FNRttC FNRttC York-Hull 27 July 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Team Den is fed, watered and vaguely thinking of heading in a Minsterly direction.

The cake bearers are en route. Sorry - despite the SmallestCub's enthusiasm for the idea I couldn't quite face getting the squeaky creaky tandem out and delivering cake myself! Sometimes you just have to acknowledge certain immutable truths...

View attachment 421353

kimble

Veteran
[QUOTE 5328995, member: 10119"]Hey - next year the SmallestCub will be nearly 12... who's going to pilot for him?[/QUOTE]
I nominate EldestCub...

kimble

Veteran
[QUOTE 5329009, member: 10119"]Hmm.. A strategy that could work, that. If you could bear the arguing :smile:[/QUOTE]
Traditional tandem power source, innit...

wanda2010

Guru
Brompton front wheel examined by ear. Need to call in the experts at Brompton Junction.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Right. In a nutshell: perfect ride. Not a drop of rain all night, very warm.

Several riders wore only one short sleeved shirt all night. Light winds. TBH but for a slight breeze it would often have been uncomfortably hot.

Wonderful halfway stop with simply masses of food, they were expecting 30 and had 21. Several riders paid more than the requisite £7 to ensure Jiggy and the WI are prepared to do this again next year. The Fridays, innit.

Atmosphere very friendly, we stayed as a group most of the way. No mechanicals.

We arrived one minute late at the halfway stop and at Wetherspoons at two minutes to eight.

There had obviously been horrendous torrential rain less than an hour before we arrived because we saw and avoided some massive puddles, and avoided the Naburn cycle path as we thought it'd be muddy. Very quiet roads.

Crossing The Bridge was, as always, a delight.

And Hull railway station is now a very civilised place: statue of Larkin, quotes in stone inlaid on the floor. There was a table where you could play chess against someone from the chess federation.

So, gentlemen in England now abed will regret etc etc.

Stonking night out in excellent friendly company. And as a bonus I met the audax uk vicar, which I've wanted to do for ages. Interesting chap. And might sign up for his ride in September.

This'll be the last ride I'll lead as chief steward: I'll have fond memories for a long time.

Thanks everyone, you were brilliant.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We're about 60 miles from York and moving at 125 mph. Likely to arrive in time for pizza express visit.

You can see there's not much to do when you're on your own in first class and your mates are in second class enjoying themselves.
Enjoy the free hospitality?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
This'll be the last ride I'll lead as chief steward: I'll have fond memories for a long time.

Thanks everyone, you were brilliant.

What a way to go out, a perfect (or as near to perfect hight ride as you can get) :okay:
Massive thanks for leading & doing all the pre ride work that goes unnoticed & thanks to all who made last night an enjoyable one.:cheers:

Top Bottom