FNRttC FNRttC to Whitstable 5th June 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
Notsototalnewbie said:
I would say sign me up but am apprehensive about gravelly potholed descents as you well know *shudder*

As far as I recall, the supposed gravelly potholed descent wasn't particularly iffy, by anyone's standards. I think Simon is erring on the side of paranoia.

Someone else has to turn up and do spangly sock duty, my socks aren't half as impressive as yours and not at all spangly. My legs aren't really up for it either. :tongue:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I do think that one of the descents is iffy - and not just at night. And more iffy if you're on the wheel of the person in front, and you have someone directly behind you. But, then again, it's all do-able if you simply take care and take your time. And User10571 and I have come across standing water almost halfway across the road on other stretches

This is a route that can be made a good deal easier if you pay attention to your gears (which I somehow fail to do) and don't rush it. The second half is easier than the first half (although we're thinking of flattening the first half) and doing it in June means that we'll come out of Andy's cafe in daylight. The trick is to conserve a bit of energy, and not to get flustered en route to Rochester.

TimO

Guru
Well I've only done the route once, and I'm sure your memory and experience of it is much greater than mine, so possibly there was a stretch which has grown hazy in my memory. That's the problem with getting old. :tongue:

I don't think that anything on that route was too difficult, and it should be well within NSTNs experience and abilities. She's done enough FNRttCs and other rides to be well beyond having problems with most on-road rides, despite her aversion to off-roading.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacBludgeon said:
he muses and he wonders

I like your style sir. Seems it is 'only' 118km back to home in Horsham. Will muse on, and wonder about, riding all the way home to get my first double metric century in about 20+ years! No doubt I'd be on my own for most of it but it's a perfect opportunity for solo grumpiness.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ok Simon, sign me up, the Garminator's working on a route, that will hopefully remain within England. I'll send you an e-mail to verify.

Aperitif sent me a garminesque download that shows 550 odd metres of clibing in our last 38km's yesterday. Don't know if that's a lot or not, but it felt a lot.

Tompy

Notsototalnewbie said:
I would say sign me up but am apprehensive about gravelly potholed descents as you well know *shudder*

Hey remember you were gutted to miss this one last year? He's exaggerating the gravelley pot-holeness... you know how he is.

ChrisKH said:
Slot me in dellzeqq, if you have capacity. It's my 46th something or other so the cakes are on me. May also cycle back to sunny Londres to keep someone company (depending on who is up for it) subject to the usual caveat of knees, sanity, still breathing, etc. I notice Whitstable is next to Seasalter where I spent happy summers as a child. Haven't returned since.

200 km + beckons. Stupidity in the face of adversity. :angry:

Hey Chris - I found a ten year note on the floor...have you dropped one? :smile:
Whitstable? We might be heading for Dunkerque if the tide's out.;)

I'd like to be considered please.

TimO

Guru
Andrij said:
The ride down to Canterbury isn't too bad — unless, of course, you happen to be NSTN. :angry:

The ride along the Crab and Winkle Way is quite pleasant, but doesn't really seem to help with the trains, they are just as slow from Canterbury, or slower, and slightly more expensive!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Richard C
Tompy
Adrian C
User
User10571
Grumpy Greg
Arthur (hooray!) (+1?)
Flying Dodo
Andrij B
Louise L
Jakob B (+1?)
Dawn C
Marna G
Pete G
Wowbagger
Coruskate
Jonathan C
Clive B
Phillipa G
Tim O
Jane D
Tim H
McBludgeon
TJ A
Joan S
Charlotte B
Liz N
Aperitif
ChrisKH
SigSilverPrinter

ChrisKH

Guru
Aperitif said:
Hey Chris - I found a ten year note on the floor...have you dropped one? :biggrin:
Whitstable? We might be heading for Dunkerque if the tide's out.:biggrin:I'd like to be considered please.

That's what I like, fighting talk.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Notsototalnewbie said:

don't be suckered in by these speed freaks, descents are fine if you're prepared to go slow enough, I am:biggrin: While the nutters are all trying to reach 50mph and set off speed cameras, I was quite proud that my speedo never passed 28mph down Reigate Hill.

Not being an expert I'd still be prepared to hazzard a guess that the danger level in descents rises sharply with the speed factor.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacBludgeon said:
don't be suckered in by these speed freaks, descents are fine if you're prepared to go slow enough, I am:biggrin: While the nutters are all trying to reach 50mph and set off speed cameras, I was quite proud that my speedo never passed 28mph down Reigate Hill.

Not being an expert I'd still be prepared to hazard a guess that the danger level in descents rises sharply with the speed factor.

Dunno, I watched someone break their collarbone at about 7 mph yesterday evening. Ouch!

The only thing I've ever been any good at on a bike, on and off road, is descending and I'm not brilliant at that. Gravity being the force that it is, a 'big lad' like me will basically find it easier, than a much lighter rider, to accelerate more rapidly downhill to silly speeds. As a result I get an inordinate amount of satisfaction in doing freewheeling overtakes of people who are pedalling downhill secure in the knowledge that, as I can't climb for jack, they will overtake a red-faced puffing grumpygreg as soon as the incline is more than 1:100!

But IMO on FNRTttC, as in any group ride, descenders can't just "let go and drop like a stone" out of consideration for others, esp those who, with the wind rushing in their ears, have no idea you are about to go past them 20 mph faster.

Top Bottom