool St, which only added one more mile to my journey, but I ended up with 178 miles door to door, which was a new PB for me. It is going to have to be a 200 next.

What a great ride. Thanks as usual to Simon for organising it so brilliantly. To my partners in crime for the ride back and to everyone else for making it such an enjoyable night and day out. I got home just in time to see Andy Murray win his tie break and get into the US Open final as well. It really does not get a lot better than that.

See you in Brighton at the end of the month

Grahame

frank9755

Cyclist
That was just lovely! Beautiful mild night but, with no wind, there was cold air hanging in hollows, even before midnight. It was such pleasure to catch up with those I'd not seen for a while and to meet lots of new faces. These are some of the highlights I remember - starting with the cycling, which had some great chases:

- When news of Eddie's second tyre change reached the front of the ride, I rode back to relieve Miranda who was stranded on a junction and, when no-one appeared, went back to watch our TEC team of Stan and Ollie Adrian and Davy pump a tyre up in a relay. As the one who knew the way, I then led off and thought it was a good chance to get some speed up to help things join back together at Maldon. Keeping the speed up for the 7 or 8 miles, I saw the number of lights following gradually decrease, but there was one, rather feint light that I could not shake off. Finally, I put in a spurt up the last hill into Maldon, and got clear. It turned out to be Eddie, showing that his tyre had been well fixed by the TEC duo.

- Michael and Grahame then led us across Mersea at a good old pace. I tucked in behind, thinking that they might tire after a few miles. But they didn't, and 'tuck in' became 'hung on' as we sped across towards the dawn.

- Long Martin and Michael led us to Harwich in the freezing cold early morning. I decided I was definitely tucking in behind for this stretch - but then Adrian shouted out to ask me to chase down Long Martin and get him to stop. 'I'll have a go', I thought, not entirely confidently. I just managed to, and warmed myself up in the process.

- Then, later, on the road to Walberswick, we thought that a couple of people - I wasn't sure who - had ridden off the front and so were likely to miss the path for Southwold. Simon set off to chase and I followed to help. We didn't see them, so I rode the extra half a mile or so down to the end of the road by the sea and saw two cyclists standing there looking confused. I shouted out to them 'back this way', made signals and waved. Then when I reached them, told them they had overshot and needed to double back, that they were fools to have shot off ahead, were depriving us of drinking time, making us likely to miss food cut-off times in pubs, etc, etc. When they looked confused, I realised they weren't part of our group at all, just a couple of others who had passed us earlier (and done something to incur the wrath of Adrian ^ ^), and that this was a wild goose chase!

One of the pleasures of overnight cycling is lying on a bench in the sun, having a nap when it has warmed up after dawn. I found such a bench in Harwich and had 10 minutes. It really does set you up for the day.

Southwold was a delight. Other than Dunwich in the dark, I'd not been beyond Harwich up that way and it was all as pretty as I had hoped.

The journey back worked perfectly. I got to the station with 20 minutes to spare so time to get food. Then there were two trains each of an hour or so's duration and I slept most of the time on both of them (thanks to people for watching my bike on the first one). I got to Liverpool St feeling as fresh as a daisy so, having wittered on about the District Line, decided I would ride over to Richmond. Cycling around London on a warm summer's evening is one of life's great joys, so I am pleased I did. Met up with other friends and chatted with one who told me he had been sailing out of the River Deben a few weeks ago (ie Shane Warne's ferry) but started to wilt after tasting the first beer. When someone else told me I looked exhausted, I made my excuses and rode home (now it was cold). Watched the highlights of the Vuelta and had a great sleep!

Do days get any better?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Glad everyone seems to have had a great time. In my absence :cry:. I had the week off for this one booked, then the date got switched round. Doing this one after work was not a sensible option. Of course, if I'd been really nuts, I could have set off from home after work and raced you all there (I've done Pompey to the smoke in five hours rolling, the DD in nine overall)....

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
As far as I'm concerned, this wasn't a FNRttC. It was a ENRttC, an Epic Night Ride to the Coast.

Here's the GPS track.

