FNRttC FNRttC York-Hull 27 July 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Time to get excited. And get train tickets.

Ride open. One of the best we do.

Want to know how it went last year? Look here. There's a reason so many come back to this ride.

Want something flatter than a pancake? Want to cross a massive suspension bridge in the early light of dawn? Want to ride below sea level? Want to pass the only kilometre square on any Ordnance Survey map with absolutely nothing in it?

Garthorpe for halfway stop, as last year.

Suitable for 'bents, Bromptons and fixies.

Interested? You bet. Go to the website and sign up on the registration page

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Already excited. Already got tickets.
:smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Now registered. Booked trains a couple of weeks back with Grand Central- who don't do bike reservations, it's first-come first-served, but £18.40...

kimble

Veteran
Registered. Tickets when the BloodyTrains-booking website of choice decides not to be broken...

TPE is now playing, and I have tickets. I've allowed time for a SMRBTY on the off-chance that I've achieved some cycling fitness by then.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I've given up on TPE and I bought my tickets from South Western Trains.
Arrive York 22.31, depart Hull 12.40.

Form filled in.
I had to check that I was still a member of CTC (I am but I've renewed for next year anyway).

Want to pass the only kilometre square on any Ordnance Survey map with absolutely nothing in it?
Pffft. As a key ride selling point that's pretty disingenuous. If I'm thinking of the right spot there's a pretty racy power transmission line that encroaches on that square, if not part of an actual pylon. I know of people who head there for picnics on warm evenings to take in all the electromagnetic infrastructure-based action.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
As a key ride selling point that's pretty disingenuous.
You sound as if you know what you're talking about whereas I merely repeat oft-quoted wisdom. No doubt @swansonj will be along in a minute. I understand he is an expert on the positioning of the feet of pylons.
Are we talking about this square?
(I think as I'm the ride leader I ought to know this, and we might have a short pause here, to see exactly what nothing looks like........)

upload_2018-5-25_14-41-10.png

swansonj

Guru
You sound as if you know what you're talking about whereas I merely repeat oft-quoted wisdom. No doubt @swansonj will be along in a minute. I understand he is an expert on the positioning of the feet of pylons.
Are we talking about this square?
(I think as I'm the ride leader I ought to know this, and we might have a short pause here, to see exactly what nothing looks like........)
I refer you my reply to the formerly-of-this-parish Dellers in 2013:
A-hem. Because I can sense the serious anxiety about this issue, and I sense that several of you will get no sleep until you know the answer, I am delighted to reassure you that pylon 4ZQ033 (L6 construction, straightline D tower with 2.35 m extension, built at 275 kV in 1969, uprated to 400 kV in 1971) has its base centre outside that bleakest kilometre square. But as the base dimensions of the pylon are about 11 m square, I think we'll find that the eastern two legs are about 3 or 4 metres insde the square. So that poor, bleak, kilometre square is not in fact denied the comfort of at least half a pylon.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Wee all hope you will sign up for this ride, if only to explain to us exactly what is meant by the phrase:
"4ZQ033 (L6 construction, straightline D tower with 2.35 m extension, built at 275 kV in 1969, uprated to 400 kV in 1971"
And I can't help thinking we might make a point of trying to take a GPS device to aforesaid leg. The make sure we do know the exact truth.

Or has madness taken me over?

Top Bottom