FNRttC FNRttC York-Hull 27 July 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I thought the question was, " Is this the bleakest square on the OS map ?" (@1:50k) as a bit of the pylon is in the square on the OS map it answers the question.

I agree it doesn't prove the accuracy of OS mapping.
I can think of a few urban grid squares, and a few rural Welsh ones, which, on the ground, are far, far bleaker. I think, even if the pylon foot is in that square, and nonewithstanding that the drains/ditches in it are man made structures, that is a very, very, very, empty featureless square. Chortle... especially in the dark.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Missing friends aside, that was one of the best night rides I've done.
The highlight for me has always been the road from Goole with the Trent on the left and above with the navigation lights stretching out ahead. Awesome.
The rest isn't bad either.
Despite the predicted train doom, I got to York pretty much on time and there was none of the expected argy-bargy trying to get the bike into the bike space. Not remembering my headphones was a big mistake though; I had to listen to the drivel spouted by fellow passengers. It made the journey seem much longer than it actually was.
The train didn't terminate at Leeds so my contingency plan to ride from there to Goole (thankfully) wasn't needed.
Instead, I got to ride through a partially blacked out York to spend time at the Den with the ever lovely Crinkly Lion and the (much bigger than last time I'd seen them) cubs. It had also been a while since I'd last seen Ruth so it was good to meet up with her again. A further bonus was seeing fboab again and meeting her parents (happy birthday Father fboab).
The rest of the evening was just fabulous. From the puddles and debris on the road, it was obvious that we'd missed some proper weather. I suspect, in certain places, by not much time at all. Phew !
The food stop was as good as I remembered it and I hope that we can generate enough interest next year to make it worth their while to cater for us again.. I broke my golden rule for buffets; go up once, get a plate full then only go back once more and get less than half the original plate. I felt the over-indulgence later on but, on the positive side, I wasn't hungry in Wetherspoons so I didn't feel the need for breakfast. Or at least the solid part of breakfast........
As ever, the bridge didn't disappoint and the run in to Hull proved to me again that all rides are 10km too long; by that stage, I just want to get there.
Strangely, Gordon P and I were the only ones to get a beer when the bar opened at 09.00. I say "the only ones". More accurately, we were the only riders to get drinks; most of the rest of the pub's occupants were very eager to have something........
Gordon and I were, of course, only drinking out of a sense of duty, to toast the much missed wanda2010, a victim of bike issues on the way to the train to York. I have to confess that we didn't manage to drink them dry (as on previous occasions with wanda present) but, since they only had Guinness and not some more esoteric stouts as they've had in the past, that's probably a good thing.
My train home had been cancelled (shortage of guards) so I was advised to get the next service "No bike reservations that I'm aware of" said the nice man in the ticket office. Hhhmmm. Was he just trying to make me someone else's problem ? From experiences on the recent recces and the actual Manchester-Blackpool FNRttC, that would seem to be the usual MO.
To fill the time in, I bought a paper, looked at Trip Advisor for nearby pubs and found a gem, the Hop and Vine. It too was running late so I sat outside in the sun until they opened and I had a very pleasant hour with a beer.
There were no other bikes on the train and again, I managed to pile on and get the bike space before it was filled with huge suitcases (train terminated at MCR airport). Not for the first time, I regretted the lack of headphones.......
On the approach to MCR the weather was typically Mancunican with a capital M but it was dry when I got off and for the ride home.
Result.
Again.

The rest of Saturday was spent watching the TdeF time trial before an early night.
Sunday consisted of a trip out for coffee and breakfast before steak and chips with Champagne for our traditional last day of Le Tour celebration.
It was a great way to finish a terrific weekend with the FNRttC being the highlight.

Many, many thanks to mmmmartin for keeping the ride going this year. It is, I think, my favourite FNRttC, Thanks also to mcshroom for looking after the back of the ride and to everyone else for their fabulous company.
Loved it.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
thought the question was, " Is this the bleakest square on the OS map ?" (@1:50k) as a bit of the pylon is in the square on the OS map it answers the question.
I believe we know that it is the bleakest 1:50k grid square on the OS map (land-based only, and @GrumpyGregry jokes about Croydon notwithstanding). What is in question is whether the pylon which, on the map, creeps into the square is actually in the square in real life.

srw

And back on topic, having failed to make it north this year I really want to next year. That means that someone needs to keep the northern rides alive, and that I need to get my spare Brompton with its 8-speed wheel rideable.

Venod

Eh up
What is in question is whether the pylon which, on the map, creeps into the square is actually in the square in real life.

The National Grid is a reference system used on mapping to identify the position of a feature, (its not identifiable on the ground) given that the Grid is an OS invention and the survey of the pylon will have been by the OS, I see no reason to dispute it.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Rest assured srw that, if I'm physically (and mentally come to that; those ride leader evaluations are very strenuous and wide ranging) fit, Manchester-Blackpool or Morecambe will run next year.
I'd advise a full sized bike for the hills. Just saying...........

York-Hull on a Brompton would be fine.

srw

The National Grid is a reference system used on mapping to identify the position of a feature, (its not identifiable on the ground) given that the Grid is an OS invention and the survey of the pylon will have been by the OS, I see no reason to dispute it.
I believe that it's well established (in this thread and others) that the OS doesn't plot pylons on the 1:50k maps. It plots the position of electricity lines and then adds symbols which indicate that the dotted line represents an electricity line. Some of those symbols happen to coincide roughly with the real-world position of pylons.

If only (@swansonj) there was a National Grid guru on the forum.

srw

I'd advise a full sized bike for the hills. Just saying...........
Hence the 8-speed hill-climber wheel. The cunning plan (concocted when I can't have been in full posession of my senses) was to set up my second Brompton as a tourer with a very low gear that could tackle hills. In order for that plan to work (a) I need to get the bike working, and (b) I need to get my body more able to climb hills.

Venod

Eh up
I believe that it's well established (in this thread and others) that the OS doesn't plot pylons on the 1:50k maps.

But it does plot pylons on 1:25k maps as shown in my map up thread.

swansonj

Guru
upload_2018-7-31_20-4-10.png

According to the Ordnance Survey:
Centre outside the grid square
Eastern two legs inside the grid square

swansonj

Guru
This does seem to crop up every year! From 2013.
A-hem. Because I can sense the serious anxiety about this issue, and I sense that several of you will get no sleep until you know the answer, I am delighted to reassure you that pylon 4ZQ033 (L6 construction, straightline D tower with 2.35 m extension, built at 275 kV in 1969, uprated to 400 kV in 1971) has its base centre outside that bleakest kilometre square. But as the base dimensions of the pylon are about 11 m square, I think we'll find that the eastern two legs are about 3 or 4 metres insde the square. So that poor, bleak, kilometre square is not in fact denied the comfort of at least half a pylon.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hence the 8-speed hill-climber wheel. The cunning plan (concocted when I can't have been in full posession of my senses) was to set up my second Brompton as a tourer with a very low gear that could tackle hills. In order for that plan to work (a) I need to get the bike working, and (b) I need to get my body more able to climb hills.
in first on an 8 speed it climbs them unassisted. If you bring yours next year I'll bring mine. But I draw a line at kilts.

srw

But if the square on the map represents, accurately, an 11m square pylon then the nearby road is roughly twice as wide, or about 22m wide. Which it isn't, surely?
My suspicion is that @swansonj has access to, and has just posted an extract from, a TOP SECRET map of pylons plotted much more accurately than the rubbish they let you and I see. So considerations of road width on the public maps is irrelevant.

Top Bottom