Here are some shots of the landing operations (excuse the poor quality of the pics, iPhone 3GS & heavily cropped)

7964827918_82d27f2f18.jpg

(boarding at East Mersea)

7964829672_975bbbffc6_z.jpg

(disembarkation at Felixstowe)

That lady wasn't on the ride, though.

7964828884_fd3d3b30d5.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
2031630 said:
They had merely passed us without having the manners to say hello whilst wearing kit that marked them out as a drugs cheat's fanboy, so needed chasing down.
Pot, kettle........ :tongue: At least the other one had the decency not to be wearing armwarmers in the middle of summer.

This was without doubt one of my most favourite FNRttC's ever, right up there with LonJoG.

I joined the ride at Victoria Station and as soon as the train delivered George to the concourse we headed up to Hyde Park Corner where we joined the rest of group. Fab, Fab Peeps - Tall Michael, Tall Martin, Frank - wooohooo, Graham, Paul to name a few - Davy Walnuts was confirmed as the All Up Man, ferries across to Mersey were discussed, a warning that the first stop would be at Maldon but it would be brief as the sailing timetable could not be changed.

Being a group of 16 we stayed together in a pack with only a few sets of London traffic lights separating us which meant we were able to keep moving without needing to regroup. The traditional FNRttC hazard of alcohol-filled pedestrians who staggered into the road - the female species wearing heels and skirts of the same length clinging on to bottles of booze and local lads whilst the male species were hollering enthusiasm and nonsense out of car windows.

The waymarking requirements were very few - I did some but was only in warmarking position for less than a minute before DW and Adrian appeared with the All Up Call Up. The sky played host to the most spectacular crystal clear cover I have ever, ever seen. The moon and the stars were shiny, bright and sparkly. The Plough, Venus - Orions Belt - all on show through the night, competing with the London at Night illuminations which are always impressive. Heading East over the Bow Flyover, the view of the Olympic Stadium all lit up like a crown was stunning.

Out into Essex, into the countryside, the roads were hedge lined not house lined, the traffic decreased and we were in West Hanningfield, passing East Hanningfield which always reminds me of Australia where I spent a year and where I met a family from here - this very village. My feet went round, my wheels moved on and my mind drifted back to my time all those years ago, cycling in silence but deep in happy thoughts.

We made our way through Stock - sadly no Village Hall this time - the Ford was a bit scary and I found my front wheel stuck in a ridge but managed to move out of it and the water wasn't too deep! The sky was changing - I couldnt tell if the light from the horizon was an electric hue or the new day approaching.

The temperature was on the cold side although Charlie B and Martin will disagree as shorts and shortsleeved tops were deriggeur whilst I was adding armwarmers to armwarmers! I was waymarking in the middle of nowhere and had been there for longer than a minute, heading for 10 when Frank on his fixed came back from the front to tell me that there had been a puncture at the back and he would take over the junction if I wanted. How kind! I could pedal to the front of the ride and warm up on the way. Result!

We weaved through country lanes, chatting and laughing in true FNRttC style all the way to the Coast. We headed to the first of our three boat trips - the dawn sky was out of this world and the sunrise was stunning.

The boat trips were fantastic - what a fabulous thing to do on a bike ride! The first one to Mersea I remembered from last year's speedy ride to Harwich and this time I carried my bike to the boat - avoiding sand in my chain. Sand in my shoes is unavoidable and a little never ending - sand is still pouring out of my shoes and socks!!

On to Harwich by which time the sun was up and the temperature rising. We pulled into a bus stop to remove armwarmers and things. At the ferry point we had tea and toast - a pre breakfast breakfast! Then a ferry to Felixtowe and a lovely route along the coast past a selection of seaside homes and then to the official Breakfast point. Excellent place to sit and enjoy the sunshine. Then on to boat no. 3 which deposited us on a beach.

The laughter and chatter continued, catching up with peeps I haven't seen for too long or even longer, the sun shone for all its might and we took quite the most beautiful route I have ever ridden (not counting LonJog!). Country lanes weaving through fields, up and down gently rolling hills, flat lands and flat lands past the hard works of agriculture in full bloom. We went through Picture Post Card villages, over little bridges, along narrow ones, saw a badger, fields of Pigs, sheep and cattle. All under the most beautiful clear blue sky in glorious sunshine.

