FNRttC FNRttC York-Hull 27 July 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
:laugh::laugh:
I fear the only way to settle this once and for all is a visit to check, in daylight, perhaps by @StuAff as he rides back to York afterwards, as is his wont.
That or the entire ride wandering round the muddy field in the dark, brandishing GPS units. Which we ought to avoid, IMO.

And as for the train journey south, the back of my eyelids needed close inspecton for some time after the excitement of discovering avocado in Hull Wetherspoons.

Venod

Eh up
The bleakest kilometre square becomes less bleak at 1:25k

square.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Train was slightly late (train manager had to open up the rear door for a bloomin' cyclist). Usual slog down to Waterloo, got bike on before every available space was taken by Ride London peeps. A family with a flotilla of luggage and child conveyance were trying to put it in the bike space when I got there. Moved (without issues) for me, then two more bikes came along, then two more...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
We'll definitely try to run this ride again next year - it has everything! Flat, interesting, good halfway stop, and reasonably cheap train fares. And it's good, as a matter of principle, to get out of That London now and again.
For anyone interested in copying this ride - here's the track on RidewithGPS. Feel free to use it.
good luck.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/26050598

(By the way, it's raining there today. We dodged quite a few bullets on Friday night.......)
Stop bluddy saying its flat.

It is not bluddy flat.

Romney Marsh is flat.

;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Train was slightly late (train manager had to open up the rear door for a bloomin' cyclist). Usual slog down to Waterloo, got bike on before every available space was taken by Ride London peeps. A family with a flotilla of luggage and child conveyance were trying to put it in the bike space when I got there. Moved (without issues) for me, then two more bikes came along, then two more...
Three times Saturday I asked at Doncaster what end will the bike spaces be. Three times I was referred to the sign at the northern end of platform one.

THREE TIMES.

Train turns up and I have to do the M to A run, the whole length of the train.

And they wonder why I'm grumpy. FFS.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Maps are representations of reality. According to the map the road outside my house is 50m wide.

The map and reality are both correct but different.
And satellite photos on googlG earth are just maps.

You'd need to send a representative of NatiinaN Grid armed with a very precise GPS unit (or, preferably, a theodolite and a known baseline) into the field to ascertain the exact position of the pylon's legs.

Venod

Eh up
You'd need to send a representative of NatiinaN Grid armed with a very precise GPS unit (or, preferably, a theodolite and a known baseline) into the field to ascertain the exact position of the pylon's legs.

I positioned the cursor on the SE corner of the pylon and it came up with the grid coordinates shown (the cursor didn't print from the screen grab) this would seem to confirm as suggested, that part of the pylon is indeed in the square.

square.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I positioned the cursor on the SE corner of the pylon and it came up with the grid coordinates shown (the cursor didn't print from the screen grab) this would seem to confirm as suggested, that part of the pylon is indeed in the square.

View attachment 421675
It confirms that on the online OS map your cursor is in the square. Unless we know that the map is accurate to the metre it doesn't say anything about the pylon.

Venod

Eh up
It confirms that on the online OS map your cursor is in the square. Unless we know that the map is accurate to the metre it doesn't say anything about the pylon.

I thought the question was, " Is this the bleakest square on the OS map ?" (@1:50k) as a bit of the pylon is in the square on the OS map it answers the question.

I agree it doesn't prove the accuracy of OS mapping.

Top Bottom