FNRttC FNRttC York-Hull 27 July 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My suspicion is that @swansonj has access to, and has just posted an extract from, a TOP SECRET map of pylons plotted much more accurately than the rubbish they let you and I see. So considerations of road width on the public maps is irrelevant.
Agreed if he's gone all secret squirrel on us.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's my point; ordinary OS maps are deliberately inaccurate, they have to be. And it isn't just road sizes, hence my point that a thing, any thing, being shown on the map as being this big or that big may not be that size in reality.

It's all the fault of Mercator's Projection.

Or possibly not.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Fairly sure the OS national grid (not to be confused with the pylons one) assumes that the British Isles are flat, so Mercator's off the hook for this one.
Elephants and turtles left as an exercise for the reader...

Makes sense.

I've ridden that road half-a-dozen times and after mature reflection I've decided it's slightly uphill heading east.

Probably one of the smallest gradients most of us would come across, but it's steep enough to make it difficult to get any sort of momentum.

Doing it into a headwind, which I did once, turns it into quite a challenge.

That was the time I picked up several audaxers who used me on my ebike as shelter for a few miles.

One of them even called out 'thank you' when I peeled off towards the bridge at Scunthorpe.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
42982728474_f6d2f0dbed_h.jpg

One for a Northern ghost signs ride....(if it looks in good nick, then it should, it got repainted in 2012!). Bile beans were a snake oil product that somehow were still being sold in the eighties (yes, the 1980s). Rather a lot of things in the York area carry the Fulford name...they ran the business and made a lot of money!

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
Missed this.

Anyone got a map of the route. Would be interested to see which way you went.

Top Bottom