Just after Walberswick, the lead of the ride was handed over to Susie who took us all along a lovely road to Southwold with practically no traffic, over another bridge, along a path and up to the centre of the town. What a picturesque place it is. We piled into a pub, Olaf bought us all a drink and then Susie did the same. Thank you! We then moved to another one nearer the sea and four of us sat on a bench overlooking the beach. The whole ride was like a Summer Holiday. Superb company, surroundings and route.

As the numbers decreased at the pub, some of us headed back to Darsham where we caught a train to Ipswich. We said our goodbyes and George and I headed to the main entrance where met by Sahar who although couldnt join us for the ride but was able to come to Ipswich so that we could all watch the start of the Tour of Britain on Sunday. Saturday night found as in an excellent restaurant followed by great little B&B who gave our bikes a room of their own on Sunday so that we could go and see Brad and Cav without worrying about where we could leave our bikes.

We stood on the side of the road and cheered like mad as they past us and then wandered around Ipswich, watching the Sky Ride, looking at architecture and just enjoying the atmosphere created by cycling.
There is no better way of seeing the environment than on a bicycle and no better way to spend time on a bicycle than on an FNRttC. Simon and Susie you are the tops.

I took some pics -
https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...&authkey=Gv1sRgCOeMsvaAuJvEEA&feat=directlink

Mice :hello:

Attachments

• 1 Gathering at Wellington Arch.jpg
    1 Gathering at Wellington Arch.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 2 Regrouping.jpg
    2 Regrouping.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 3 Heading for the Beach.jpg
    3 Heading for the Beach.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 4 Cyclists at Sea.jpg
    4 Cyclists at Sea.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 5 Sunrise.jpg
    5 Sunrise.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 6 George Redfalo and a Moulton.jpg
    6 George Redfalo and a Moulton.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 40
  • 7 What its all about.jpg
    7 What its all about.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 37

Michael Adu

Über Member
This was without doubt one of my most favourite FNRttC's ever, right up there with LonJoG.

I joined the ride at Victoria Station and as soon as the train delivered George to the concourse we headed up to Hyde Park Corner where we joined the rest of group. Fab, Fab Peeps - Tall Michael, Tall Martin, Frank - wooohooo, Graham, Paul to name a few - Davy Walnuts was confirmed as the All Up Man, ferries across to Mersey were discussed, a warning that the first stop would be at Maldon but it would be brief as the sailing timetable could not be changed.

Being a group of 16 we stayed together in a pack with only a few sets of London traffic lights separating us which meant we were able to keep moving without needing to regroup. The traditional FNRttC hazard of alcohol-filled pedestrians who staggered into the road - the female species wearing heels and skirts of the same length clinging on to bottles of booze and local lads whilst the male species were hollering enthusiasm and nonsense out of car windows.

The waymarking requirements were very few - I did some but was only in warmarking position for less than a minute before DW and Adrian appeared with the All Up Call Up. The sky played host to the most spectacular crystal clear cover I have ever, ever seen. The moon and the stars were shiny, bright and sparkly. The Plough, Venus - Orions Belt - all on show through the night, competing with the London at Night illuminations which are always impressive. Heading East over the Bow Flyover, the view of the Olympic Stadium all lit up like a crown was stunning.

Out into Essex, into the countryside, the roads were hedge lined not house lined, the traffic decreased and we were in West Hanningfield, passing East Hanningfield which always reminds me of Australia where I spent a year and where I met a family from here - this very village. My feet went round, my wheels moved on and my mind drifted back to my time all those years ago, cycling in silence but deep in happy thoughts.

We made our way through Stock - sadly no Village Hall this time - the Ford was a bit scary and I found my front wheel stuck in a ridge but managed to move out of it and the water wasn't too deep! The sky was changing - I couldnt tell if the light from the horizon was an electric hue or the new day approaching.

