FNRttC FNRttC York-Hull 27 July 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A southerner, ignorant of northern geography, stands corrected
A pedant writes - Hull isn't really north. Hull to Berwick and Hull to Brighton are both just about 200km on the nail as the crow flies according to Professor Google's maps. At best, Hull is in the middle of England.

Back in unpedantic ungrumpy mode, I'm wondering whether circumstances might conspire to let me join you. There are a number of variables, not least my ability to ride 70 miles without collapsing.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Hull is in the middle of England.
But you're surely not suggesting it's the Midlands?!! FFS it's the east flank of Yorkshire. @ianmac62 help us out with a historical perspective please.

"circumstances might conspire to let me join you"
:wahhey:It will be great to see you and it's the easiest 70 you can find.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
A pedant writes - Hull isn't really north. Hull to Berwick and Hull to Brighton are both just about 200km on the nail as the crow flies according to Professor Google's maps. At best, Hull is in the middle of England.

Back in unpedantic ungrumpy mode, I'm wondering whether circumstances might conspire to let me join you. There are a number of variables, not least my ability to ride 70 miles without collapsing.

But you're surely not suggesting it's the Midlands?!! FFS it's the east flank of Yorkshire. @ianmac62 help us out with a historical perspective please.

"circumstances might conspire to let me join you"
:wahhey:It will be great to see you and it's the easiest 70 you can find.

I'm not from Hull originally, but Bradford which is roughly as far North as Hull & I'd consider it Nothern rather than midlands :okay:

& this is probably the easiest, but certainly the best 70 mile ride you can ever do :smile: @Shaun managed it last year with 'minimal' training :laugh: so sure you'll be fine :okay: You in again this year Shaun?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Joking aside, I'd quite like to give this ride a go but I'm not a Fridays member and I won't really know for certain if I can make it until a few days before the ride date. Is there a generally a accepted cut off point for when it's possible/polite to sign up? Cheers.

Maybe sign up now & then if you can't make it inform the ride leader ASAP :okay:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Another pedant points out, it's not 70 miles. It's two 35 mile rides, and our hosts at Garthorpe lay on a cracking halfway spread. Hope you can join us!

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
May I be the 92nd pedant who writes....

If it's 200k from Hull to Brighton how come I have twice ridden a 300k DIY perm audax from Hull to London after the York ride?

(I would get out more but my bike needs cleaning.)

kimble

Veteran
It's past Watford. It's The North. Amersham only just escapes by being off to the left

That's the Southerners' perspective.

The corresponding Northerners' one is that it's all Here Be Dragons south of about Stoke-on-Trent.

On that basis, I suggest that everything between Watford and Stoke counts as the Midlands (unless extremes of longitude cause it to be Wales or East Angular instead).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
May I be the 92nd pedant who writes....

If it's 200k from Hull to Brighton how come I have twice ridden a 300k DIY perm audax from Hull to London after the York ride?

(I would get out more but my bike needs cleaning.)
The Romans didn't build all our roads.

(And the Romans didn't only build straight roads).

It's past Watford. It's The North. Amersham only just escapes by being off to the left
The usual twitching point is Watford Gap, somewhere near Northampton.

As a proud Geordie I'm just pointing out a geographical truism - that Hull is roughly equidistant from Berwick and Brighton, so is in the middle of the country.

ianmac62

Guru
Thanks, @Gordon P and I would not want to cross swords in pedantry with @srw but only to say that the historical perspective is that the River Trent marked the traditional boundary of the north of England. The river was used, for example as the southern boundary of the late mediæval / early modern *Council of the North*.

Top Bottom