focus vs cube vs planet x - help needed pls!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkey magic

Can anyone help me with a big decision… I am a returning 40 something:cry: cyclist and want to buy a road bike, budget 1000 quid. I have been looking around and have narrowed the possibilities down to 3 bikes – the focus cayo, the cube streamer and planet x pro carbon - I hear that you can try the focus out for 7 days and return if not happy thru wiggle. I can get test rides on the other 2 it seems. Does anyone have any advice regarding these bikes? should i buy from a lbs as opposed to a web bizness? All knowledge appreciated as my road bike knowledge is small but hoping to change that with a purchase of a great bike...:wacko:

domtyler

Über Member
I have a 2006 Focus Cayo and really love it. As far as bang for buck goes, the internet brands cannot be beaten, all carbon frame and Ultegra groupie for £800 for a 2007 Cayo? I paid a grand for mine for gods sake!

The downside is seeing everyone else out on the same bike of course.

OP
OP
M

monkey magic

many thanks for that info, not too bothered by everyone else with same bike! can always look the other way and fall off at same time. did you consider other bikes at the time? also, how is the riding position? is it stretched out or more of a relaxed position... i know that i am going to need to try before i buy...cheers

sheddy

Legendary Member
Support your LBS.
OT but if you've not ridden for some years you might consider spending a lot less (or even secondhand) and riding for a while before committing to spending serious money

OP
OP
M

monkey magic

ok may test the planet x - i am in london so will try to find shop to try. also a friend has a friend who has a focus so that might help too. any further comments appreciated. thanks.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
sheddy said:
Support your LBS.

Meant to add my approval of this advice too - I got my SCR2.0 from a great shop - internet was no cheaper, and the shop did a perfect setup of the bike and gave me a decent discount for being in the CTC.

(Plus they're around to have a look at any niggles that might be encountered :smile: )

Tynan

Veteran
condor cycles?

cracking range hand built to fit, with a fit thrown in free

domtyler

Über Member
You don't need to feel obliged to pay more just to get it locally if you don't want to and can get it much cheaper elsewhere. They are all just businesses, set up to make a profit for the owners, spend your money as you see fit.

domtyler

Über Member
monkey magic said:
many thanks for that info, not too bothered by everyone else with same bike! can always look the other way and fall off at same time. did you consider other bikes at the time? also, how is the riding position? is it stretched out or more of a relaxed position... i know that i am going to need to try before i buy...cheers

The Focus is a race bike and has a low profile. Riding position is suited for road racing and sportives.

Monkey Boy

Cayo rules!

Day off today and got the Cayo out for her first ride this year. I'm hoping the winter bike has served it's purpose....with the exception off next weekend where I have signed up to do a bike mech course at Edinburger Bikes. What a joy it was on the Cayo. Light, nimble, great for the hilly bits (compact chainset), just ace. I also considered the Planet X.....but £1k for full carbon and Ultegra could not be passed up. You can get last years bike for £800 on Wiggle....wot are you waiting for? Just do it.

OP
OP
M

monkey magic

thanks to all for input and advice so far - yes my cycling mate i met tonight also told me to stop delaying and just get on that bike. i saw a guy on a focus tonight and i think that is an omen! the debate about lbs and bigger bizness is one which is def a consideration in this age. i am sure marx would have a word or a few thousand about that....

GrahamG

Guru
I'm going to jump on your point about frame geometry/riding position - all of these £1k 'bargains' appear to gear more towards racers. As much as I like to go quick, I'd probably be better off with a more relaxed geometry. Does anyone know of any similar such bargains but on a less 'racy' frame?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I'm going to jump on your point about frame geometry/riding position - all of these £1k 'bargains' appear to gear more towards racers. As much as I like to go quick, I'd probably be better off with a more relaxed geometry. Does anyone know of any similar such bargains but on a less 'racy' frame?

I'm at the 'more relaxed geometry' stage too. :sad:
The Felt Z series appeals, (the Z35, with 105, had a great review in C+ but it's £1300) http://www.feltbikes.co.uk/road-z-spec.php?id=20 as does the Bianchi 928 C2C 105, for 1p less !

Reviews of both:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/z35-08-27748
and
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/928-c2c-105-08-28019

Once I get the building work completed ["end of the month"], I plan to have test rides on these and the Planet X, to see how they all go. I might start with a Giant SCR something, to get a 'baseline' feel.
If I can squeeze the extra £300, the Felt/Bianchi might just win - and the Bianchi is GORGEOUS :smile::smile:

Can anyone provide any experience/wisdom please ?
I have an 82 mile Drumlanrig Tear Fund Challenge in May, as well as the Etape Caledonia 2 weeks later ;):sad::eek:

Top Bottom