The temperature was on the cold side although Charlie B and Martin will disagree as shorts and shortsleeved tops were deriggeur whilst I was adding armwarmers to armwarmers! I was waymarking in the middle of nowhere and had been there for longer than a minute, heading for 10 when Frank on his fixed came back from the front to tell me that there had been a puncture at the back and he would take over the junction if I wanted. How kind! I could pedal to the front of the ride and warm up on the way. Result!

We weaved through country lanes, chatting and laughing in true FNRttC style all the way to the Coast. We headed to the first of our three boat trips - the dawn sky was out of this world and the sunrise was stunning.

The boat trips were fantastic - what a fabulous thing to do on a bike ride! The first one to Mersea I remembered from last year's speedy ride to Harwich and this time I carried my bike to the boat - avoiding sand in my chain. Sand in my shoes is unavoidable and a little never ending - sand is still pouring out of my shoes and socks!!

On to Harwich by which time the sun was up and the temperature rising. We pulled into a bus stop to remove armwarmers and things. At the ferry point we had tea and toast - a pre breakfast breakfast! Then a ferry to Felixtowe and a lovely route along the coast past a selection of seaside homes and then to the official Breakfast point. Excellent place to sit and enjoy the sunshine. Then on to boat no. 3 which deposited us on a beach.

The laughter and chatter continued, catching up with peeps I haven't seen for too long or even longer, the sun shone for all its might and we took quite the most beautiful route I have ever ridden (not counting LonJog!). Country lanes weaving through fields, up and down gently rolling hills, flat lands and flat lands past the hard works of agriculture in full bloom. We went through Picture Post Card villages, over little bridges, along narrow ones, saw a badger, fields of Pigs, sheep and cattle. All under the most beautiful clear blue sky in glorious sunshine.

Just after Walberswick, the lead of the ride was handed over to Susie who took us all along a lovely road to Southwold with practically no traffic, over another bridge, along a path and up to the centre of the town. What a picturesque place it is. We piled into a pub, Olaf bought us all a drink and then Susie did the same. Thank you! We then moved to another one nearer the sea and four of us sat on a bench overlooking the beach. The whole ride was like a Summer Holiday. Superb company, surroundings and route.

As the numbers decreased at the pub, some of us headed back to Darsham where we caught a train to Ipswich. We said our goodbyes and George and I headed to the main entrance where met by Sahar who although couldnt join us for the ride but was able to come to Ipswich so that we could all watch the start of the Tour of Britain on Sunday. Saturday night found as in an excellent restaurant followed by great little B&B who gave our bikes a room of their own on Sunday so that we could go and see Brad and Cav without worrying about where we could leave our bikes.

We stood on the side of the road and cheered like mad as they past us and then wandered around Ipswich, watching the Sky Ride, looking at architecture and just enjoying the atmosphere created by cycling.
There is no better way of seeing the environment than on a bicycle and no better way to spend time on a bicycle than on an FNRttC. Simon and Susie you are the tops.

I took some pics -
https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...&authkey=Gv1sRgCOeMsvaAuJvEEA&feat=directlink

Mice :hello:
Great Pics and Don't drop this camera!

martint235

Dog on a bike
2032191 said:
Some great pics there Miranda and I can see what your guest photographer meant. A couple of days of being provided with cooked meals with puddings and cheese and biscuits last week and I am clearly as fat as a fat thing.
Some of us were being polite and hadn't wanted to mention it.

frank9755

Cyclist
2032191 said:
Some great pics there Miranda and I can see what your guest photographer meant. A couple of days of being provided with cooked meals with puddings and cheese and biscuits last week and I am clearly as fat as a fat thing.

I'd completely forgotten all about that comment...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I reckon I've got this night ride business cracked. I'm telling you now, people, it's not going to get any better than that. Never, There isn't a better night ride out of London to be had. That's your lot.

As for the rest..........sails, pigs' blood, oystershells. Pink render, orange, sand, horizon, moon and stars. Water towers and a lighthouse. Windmills. Marshland, breckland. Cold spots and warm, soft, moist air. Roads as smooth as you like. Beer. And, more than anything, great, great company. Congratulations one and all.

(Oh - and next year I'll do two of these rides if people want me to)

Top Bottom