FNRttC: Whitstable - 12 April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Starting at midnight from under Waterloo Bridge on the Southbank (between the National Theatre cafe and the BFI), we escape The Smoke on some quieter roads, and follow the river via the magnificence of Greenwich and the Cutty Sark, before climbing for a view of the estuary then diving under the Dartford Bridge and making our way to Gravesend.

From that point on, the ride becomes ever more dream-like with quiet lanes and great views. Refreshments are taken in Strood - wonderful home made cakes and rolls from the staff of Step & Learn - before we cross the Medway and head further east through Upchurch. We bypass Sittingbourne by skirting the marshes over the atmospheric Raspberry Hill where we may spot a barn owl or two, and on to the ancient market town of Faversham. The road from Faversham to Whitstable runs across the Graveney Marshes, a delight that you can take at your own speed. We enjoy our breakfasts overlooking the sea.

There’ll be a castle, a cathedral, tanks, possibly a submarine, and almost certainly sheep.

A ride of 67 or so miles.

To join us, fill out the registration form.

kimble

Veteran
I'm in. Still giving submarines a wide berth.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mothers' Day Lunch, with tlh*, took a funny turn when she said "by the way so-and-so-and-so-and-so are coming around on Friday 12th".

Gregry's dummy firmly spat out and a spot of pantomime "Oh no they aren't!" "Oh yes they are!" took place to the vast amusement of the table next to us.

So-and-so, being my oldest friend, was promptly called and told the actualité.

Not now they aren't. ;)

*she's not my mother

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Recce done. There's good news and bad news. The good news is we have some nice sections of new tarmac. The bad news is there'll be no submarine, on account of the road being, err, no longer there. Literally. Not a huge loss because (i) it's dark so you can't see it anyway, and (ii) it involves a steep climb just after the half way stop which no-one thanks me for.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Recce done. There's good news and bad news. The good news is we have some nice sections of new tarmac. The bad news is there'll be no submarine, on account of the road being, err, no longer there. Literally. Not a huge loss because (i) it's dark so you can't see it anyway, and (ii) it involves a steep climb just after the half way stop which no-one thanks me for.
If we go over the bridge, that gives us another chance to not see it....

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

do i still come?

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
If you registered for Whitstable, you have email. If you didn't get an email and are planning on coming along, please let me know.

Top Bottom